What's The Best Bird To Scan For Feeds?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mcann28

Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
I just recently got my setup installed and was wondering what are the best birds to find feeds. I have run across some news feeds but was wondering if it's possible to pick up other feeds. From what I understand each local tv station FOX,CBS,NBC etc. receives feeds for shows that they will be airing during the day. Sitcoms, soaps,Oprah,Montel Williams,People Court show like that. Is it possible to pick up any of those type feeds or will they all be scrabled or mostly on C-Band?

Mcann

Mostly C-Band.

I like IA-6 for news feeds, G-11 is also GREAT too, happy hunting!

Those feeds for the networks are mostly C-Band, I don't think I have ever seen a sitcom or Oprah type feed on Ku.

Wholeshoe

Thanks. I guess I need to be on the lookout for a BUD. I have plenty of space to put one. I have a friend that offered me his grandfathers old BUD but he said some of the mesh was falling out. There's BUD all around my area I know people don't use anymore so I guess I'll knock on a few doors and ask.Any tips on the best type to look for?

Mcann

An 8 or ten foot solid aluminum is probably the best. Pierced aluminum (such as the channel master dishes) follows that. Mesh dish's are next in line, just make sure that a #2 pencil wont go thru the mesh. I would NOT get a fiberglass dish unless all you want it for is c-band.

I have seen one or two of those feeds with my BUDlite :) Sometimes you have to be up realy late at night to catch some of them.

"Any tips on the best type to look for?"

Birdviews are nice. They were usually either solid spun aluminum dishes or perforated dishes and they usually have a really nice H to H motor which is alot better than using a linear actuator. If you find one you may need to do some slight modifications and replace the feedhorn and LNBs. Skyvision sells a couple of kits to do this. One of those kits is a magnetic wheel and reed switch which you add to the existing H to H motor to make it work with newer recievers and dish movers as the old birdview system used a potentiometer instead.

Another tip when looking for an old BUD is that if you can find one where the pole sits on a base that is bolted to studs that are in the concrete as opposed to an installation where the pole itself is cemented into the ground you can save yourself alot of hard work.

Iceberg said:
correct

Those are "wild feeds" and are C-Band analog only

Some are in C-Band digital, too. I think both 4:2:0 and 4:2:2 are used.

FOX, I believe, uses encrypted 8PSK signals. Everything used to be fine, with nobody encrypting or caring about who watches feeds, until some jacka**es decided to record feeds and post them to the internet for download before they aired.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)