whats the benefit of upgrading

Emma Peel

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
Sorry if this is posted somewhere but I searched and all the threads seem to be about multiple hopper/joey configs.

Only have one tv. Dont need another. Currently have a 722.

Question, other then drive size and the 3rd tuner is there any other benefits to the hopper if I only have one tv? Will dish even let you get it and only have the hopper and no joeys?

Thanks.

You would pay $4/month more for the whole home fee even if you do not have any joeys.

You would gain PTAT/third tuner and more disk space.

You would gain fancy looking menus.

You would gain a 2 year commitment

For a single TV, I think you're best off as you are. That may change by this weekend, with Team Summit going on, but I doubt it.

Some more pros: faster guide/interface, better remote, PTAT

some more cons: lack of OTA (supposedly coming later this year), small bugs and usability issues that can be annoying (till they get fixed), $100 more in upfront costs for existing customers per hopper

As navychop said, the benefits are smaller when it's only 1 room and you're already on decent equipment.

Sorry if this is posted somewhere but I searched and all the threads seem to be about multiple hopper/joey configs.

Only have one tv. Dont need another. Currently have a 722.

Question, other then drive size and the 3rd tuner is there any other benefits to the hopper if I only have one tv? Will dish even let you get it and only have the hopper and no joeys?

Thanks.
If you need a 3rd tuner, your 722 has a built-in OTA tuner, just add an OTA antenna.

Speaking of the OTA tuner on the 722. Whats the interface for that like? Is there a program guide with show names or would I be setting up timers for times?

Speaking of the OTA tuner on the 722. Whats the interface for that like? Is there a program guide with show names or would I be setting up timers for times?

After you search for OTA channels with the 722, they will be added to the guide, the guide content will be updated after some time, and you can schedule recordings as you normally would.

If a local channel was channel 7 for example, you would see in the guide

007-00 <- This would be the Dish satellite version of your channel
007-01 <- This would be the OTA module channel
007-XX <- If your OTA channel has subchannels they would be listed also in the guide

You can set a timer via the guide for any of the channels. But you only have 2 and 2 OTA tuners, so you have to do some planning if you want to record 3 networks at once, put one on the -00 and 2 on OTA for example. The receiver does not do it for you, if you have all 3 on the -00 sat versions it will skip one of them, it will not use an OTA tuner and vice versa.

IF Dish carries the subchannel. IF. Keep the OTA option. VERY important for many subchannels and even channels.

Especially near DC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts