What's the deal with Closed Caption and the 622s

RandallA

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
I understand that HDMI and component outputs will not pass Closed Caption but S-Video and Composite? I've tried turning on CC on my TV and I will not get anything using S-Video or Composite for the SD channels.

My 211 works just fine with S-Video or Composite. I had a 625, 508, 211, 811 on the same TV and Closed Captioned always worked. So what's the deal with the 622s? So does it work at all?

I tried turning it on in the 622 and it works but I don't want to go deep into the menu just to turn it off and on.

Found my answer on page 92 of the manual. CC can be enabled through the TV only on TV2. CC can only be enabled through the receiver on TV1.

You have to press Menu, 8, 8, left arrow, enable CC, and then Done just to enable CC. On most TVs you only press one button on the remote.

Way to go Dish. BTW this is not even for me, it's for my wife that likes to watch movies with CC enabled. This really sucks. I'm surprised not too many people have complained about this, there are people that need Closed Captioned and it was invented for a reason.

Sad but true. I hope they change this quick, but you know how that goes.

On my new TVs CC is DEEEEEEEEP in the menus too. I don't know what it is. It's not like my old TVs with a single button on the remote. I guess it's the price we pay for "progress" :)

This is critical for me, too, as I often try to watch TV with a 3 year old and a 5 year old running around the family room :). What's annoying is that some of the channels have the CC and some don't - on my LiL HD channels NBC (KING5) works great, but CBS (KIRO) never has them. And I agree - Dish shouldn't make it so darn buried in the menus!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)