What's the answer? DishComm & Ethernet

OverRHeads

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
Northern Arkansas
I have done alot of research in the forums and have read many contradictions on this topic so I would like people to respond on their setup and let me know definitively if this will work or not.

• I have a 622 in my living room that feeds the bedroom also.
  • I just switched to Eastern Arc and "Dished Up" from a 322 to a 222k in another bedroom.
  • My installer set up DishComm between the 622 and 222k before he left and said that if I hook up an ethernet cable to either of the boxes, they will both now be "online" and I will not incur the $5.00 fee.
  • I do not have a landline so ethernet is my only option. However, I do not want to have to run another ethernet cable or buy a homeplug if it is not absolutely necessary!!!!
I have read a few posts that say this is NOT POSSIBLE and then someone else posts and says that their setup indeed DOES work that way.

Do theses boxes share ethernet connectivity through the DishComm?

****Update****
I connected my ethernet cable to my 622 and it shows that it is connected but my 222k will not connect.

Last edited:
As long as you have phone line connections on all of your receivers it won't matter if you have ethernet connected. It is either phone or ethernet , not both as a requirement to beat the phone line fee. Also keep your receivers all plugged into the plug in the wall, not the surge protector and they should share the phone line if at least one is plugged in.

Yes as long as one receivers ethernet is hooked up to the internet and both receivers can see each other via DishCOMM then the $5 fee is waived.

Check your network settings on each receiver and both should have an IP address. You should also be able to access DishOnline VOD from both receivers, the VOD is downloaded from the internet. :)

As long as you have phone line connections on all of your receivers it won't matter if you have ethernet connected. It is either phone or ethernet , not both as a requirement to beat the phone line fee. Also keep your receivers all plugged into the plug in the wall, not the surge protector and they should share the phone line if at least one is plugged in.

As I stated above, I do not have a landline so phone connections are not possible. ;)

I did unplug my receiver from the surge protector and my strength in the DishComm screen went from poor to excellent! However, it will not show up as being connected to the router.

Yes as long as one receivers ethernet is hooked up to the internet and both receivers can see each other via DishCOMM then the $5 fee is waived.

Check your network settings on each receiver and both should have an IP address. You should also be able to access DishOnline VOD from both receivers, the VOD is downloaded from the internet. :)

Thanks for the reply Scott!! My receivers CAN see each other via DishComm but I cannot get an IP address on the Network Setup screen of the 222k which is not physically connected to the ethernet cable and I can on the 622 that is connected to the ethernet cable. Any suggestions?

After thinking about it N0QCU is correct, I forgot I have a Slinglink ehternet to powerline adaptor on my network and that is why all my ViP receivers can see the internet. I forgot I have that... it also shows up as a DishCOMM device.

I'VE GOT THE LOWDOWN!!!!!!!

I called Dish and discussed this with the technical department and got some good news!

When you have two boxes connected through DishComm and only one connected to ethernet you DO NOT GET THE $5.00 CHARGE! With that said, I guess you guys are correct that the boxes don't "share" an ethernet connection through DishComm. However, if two boxes are DishComm'd together (thus meaning on the same electrical system. i.e. in the same house) and one of them is connected to an ethernet cable, Dish can then deduce that both boxes are in the same house and will waive the $5.00 fee.

The only downfall is that the box that is not physically connected to an ethernet cable will not be able to access the pay-per-view and on demand features. Therefore, I would suggest if you are only going to hook up one box, make it your primary viewing box (mine is in living room).

I know some might suggest that I happened to connect the ethernet cable to my "2nd" receiver and since Dish waived the fee for the first one, that is why I am not being charged. Instead, I verifed on Dish's website that my 622 is listed as my primary receiver (the one that there is no fee for) and that is the one that is connected to the ethernet cable. Therefore, my 222k (my second receiver that is incurring the $5.00 charge) is definately "talking" either directly or indirectly to Dish just enough to not charge me the no phone line fee.

I hope this helps anyone in the same situation!

As I stated above, I do not have a landline so phone connections are not possible. ;)

I did unplug my receiver from the surge protector and my strength in the DishComm screen went from poor to excellent! However, it will not show up as being connected to the router.

Sorry, I missed the part about the phone line. I used a netgear plug in device for my internet in the other rooms in the house and my kid's 211k saw the internet even though there was no plug in his room. I kept all the receivers plugged through the wall outlets and they see each other .

Sorry, I missed the part about the phone line. I used a netgear plug in device for my internet in the other rooms in the house and my kid's 211k saw the internet even though there was no plug in his room. I kept all the receivers plugged through the wall outlets and they see each other .

Thanks for the reply! When you say your kid's 211k saw the internet even though there was not plug, do you mean it was not plugged into anything but the power outlet where it gets DishComm? If so, when you go in to the network of the receiver, do you have an IP address listed?

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply! When you say your kid's 211k saw the internet even though there was not plug, do you mean it was not plugged into anything but the power outlet where it gets DishComm? If so, when you go in to the network of the receiver, do you have an IP address listed?

Thanks!

Yes it was plugged into the wall socket and it saw the internet . Yes it had an Ip address.

I'VE GOT THE LOWDOWN!!!!!!!

I called Dish and discussed this with the technical department and got some good news!

When you have two boxes connected through DishComm and only one connected to ethernet you DO NOT GET THE $5.00 CHARGE! With that said, I guess you guys are correct that the boxes don't "share" an ethernet connection through DishComm. However, if two boxes are DishComm'd together (thus meaning on the same electrical system. i.e. in the same house) and one of them is connected to an ethernet cable, Dish can then deduce that both boxes are in the same house and will waive the $5.00 fee.

The only downfall is that the box that is not physically connected to an ethernet cable will not be able to access the pay-per-view and on demand features. Therefore, I would suggest if you are only going to hook up one box, make it your primary viewing box (mine is in living room).

I know some might suggest that I happened to connect the ethernet cable to my "2nd" receiver and since Dish waived the fee for the first one, that is why I am not being charged. Instead, I verifed on Dish's website that my 622 is listed as my primary receiver (the one that there is no fee for) and that is the one that is connected to the ethernet cable. Therefore, my 222k (my second receiver that is incurring the $5.00 charge) is definately "talking" either directly or indirectly to Dish just enough to not charge me the no phone line fee.

I hope this helps anyone in the same situation!

This mirrors my experence as well (just so you don't have to trust a CSR). I have two 622's and had the basement hooked up to ethernet and the upstairs on Dishcomm with the basement receiver. There was no 'no phone line' fee while I had this setup. There was also no ethernet 'sharing' (i.e. no VOD and no remote scheduling) with this setup so I eventually upgraded to powerline ethernet for my upstairs devices (blu-ray with netflix, htpc, VIP-622).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)