What’s the deal with the enlarged picture on broadcasts ... ?

BnT.atl

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Hi ... new member here and hoping someone with more knowledge than myself can clear up a few things with the way (most) television shows are broadcast (leading up to and) since the “digital transition”.

For the record, I am north of the metro Atlanta, Georgia area and I have been a Dish subscriber for over six years now, still have a Panasonic projection tv (with alleged hd-digital capability) that is due to be replaced (but has to wait out the recession sadly).

The issue is: Why are so many television shows being broadcast in a manner that enlarges what is obviously a widescreen presentation, into the “standard” tv “square”? These shows are enlarged so much that you can have a shot where there are two actors onscreen and yet one or both of them are cut off ... or someone is speaking to a person on (for example) the extreme right side of the screen and that person is cut off. Not to mention the way that most backgrounds are cut off.

Sometimes you never know what you are going to get: There are weeks that “American Idol” was shown in wide-screen, other times it’s enlarged to fill the screen. Recently, Fox has shown it’s new show, “Glee” in the proper widescreen format but how long will that last?

I have called, emailed and snail-mailed Dish Network about this, though I suspect this may be one issue that is not their “fault”. Before the “transition”, I was able to view “Lost” over antenna (as an experiment) and it was similarly enlarged. I actually took photos of my TV and how the broadcast shows up and created diagrams in order to make my point on this issue. I sent this in pdf-form via email and printed it out in snail-mail.

I have emailed and snail-mailed a few of the local Atlanta-based network affiliates. To my surprise, it was not long after one of my letters went through that the local NBC affiliate, WXIA-channel 11 made a move that allowed most of their shows to come through in wide-screen. That would be stuff like “The Office”, “30 Rock” and “SNL” ... and if you watch carefully as each show transitions into the next you can see the picture briefly revert back to the ‘full-screen’ format and then back to the “wide-screen” format.

Sadly, NBC is the only local network to “fix” this issue and I wish we can get through to the others. I would love to see this season’s “Lost” in the widescreen format that is it obviously meant to be in. Is there any way to get this remedied without switching to the higher-priced (and dubious?) “digital” local feeds? I mean, it seemed to work for one network.

Thanks,
Ray in Atlanta

Regardless of whether your TV is HD capable, you didn't mention what Dish equipment or programming packages you have.

I'm guessing you're talking about standard definition local channels. If Atlanta's HD channels were doing such a thing to the picture there'd be plenty of complaining here about it already. Typically, the SD feed ends up being a center-cut of the HD image, since SD is 4x3 and HD is 16x9, they either have to stretch, letterbox, or cut to make it fit. This might be done by the station itself, or by the equipment Dish is using at their reception point.

Guess which one generates the fewest complaints. The people screaming "the picture doesn't fill my screen" are louder than the ones screaming "the sides are cut off" but only slightly louder than the ones screaming "everything is squished"

Your best solution might be to subscribe to Dish's HD packages and get the locals in HD.

I have atlanta HD channels and Knoxville OTAHD channels and so far Atlanta is way way better. I have not noticed this issue ON Atlanta HD. All there channels bein broadcast is in 16:9 even the news. Knoxville will even do 4:3 on HD broadcast, I think they forget to switch from there local news to the primetime format where it is still in 4:3 instead of 16:9

You don't suppose this would be a problem with the format button on the lower left of the remote?

Maybe the receiver is in zoom mode?

Watchin locals tonight in Both Knoxville & Atlanta with 16:9 HD no enlargments. Are u getting enlargments?

Yes, I was getting it coming in as enlarged ... it seems like NBC is the only network to broadcast 'standard' feed in widescreen ...
thanks for all the comments

Regardless of whether your TV is HD capable, you didn't mention what Dish equipment or programming packages you have.

I'm guessing you're talking about standard definition local channels. If Atlanta's HD channels were doing such a thing to the picture there'd be plenty of complaining here about it already. Typically, the SD feed ends up being a center-cut of the HD image, since SD is 4x3 and HD is 16x9, they either have to stretch, letterbox, or cut to make it fit. This might be done by the station itself, or by the equipment Dish is using at their reception point.

Guess which one generates the fewest complaints. The people screaming "the picture doesn't fill my screen" are louder than the ones screaming "the sides are cut off" but only slightly louder than the ones screaming "everything is squished"

Your best solution might be to subscribe to Dish's HD packages and get the locals in HD.

well, you hit the nail on the head right there ...
i’m sure the bourgeoisie does not even know what they are missing. I’m sure that the ‘black bars’ on the top and bottom of the picture cause these locals to think ‘thair tee-vee aint workin’ rite’ ...
the fact remains by enlarging the middle section of the feed to ‘fill’ the screen, most local networks are not showing what the series producers, directors or national networks intend to present.
I'm just not ready to switch to hd nor can i incur those costs at this time.
thanks for the comment

Last edited:
Never did say

Thats a good post in your blog. Thanks for the link ...
those folks sound like typical american tee-vee watchers.

You never did tell us what equipment you have. Is it a VIP series receiver or DVR? You may have as my friend Jim said hit the aspect ratio that will zoom the picture.

yeah, he confirmed he's got SD only equipment when he said "not ready to go HD yet" - in which case he's stuck with whatever the broadcasters are deciding to do for their SD channels.

in which case he's stuck with whatever the broadcasters are deciding to do for their SD channels.
More than likely the problem is with Dish. He says he's in Atlanta and watching big network shows. Therefore (more than likely) the broadcaster is putting the show out in HD, and Dish is doing the downconversion for the SD viewers.

The only controls a broadcaster would have over an SD signal is if they're directly feeding (fiber) cable or satellite a downconverted signal.

You never did tell us what equipment you have. Is it a VIP series receiver or DVR? You may have as my friend Jim said hit the aspect ratio that will zoom the picture.

hi
my equipment is:
Dish receiver 510D-dvr (also 301E in separate room)
Panasonic pt-51hx40 projection television

I posted my query in this dish section because I have dish service, but I am not necessary sure this is a dish issue since:

Before the ‘transition’, I was able to view an episode of Lost last April via antenna on an old portable tv and the episode came over in the same enlarged, ‘center-cut’ broadcast as on the dish sd-301e

and after contacting Dish and all the Atlanta based local network affiliates, only nbc local channel 11-wxia, was able (or willing?) to adjust their nightly network feeds into wide-screen.

I am not able to upgrade to HD programming at this point and I was just hoping for some opinions or solutions.
Thank

Since the stations have stopped broadcasting their SD feeds, they simply chop off the sides of the widescreen picture to make the SD feed on Dish. This is done with the full knowledge of the networks. You will notice the networks moved their logo bugs from the side to closer to the center of the screen on the HD pictures. This is so that the SD center cut viewers will be sure to see the logo.

They did this about 6 months before the original cut off date so that Dish and DIRECTV could start the transition from picking up the OTA SD station to the OTA HD station. No one is going to fix this, why work on a solution to a dying problem? They figure in a few years everyone will have HD anyways and the problem will be solved.

It is possible that Dish could have a fiber feed for the SD picture on some stations and the station could then letterbox the HD to a SD feed. Not many stations are going to opt for this trouble. Also some stations used to have an SD feed as a subchannel, I do not know how many are still doing that.

tv settings

This might be done by your tv settings as well, change your settings on your tv and make some tests with different options. Different tvs have different ways to do the settings.

Since the stations have stopped broadcasting their SD feeds, they simply chop off the sides of the widescreen picture to make the SD feed on Dish. This is done with the full knowledge of the networks. You will notice the networks moved their logo bugs from the side to closer to the center of the screen on the HD pictures. This is so that the SD center cut viewers will be sure to see the logo.

They did this about 6 months before the original cut off date so that Dish and DIRECTV could start the transition from picking up the OTA SD station to the OTA HD station. ...

You are right, mike ... I actually noticed this 6 months before the "digital transition" and have attempted to get the root of the problem since then ... which is a long time ...
only recently found this site and knew there had to be people on here who are more knowledgeable than i concerning this issue
thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)