What's the best way to take advantage of new subscriber deals?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mdog73

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
My 2 year contract just ran out. It looks like new subscribers get better deals than current subscribers. Can I just cancel my service and resign up the next day to get one of the deals? or Can I even have them overlap so I don't miss any tv time?

I'm interested in the HDDVR.

No, there must be some "dead time" in between the ancellation point and the re-sign. You could call and talk to retention and see what you are offered if you have not done that yet. Don't talk to "regular" 1st line CSRs.

There is a LONG time before you are a new customer.

Why not just call and see what they will do for you. The offers they make are based on the quality of you as a customer to them (profitability). The more stuff you subscribe to, pay bills ontime, length as customer, will determine how much or little they would charge you for an HDDVR.

It normally is , once a new sub, always a sub, you cannot get a "New sub "deal anymore regardless ....
Thats the way it's always been, until reciently when they have tried to lure more subs in and keep the ones they have.

Jimbo

There is a LONG time before you are a new customer.

Why not just call and see what they will do for you. The offers they make are based on the quality of you as a customer to them (profitability). The more stuff you subscribe to, pay bills ontime, length as customer, will determine how much or little they would charge you for an HDDVR.

Yep, as a matter of fact on that; few months ago when our old MPEG2 HD receiver's power supply went out after many years of service; we called into retention and got the full SlimLine dish, added RG6 runs and HR20 for free (or for ONLY S/H) which I think the wife said was $19.95; the installer brought the gear when he came to run the RG6.

ok, so just call up and ask if they have any deals for a me (who's contract is up)? Do I ask for retention? Is that the name of the department?

I think you call the regular number and at the automated voice prompt say "CANCEL". This is supposed to connect you to retention. At that point do not mention CANCELLATION again, but lay out your situation and desires as they ask you. Above all else, do not get angry or demanding; be calm, yet firm AND THEN if you feel you can't get a workable deal for yourself; MAYBE you mention leaving at this point, but you best mean that and be ready to move to another provider. OR you can call back later and try again, but I would think that they will have noted and commented on your acct.

If anyone knows if this process has changed, please correct me.

Cancel seems to be the magic word. I think I posted this an earlier thread but I've only been a DTV sub since January. I was bit leery about hooking up the whole house so I just went with one set and an HD DVR.

I've been so impressed I decided to cancel the FiOS altogether but the online prices for new receivers are crazy...it would have cost me about $600.00 to get another HD DVR, 4 SD receivers and installation.

Called DTV and said cancel at the prompt. I explained that I wanted to add the rest of the house and asked what they could for me. I was shocked when she gave me the HD DVR for $100, the four SD receivers for free and the install for free. Never hurts to be polite, either.

Status
Please reply by conversation.