What's the point

HDuser

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2006
Whats the point with owning your own rcvrs.
Isn't the lease fee $5 and If you own it's a $4.99 access fee.
Wow a penny savings. Let's see 1 rcvr it would take ... uhmmmmmm 1 billon years to be justified on owning a 301. And if it went bad you have to buy another, not just call Dish and get a free replacement.

What a rip..

I haven't had a contract in 4 years & in 1 day I will have an 18 month to get the new rcvr. Although I'm pretty pissed that the 2 301's that I just bought will be 1 cent cheaper each a month.. I guess I should have dug a little deeper to find if there were any access fees..
Has anybody ever had any monthly access fees waived for additional receivers?

Well, you are assuming the owned receivers has no residual/resale value. I have bought receivers and used them for over a year and sold them again and ended up paying less than the $60/year lease fee. So it all depends on your plans, in my case, it's cheaper to own then to lease. Heck I even sold a 301 for more than I paid for it and the only contract I ever had with dish was the inital 12 month agreement when I signed up.

I have never heard of anyone getting the additional outlet fee waived.

Everyone pays the "access fee". The reasons to buy vs. lease are not as distinct as they used to be, but they still exist.

1. You don't have to pay for the lease fee, however, this is only useful if you have only one receiver. If you own more than one, then the fee changes to an additional receiver fee.

2. You are not signing a contract! That is a big plus. You can tell E* to take a hike any time you want without penalty.

3. You own the equipment, and you can recoop your investment. In the past, used E* equipment has sold very well on EBay. 942 Customers are speaking of a $99 upgrade to a lease to the 622? I will upgrade to own my 622 for not much more. I already sold my old unit.

4. You have more programming options. If you lease, you are locked into buying at least AT60. If you own, you can order just locals, or just the HD Pack by itself. That was a sweet deal, which paid for the cost of the receiver over an interval that was far less than the 2 year contract. With the new plan, they are gouging owners, and the savings isn't as great. You will have to negociate with E* to get the HD Pack price down. You can do that though, as you are not in a contract and have some leverage.

It makes the most sense to own vs. lease if you have only one receiver, and you don't want to subscribe to an SD package.

The last entry was alot of help.
The 2 301's I just bought I paid 100 bucks.
Right now there sellin on EBAY for about 60 a piece. So in 2 years if the resale value stay's the same I stand to make $20.48...
Good thing I didn't pay the full 60 now...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)