What's The Deal w/the Voom HD Channels?

TimR21

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Ok, I'm reading all these stories of people getting hooked up to the "new" Voom HD channels for $5/mo. What is the deal that dish is offering? Is it $5/mo plus the $9.99/mo for the regular HD Pak? Or do you get the Voom channels automatically if you already subscribe to the 9.99/mo HD PAK?

I've got an 811 receiver, but don't subscribe to the HD PAK, but I'm interested now in getting the VOOM channels and the HD Pak. How much is that going to add to my bill? $15/mo? or $9.99/mo? I've already got a dish pointed 61.5 for my locals, so I shouldn't need a new one!

Thanks for the info...
TimR><>

TimR21 said:
Ok, I'm reading all these stories of people getting hooked up to the "new" Voom HD channels for $5/mo. What is the deal that dish is offering? Is it $5/mo plus the $9.99/mo for the regular HD Pak? Or do you get the Voom channels automatically if you already subscribe to the 9.99/mo HD PAK?

I've got an 811 receiver, but don't subscribe to the HD PAK, but I'm interested now in getting the VOOM channels and the HD Pak. How much is that going to add to my bill? $15/mo? or $9.99/mo? I've already got a dish pointed 61.5 for my locals, so I shouldn't need a new one!

Thanks for the info...
TimR><>

If you read the press release (posted by Scott in the Dish Network forum) it leads you to believe the 10 Voom channels were to be added to the existing HD Package. Now they want $5/month more for the Voom Channels which makes your HD Package $15/month.

If you don't have a dish pointed at 61.5, then you get to pay an additional $100 to get a 2nd dish.

Some are ok with this. Others, like myself, think this is a rip off, especially since E* has been criticized in the past about E* not adding any HD channels to the HD PAck with Charley saying there is no "compelling" channels to add to the HD package. Now they want an additional $5 for these "compelling" HD channels? E* is "pigging out" IMHO.

A rip off? There is no satisfying some of you cynics.

If you live in a market with local channels on that satellite it is free. If you don't, wait and they will eventually offer a free upgrade in exchange for a commitment (either 1 year or CCAutoPay like the Dish 500 had around 2001).

$15 - 25 had been mentioned around here for the 21 channels. $5 for almost half of them wasn't even dreamed of by the most demanding types around here. Now, I can record them to my HD PVR and I don't have to add any hardware since I already have it there for free for the extra New York locals (but I really got it for CBS-HD). These channels take up the same bandwidth as 60 SD channels and he only wants $5? And the reason he didn't do so before was because he didn't have access to the bandwidth. The DAY after there is some more room available, he adds the channels.

AND he is selling it for .50 a channel vs. the $2 a channel (41.99 for 21 originals - I heard someone else use this figure - don't flame me if I'm wrong as I didn't subscribe to V*) that V* charged. Doesn't sound "greedy" to me.......

Either you are REAL hard to please or you are a D* dealer that just realized that his job just got more difficult.

Can you use the Voom dish and and set it to the 61.5 location to get the Voom channels. I have the HD package and a new dish pointed at 119 location. I was thinking of maybe splitting the signal through the winegard switch to save on buying a new dish. I also have an old Dish network single lnb dish but I have two 811 receivers and would like both to have the Voom channels on both so thsi does not look good.

mcmcmc said:
Can you use the Voom dish and and set it to the 61.5 location to get the Voom channels. I have the HD package and a new dish pointed at 119 location. I was thinking of maybe splitting the signal through the winegard switch to save on buying a new dish. I also have an old Dish network single lnb dish but I have two 811 receivers and would like both to have the Voom channels on both so thsi does not look good.
Welcome. :)
Check here.

BobMurdoch said:
41.99 for 21 originals - I heard someone else use this figure - don't flame me if I'm wrong as I didn't subscribe to V*) that V* charged.

You are very wrong on that. $49.99 V* standard package included whole bunch of SD packages (close to AT120), then ESPNHD, DiscoveryHD, TNTHD (basically Dish HD pack without HDNet). So you are very wrong on that. :)

I'm not so much pissed about the $5, I'd gladly pay it, I just want the ability to get the channels. It's like geographical discrimination :)

I like getting the channels.

I don't see how they could have offered them as part of the existing hd pack, though, because they aren't available for everyone. Imagine being somewhere where you can't get 61.5 and being charged the same for 5 channels as others are for 15.

yeah, not being able to get the 61.5 here would have pissed me off more if everyone else was getting them for free. Ugh, when is that miror going to be done?

Give them a chance would ya?

This whole deal went down so fast it's ridiculous.

Don't expect to see the mirror on 148 for at least a few weeks (although it COULD happen sooner).

Minsk1 said:
You are very wrong on that. $49.99 V* standard package included whole bunch of SD packages (close to AT120), then ESPNHD, DiscoveryHD, TNTHD (basically Dish HD pack without HDNet). So you are very wrong on that. :)

Deepest apologies.... I heard someone else throw the number around. .50 a channel for HD still works for me........

Read the Fine Print

Hey gang,

I was just reading the fine print on Dish Network's web site regarding the VOOM offer ( www.dishnetwork.com ). Has anyone else noticed that the $5/mo offer for the VOOM channels is only for 6 months?!!!?? According to the fine print in the offer that's the case! What is the cost after 6 months?

Thanks,
TimR><>

Yeah that's what I noticed tricky also. It seems to imply the $5 price is only guaranteed for 6 months and it may increase after that.

Others take that to mean that new subs get the dish HD pack for free for 6 months, so the total cost of hd pack and voom would be $5 for the 6 months, then $14.99 after that.

Actually, it's $5 for the HD Pack plus Voom for 6 months. Thereafter, it will be $14.99. That is what the fine print states in relatively plain English.
Please Note:
*For new, first-time residential customers only. Must subscribe to minimum of America’s Top 60 or DISH Latino to receive monthly programming credit. Customer must call to cancel HD at the end of 6 months or a $14.99 monthly charge will apply.

**You may order DISH Network HD Pak by itself. However, VOOM Originals HD Pak is only available with a subscription to DISH Network HD Pak. Certain HD channels will require an additional dish antenna at a cost of $100 at the time of initial installation.

Notice how they don't mention the possibility of a free second dish for those who have some locals located at 61.5?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)