What's next in HD for E*

kstuart, i know what you are saying and fully agree with you on this matter!

The only new HD in the air according to lyngsat is 4 starz channels on galaxy 13.

The idea that channels "don't exist" because they aren't on Lyngsat is absurd. For an easy example, try finding the masters feeds of Voom or most RSNs on Lyngsat. You won't because they're distributed by fiber.

kstuart, i know what you are saying and fully agree with you on this matter!

The only new HD in the air according to lyngsat is 4 starz channels on galaxy 13.

There are quite a few HD channels that aren't uplinked on C-Band anymore, and are distributed only via fiber.

However, there were several channels on that list that I don't remember ever hearing a release about, namely all of the MTV Networks. MHD exists today, but MTV-HD, VH1-HD, and CMT-HD don't exist and I don't recall seeing a press release saying they are coming. If that's the case, why did E* launch MHD last month when these new channels are on their way?

It just seems to me that everyone is thinking that Directv is going to have this monsterous HD lineup when the actual HD channels are not available yet. Whether they are fiber or not or whatever, I don't care...but I don't see why everyone is getting all excited thinking that 'their' favorite channel will be in HD on Directv when in all actuality Directv has stated several times that they will offer a 'stretch-o-version' of the SD version of the channel until the HD version is available, so if you think Disney HD, ABC Family HD or whatever is actually HD then switch to Directv, but I'd rather Dish not choose to do the same, these things are misleading and its seems no one knows these things, just cause Directv is adding stretched out SD versions and calling them HD now everyone thinks they are real channels broadcasting HD when they will be added to Directv as stretched SD and relabeled...

As for the RSN's that seem to be fibered, you will find a lot of Fox Sports Networks on Galaxy 15, and Galaxy 11, and AMC 1, YES is on AMC 1, STO, MASN, and a few others are on Galaxy 23 (121 degrees), NESN is on AMC 11, Comcast Sports Nets are scattered throughout AMC 3, Galaxy 11, and AMC 1, Altitude is on AMC 11, Big Ten is on Galaxy 15...so as far as all the RSN's being fibered, recheck your claim my friend!

It just seems to me that everyone is thinking that Directv is going to have this monsterous HD lineup when the actual HD channels are not available yet. Whether they are fiber or not or whatever, I don't care...but I don't see why everyone is getting all excited thinking that 'their' favorite channel will be in HD on Directv when in all actuality Directv has stated several times that they will offer a 'stretch-o-version' of the SD version of the channel until the HD version is available, so if you think Disney HD, ABC Family HD or whatever is actually HD then switch to Directv, but I'd rather Dish not choose to do the same, these things are misleading and its seems no one knows these things, just cause Directv is adding stretched out SD versions and calling them HD now everyone thinks they are real channels broadcasting HD when they will be added to Directv as stretched SD and relabeled...

At the same time, if the stretch-o-vision version of the channel is better than the standard verstion, why not upconvert them all until a genuine hd version is available. I hate watching sd channels on my hdtv. Is it misleading? Yes. But I would take it for the time being.

At the same time, if the stretch-o-vision version of the channel is better than the standard verstion, why not upconvert them all until a genuine hd version is available.

For me it is not better, just hate TNT stretch-o-vision likes.

I hate watching sd channels on my hdtv. Is it misleading? Yes. But I would take it for the time being.

I hate SD too, that is why I am not watching it. And I am not watching any stretch-o-vision material. The only thing I can moderate is upconverted widescreen SD like FOX is doing sometimse (NFL pregame show, for ex.)

This upconverted stuff scares me. Many people have HD TVs and dont even know they're not watching HD. (resolution set to 480, watching the SD version of the channel instead of the HD, not using HD cables, etc). To many people, this upconverted stuff would be a big improvement, and they'd be quite happy, and never be the wiser - ever.

What I've read on this board yesterday about CNBC worries me. They apparently are not even going to use HD cameras? Will use 4:3 for the video, and use the pillar portion for graphics? What really scares me about THAT is that i could easily see other companies deciding to use the pillars throughout the program to promote their network's other shows/commercials, etc.

Anyone see Lewis Black on the Emmys Sunday night? Bitching about the pop-ups during programs. It was a riot.

Are you telling me that tnt hd is no better in pq than the sd version? Again, I am not saying that all channels should be done this way, but if it could be done TEMPORARILY until the hd version is up and running, I would be ok with that.

I agree with DanLee. SD upconverted on my HDTV looks 200% better than SD stretched by the 622. I hate the black pillars and can't stand to watch SD with them.

They can have 100 free transponders, and if the channels are not broadcasting yet, D* cannot add them.

Exactly. They adverise Sci-Fi HD as one of their proposed HD channels, but Scifi.com doesn't have a peep about a possible HD offering. So either DirecTV is BSing, or they plan on simply upconverting the SD sci-fi feed.

If I were NutraSystem I would be pissed at the way many of these channels show my commercials. Seeing Valerie Bertinelli and Kirstie Alley stretched so that they look bigger than what the looked like before they used NutraSystem is not a good selling point for the product. One would think that the advertisers would object to the way their commercials are aired.

Are you telling me that tnt hd is no better in pq than the sd version? Again, I am not saying that all channels should be done this way, but if it could be done TEMPORARILY until the hd version is up and running, I would be ok with that.

ME too. I think that DISH could upconvert all the channels they wanted to do and then when they went really hd they could put the real hd feed on. It sure would look better than the black bars that are up there now. I want all of my screen filled when I watch tv and I don't like the way sd looks stretched by the 622/722 . An upconverted picture at the source or at uplink , would look much better.

TNT is an HD station, that does the upconverting, and everything on their end.

If the other channels, (Sci-fi, Com. Central, etc), want to do that, thats one thing, but for the Sat co. to do it on their own is a different animal all together.

I'm beginning to think Charlie is holding back more new HD from us. I expect as soon as D* gets their act together and launches their new channels Charlie will counter the hype with an announcement that E* is adding most if not all of the same channels a few days later.

Let's all think good thoughts and hope D* gets their channels up next week.

I'm beginning to think Charlie is holding back more new HD from us. I expect as soon as D* gets their act together and launches their new channels Charlie will counter the hype with an announcement that E* is adding most if not all of the same channels a few days later.

Let's all think good thoughts and hope D* gets their channels up next week.

I think that CE and E* are doing everything they can until the new bird launches. It should have been launching about now; but the Sea Launch failure in January has thrown them a curve they were not expecting to get.

Then again who actually plans for a failure like that? If D* didn't have successful bird launches they would have been SOL.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens until the next E* bird flies.

Cheers,

It looks like we are going to have thousands and thousands of Bullsh!t posts on satellite Forums this week.
I am sure we will, but thats ok. Lots of new folks are getting excited by the technology.

We will hopefully get to inform them of the correct information :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)