What's the Best DirecTv Receiver with out DVR?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

YOURBROKER

Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Mt. Washington, Mass.
I don't want to upgrade to DVR w/2 year contract.
Current DirecTv Satellite box RCA DRD430RGA
I would like to change to a receiver w/ Digital audio output I found a DRD480RE on eBay.
I have a home theater system w/Dolby.
I just want to find the best receiver, but after searching on line I have not learned which is the best bang for the buck.
Thanks in advance,
Scott

What will it be used for and where? (zip code?) If you do not want DVR or HD, just get the cheapest unit with digital out you can find from a trustworthy seller. They are really all about the same at that level; seeing there is almost NOTHING in digital multi-channel audio that isn't also digital or HD as well. Everything else is still just 2 channel stereo.

I'm in the Berkshires, Mass 01258

This is the system I am putting together:

Mitsubishi HC1500 1600 Lumens 720p 16:9 HDMI Home Theater 6.5 lbs. DLP Projector

Toshiba HD-A3 720p/1080i HD DVD Player

SAMSUNG HT-Q45T/XAA HOME THEATER SYSTEM

SAMSUNG DVD-VR357 COMBO DVD RECORDER/VHS

I am planning to purchas the top 2 today.

...and you want an old MPEG2 only non-HD unit to drive this? Not sure why.....

......but I stand by my statement above if that is your plan. Go with the Sony SAT "A" series units then; SAT-A2, A4, A50, A55, A65 (higher is newer); or Hughes HAH-SA, HIRD-D45, etc.

Last edited:
No offense, buy why spend the money on all of that equipment if you're not going to watch HD? Even if you find a used H10 (is that the right model # for the older HD receiver?), it will get you less than 10% of the HD channels that D* currently has available. (that number might not be right on, but the moral is that it won't get you much) Not sure if you'd be able to luck out and find a used HR20 on eBay or Craig's List to at least give you access to all of the new HD channels.

Watching SD programming on an HDTV is not going to look good...

I agree with Scottie... I can also recommend a few projectors if you are interested, that will be better overall quality and value for the money than that particular Mits; although it is a decent low cost entry-level unit.

Have you ever seen how SD looks on an HDTV before, much less on a projector? Why don't you want a DVR? I have NEVER met someone who regretted getting a DVR. Sign up for the 2 year commitment and get a cheap/free HD DVR. If you end up backing out of it, then deal with that then. OTherwise don't bother with D*.

Do you realize that HD DVD is a dying format?

No offense, but is this whole thing a joke? I think you need reexamine your exactly what you are going for.

I don't recommend any of the old RCAs. If you want to buy an antique go with the Hughes HTL-HD should cost you around$50 on Ebay. I don't know what you think you are going to gain with an optical audio out most of the Dolby Digital is on HD channels. You would be much better off with the H20 even if you get a 2YR. commitment.

If you don't want DVR or HD, then the D12 is what you want. (It's SWM capable.)
If you call DirecTV you can probably get one for free. But there will be a 1 year commitment regardless (since it's not a DVR and/or HD).

You 2 realize the OP wants an optical audio output, of which none of the current SD receivers have - which is why he's NOT going with them... ;)

OP - something else that nobody mentioned to you; I believe that even if you find an old HD box, D* is still going to hit you up $10/month for HD access, if you don't ALREADY have it on your account. They ARE doing this to people who now activate old HD Tivo's, if they don't already have this charge. It is my understanding D* is doing this on ALL HD boxes, legacy or not.

Bottom line - if all you are wanting is an optical out, better find an old SD box with it. Otherwise, you may as well take a free HD upgrade from D*, 'cause you're going to pay the monthly HD fee, even on an old HD box, so you may as well get new.

Although I do not agree with the OP's strategy; thus I mentioned going with the Sony SAT "A" series units; SAT-A2, A4, A50, A55, A65 (higher is newer); or Hughes HAH-SA, HIRD-D45, etc.

If you go the eBay route, why not get a DVR? The price will not be much more and even without DVR service ($5.99/mo) you will have buffering and be able to pause, etc., plus have an optical digital output.

If you go the eBay route, why not get a DVR? The price will not be much more and even without DVR service ($5.99/mo) you will have buffering and be able to pause, etc., plus have an optical digital output.

Are you SURE D* will let you put a DVR on an account W/OUT adding the DVR service??? :confused:;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts