What's the difference between a "universal" LNBF and a "Standard Linear" LNBF

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

hamilton101

Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
Oregon
Sadoun sells a couple of very similar LNBFs for prime focus dishes. Both are for C and Ku band. One of them is a "Universal" and the other is described as "Standard Linear". The "standard linear" uses a 22 kHz switching signal to change frequency ranges, as near as I can tell. Appears that the "universal" LNBF doesn't need that switching. (hope someone can discuss these differences...)

Under what circumstances is one LNBF selected over the other? The price is the same, etc. I'm working an an upgrade on an old C-band system and I'm trying to figure out this situation.

Thanks!

--------------
Corvallis, Oregon
10' Channelmaster mesh dish (small holes)

A standard LNB for the Ku band cover 11.7 GHz to 12.2 GHz.

A universal LNB for the Ku band covers 10.7 GHz to 12.75GHz.

In North America we use standard LNBs, some Atlantic satellites and European satellites use universal LNBs.

Also if you are going to use an analog receiver you should select the standard LNB because it has a LO (Local Oscillator) frequency of 10750 MHz which is compatible with analog receivers.

I belive that both standard and universal LNBs need switching, that is how you select the C or the Ku band.

In North America we use standard LNBs, some Atlantic satellites and European satellites use universal LNBs.

Also if you are going to use an analog receiver you should select the standard LNB because it has a LO (Local Oscillator) frequency of 10750 MHz which is compatible with analog receivers.

Ah, OK. I live in Western North America, so the standard LNB sounds appropriate.

I will be using an analog receiver to control the dish, but will be routing the signal to a DVB receiver. Is the standard LNB compatible with a digital receiver?

Thanks!

An LNB converts a very high frequency to a lower frequency which travels on the coax to your receiver.

Then you need to set your receiver to the L.O. (or Local Oscillator) of the specific LNB you are using. Many times LNB's will say the L.O. on the label or you can get this from the manufacturer's web site, or it will be listed on the web site where they are offered for sale.

Then in my receiver; Antenna Setup, there is a setting which says "LNB:" Then some numbers after that usually like: 10750 or [9750/10600] for Ku-band, or 5150 for C-band.

So you would enter the numbers of your LNB L.O. in your receiver where it says "LNB:".

Then your receiver can "communicate" with the LNB.

Also be aware that there are C-band LNB's and Ku-band LNB's. At lyngsat.com which lists frequencies for satellites, C-band frequencies are 4 digit (like 3954) and Ku-band frequencies are 5 digit (like 11943).

To receive a channel on a C-band frequency, you need a large dish like 10 or 12 ft (for our area, I live near you), and you need a C-band LNB.

To receive a channel on a Ku-band frequency, a smaller dish will work (I would suggest a 1 meter or larger for our area), and you need a Ku-band LNB.

I will send you a PM...

A Standard KU LNB you can use a 22k switch to combine 2 of them. A Universal has a 22k built in (to switch between the lo & high) so you can't.

The only satellite not on the atlantic that needs a Universal is PAS9 (58W) for Fidelvision (Cubavision) :)

So you are saying the standard lnbf such as BSC621 is automatic switching,Hope im not hijacking it is about the same question,I have both just trying to get clarification,Which one should i use.I live in State of GA.

the bsc621 is a lnbf that has a built in 22k switch but its to switch between c & ku bands

the bsc621-2 has a built in diseqc switch #1 or a will be the c band / #2 or b will be the ku

this is only if you use the switch and run one coax. If you run two coax then no switch would be involved.

both have a LO of a standard 10750 for Ku-band, & 5150 for C-band

Ah i c thank you and once again i hope i didn't interrupt anybody.So there is no setting i have to do,Im running 2 seperate cables,to my receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts