What's on?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gittist

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
We're thinking about a FTA system but wondering if it's simply going to duplicate what we have on Dish 'America's 250' (whatever it's called) or the ROKU?

Unfortunately our language skills are limited to English, ordering beer, and insults so we need mostly English channels although I'll admit the last time I was in Italy I spent an hour watching Bonanza in Italian.

Of the lists I've seen, most of the channels are religion based; nothing wrong with that but not interested unless there's some non-religious programming. I've seen references to ABC & PBS feeds but no info on what's on the feed.

Is there something like a TV guide for FTA?

What are you watching that I'm not already getting?

Any info appreciated.

Tim

I'll give a go at it, but I'm sure others with more experience than me will add to it.

On 125W where the PBS reside, there is also Montana PBS and the OETA (Oklahoma's PBS stations) and they sometimes have different programming from your local PBS might be carrying.

If you enjoy older TV Programming, then 103W and COZI-TV is there, as well as NBC Feeds.

Then there is the fun of hopping around and finding different feeds. They range from breaking news, to college and pro sports to educational type transmissions.

All of this on Ku band, the small dish. If you go with a C band or BUD (Big Ugly Dish) you will get a great deal more.

Last edited:
Nope, nothing like your Dish 'America's 250'
Take a look at the ENGLISH Language Channels Available with Free-To-Air Systems at http://www.global-cm.net/mpeg2central.html
The C band requires a BIG dish (10ft desired) while the Ku require a small dish (36 inch)
What are you watching that I'm not already getting?
Everything , that's not encrypted, on the satellites that 'beams' our way.

BTW: this is a DIY hobby. No one to call if 'service' is in need of service.

Welcome to the site! Yep nothing like DISH. Some 24hr stuff that stays mostly the same. The fun is all the wild feeds. FTA in North America is mostly a hobby. Stuff comes and goes. There is no plug and play and there is no EPG(guide).

Thanks for the info. What about commercials? I watch TV with the remote in hand and finger on the mute button for when "Hi, my name is Doug..". or some other commercial comes on. The Discovery Channel is so bad in the last 15 minutes of a show I simply turn it off

I VCR/DVR all I am going to watch via 'conventional' (Subscription) means, then skip past the commercials later. Cut's ~33% time wasted watching the 'boob tube'. A 1 hour show DONE in about 40 minutes. Some FTA 'channels' and feeds go to a blank screen during 'commercial time'.

Thanks for the info. What about commercials? I watch TV with the remote in hand and finger on the mute button for when "Hi, my name is Doug..". or some other commercial comes on. The Discovery Channel is so bad in the last 15 minutes of a show I simply turn it off

You might see a benefit there. When I watch something on my dad's Dish Network setup, I am frustrated by the quantity of commercials. It annoys me a lot more since going FTA. As FaT Air said, a lot of the feeds go blank during commercial time (or even better, show what's going on behind the scenes) ... and some channels, such as KTV2 out of Kuwait, cuts out the during-program commercials all together, except five times a day when it's time to pray.

On other english language options, other than those mentioned above, there is also Ebru TV, with a mix of british, australian and other foreign programming if not in english then dubbed to english, and with commercials. Ebru is available on Dish but on the International basic package.

KTV2 mentioned by northgeorgia is one of my faves also.

The other shows that I watch in english are american series and movies, beaming from Cuban channels, and without commercials ;)

Cozi is ku? I've never received it here in western kentucky

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Cozi is ku? I've never received it here in western kentucky

You might have to adjust the skew on your lnbf for Cozi TV, since it's on the 103 bird with the weird skew. Some of us have a separate, dedicated dish on 103 just for that reason. Good news is, I have read that this satellite is due to be replaced soon, the new sat is supposedly going to be skewed normally as the rest of the satellites.

You might have to adjust the skew on your lnbf for Cozi TV, since it's on the 103 bird with the weird skew. Some of us have a separate, dedicated dish on 103 just for that reason. Good news is, I have read that this satellite is due to be replaced soon, the new sat is supposedly going to be skewed normally as the rest of the satellites.

Im motorized so what so I do

Im motorized so what so I do

1. Set up a separate dish for that satellite with the special skew.
2. Be patient. A new satellite has already been put in orbit that won't require the special skew. In the near future, 103W will be no different than any other satellite in the sky.
3. Get a PLL LNBF, which will lock onto weaker signals and bring you more stability, although this isn't 100% reliable.
4. Do nothing. Some nights it may come in clear and other nights it may not.

I kind of do #2, #3, and #4 right now.

Mount a second offset LNBF that is skewed for the these channels. Program a second satellite position for this DiSEqC 1.2 position and add a 22KHz switch for this skewed offset LNBF.

Brian Gohl
Titanium Satellite

Another thing that may be tried: Worth a 'try' anyway -
Skew your existing LNBF 10 degrees CW (when looking at the dish face). This is ~ half the 'offset skew' of 103Ku. May afford enough gain to get it without loosing too much on the other satellites.
Once the replacement satellite is turned on, put the skew back to "0".
Let us know 'how it goes'.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Motor for a Winegard 1m dish

New KU band TP on Galaxy 19 97W

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)