Whats the rush?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bratboy

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 24, 2005
Denver CO
Just kind of curious as to why such a panic rush to do a yrs commitment over a few Voom channels? Yes it would be nice to keep voom21's but with all the various remors and such why the rush to lock yourself into a commitment. I'd really like to have/keep MonsterHD but I am not gonna lock myself to anything till the dust settles a bit and we actually know how PQ is, firm pricing, which sats etc.

Now there's rumor of a big HD addition to DTV in a month or 2 so I see no reason to rush out this minute and lock self to something I may regret in another month or so but cant get out of. At least with Comcast if Dish or DTV offers something REALLY good I can dump cc in a heartbeat with no broken contract or fee's which is a big plus. If you jump now to Dish then your stuck, even if DTV offers something better/more filling hehe. Be wise in your decision now so you dont regret it later. I mean yes if the channels Dish has picked are all your fav's then by all means go for it but if you only watch 1 or 2 of the ones they picked it honestly seems silly to reward Dish with your patronage just yet till some reports come in on qual etc.

Yep, I agree. I got adelphia at a fairly decent price for 16 months, and until everything shakes out, I'm sticking with it. Since adelphia is listed as a carrier for monstersHD on the monsters website, maybe it's a sign of good things to come.

got....to....have....my....MONSTERS-HD (and Equator, etc, etc.)
A years commitment is not a big deal. It will take at least that long for DirecTv or anyone else to get their act together.
In the meantime...VOOM LIVES WITH and HD-DVR...YES!!!
Thank you Dish Network. I'm on board.
In 12 months, we reevaluate everything...but, that's life.

Except new info on DTV is that it wont be a yr, more like another month or 2. If that does happen the claim is they will have all 21 of vooms plus others coming in june/july. They have already announced the 1st 12 area's to get HD locals even. Seems to me if in another month or 2 I can maybe get ALL of Voom21 plus others its well worth a 2 month wait before commiting long term. I mean right now it doesnt even seem like Dish can even, with any certainty, say whether you will get 10, 12 or 14 channels at the begining plus more "By 2006", not to mention the fact that they cant even garuntee all Dish users will be able to get em. Add to that the comments from Dish that to start out during the transition stage they will charge extra for the Vooms they do get on now but later after they add the rest they wont charge extra. That's a fishtale I find a bit hard to swallow myself. The very idea that a company would charge more then reduce the cost when they add even more later is just unbelivable to me.

Admittedly a 1 yr contract may not seem like a long time but if you decide you do want to switch then they will hit you for fee's and early cancellation charges to discourage you from leaving. Thats why I asked what the rush is. Why accept the first bone tossed to ya if you can afford to be selective. If ppl jump less quickly who knows maybe Dish would "Sweeten" their offer but if everyone jumps right away there is no incentive on Dish's part to make a better offer.

It's interesting to see what will D* do in response... ;)
They can't just leave it unanswered...

Just remember when considering if you should jump now or wait......the early bird gets the worm.....but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

bratboy said:
Just kind of curious as to why such a panic rush to do a yrs commitment over a few Voom channels? Yes it would be nice to keep voom21's but with all the various remors and such why the rush to lock yourself into a commitment. I'd really like to have/keep MonsterHD but I am not gonna lock myself to anything till the dust settles a bit and we actually know how PQ is, firm pricing, which sats etc.

Now there's rumor of a big HD addition to DTV in a month or 2 so I see no reason to rush out this minute and lock self to something I may regret in another month or so but cant get out of. ...

If you think that you get something (let's suppose Voom package) without a commitment from D* that is your fault. Right now only cable can offer no commitment plans.
Nobody announced any plans with Voom except Dish. That is why people including myself are happy to commit now than who knows when with D*.

Minsk1 said:
If you think that you get something (let's suppose Voom package) without a commitment from D* that is your fault. Right now only cable can offer no commitment plans.

Nobody announced any plans with Voom except Dish. That is why people including myself are happy to commit now than who knows when with D*.

I don't think he meant that he would get a no commitment deal from D*... it just that waiting a little longer may result in obtaining an even better deal from D*, with a Voom10~21 pack, HD locals via sat (if you're in one of the big markets in which they will start offering them) and most likely a few other HD channels.

I totally agree with the guy who created this thread... what's the rush? if things go as they always go with E*, more than one of these E*V*10 early adopters will surely be caught in the middle of a very crappy deal... you just wait and see.

Minsk1 said:
I'm sorry, where in any of my posts did I say DTV would or wouldnt want a commitment? In fact thats why I said this.
Me said:
At least with Comcast if Dish or DTV offers something REALLY good I can dump cc in a heartbeat with no broken contract or fee's which is a big plus.
I am well aware of DTV's usual commitment deals, was a customer for around 8 yrs I think but not sure anymore was so long ago.
I mean my whole point was why jump the very first day. Cable as you repointed out what I'd already mentioned offers no commitment deals so you could at least take your time and see how it all pans out before you make a final decision.

bratboy said:
Cable as you repointed out what I'd already mentioned offers no commitment deals so you could at least take your time and see how it all pans out before you make a final decision.

Amen to that...Can't imagine why ANYONE would do anything else now, unless they have no cable option, or if they have any other Cable cariier other than Comcast, Time Warner, or Adelphia..

Here's the rush...

I had DirecTV with an UltimateTV DVR for 3 years. Made the jump to Voom to get lots of high def on the hope they would survive and I would get a HD-DVR.

Now I can get the best of both worlds, get a HD-DVR, and run our second TV upstairs with the 942 (rarely is it used).

Living these past 4 months without a DVR had been pure hell.

Heck, cable may even pick up Voom21.

I'm going to wait and see for a bit unless the E* offer to Voomers is too good to say no.

No rush for me, especially since they (E*) hint at $100 for a new dish, adding fees left and right and just for these few 10 channels which don't include the ones I really like--like FamilyCinema, Ha-Ha, World Cinema (those were great movies), so no no rush--except in the opposite direction!

Shawn95GT said:

I'm going to wait and see for a bit unless the E* offer to Voomers is too good to say no.

I am writing my letter to Cox tomorrow to at least let them know what is available and that there ARE people who are interested in V* 21 being on cable... If not all at least part of the lineup! :cool:

softwiz said:
Living these past 4 months without a DVR had been pure hell.
I still don't see why a DVR is such a live changing event for people.

I mean, as I type this I'm watching something I recorded last night off INHD2 but it's not like I'd be hanging myself if I didn't have the programs stored to watch.

In some cases the DVR is a PITA. We set the box to record 'The OC' the other night and the president's speech messed up the schedule. We went to watch it later and got to see the tail end of 'that 70s show'.

I'm probably going to tell Cox that they can keep their digital service / HDDVR and just do OTA, analog cable, and FTA. Analog cable is $10/mo vs $70/mo and all I gain for the extra $60/mo is the DVR, 5 HD channels, and about 4 channels that I care about including the HD ones!.

bookwalk said:
No rush for me, especially since they (E*) hint at $100 for a new dish, adding fees left and right and just for these few 10 channels which don't include the ones I really like--like FamilyCinema, Ha-Ha, World Cinema (those were great movies), so no no rush--except in the opposite direction!

The $100 for a dish may be true. But since one of my locals already exists on the 61.5 slot, I should get a Dish 500 and Dish 300 for no extra charge.

If you don't have a local on 61.5, then they may indeed charge for an extra Dish 300 for the Voom stuff. But I don't understand why they would do that.

They were in a hurry to get these VOOM channels out--to beat Direct, etc, get VOOM subscribers hot off the HD press and so, use the VOOMers (who, like me don't have locals on the 61.5) to pay for the transition to the other satellites, at which point the $100 investment is useless! Especially when Mpeg 4 comes along.
The CSR also told me the VOOM channels would not even be available to existing customers or new dish subscribers--only former VOOM customers--now why in the world would they do that? Remains to be seen. I am hoping we continue to post our outrage on this forum and if they read this and see that we are not like a bunch of sheep to be hearded wherever!!
This reminds me of "Animal Farm".

Cable and Voom 21.... oh well... Ccancelled Comcast anyway

Shawn95GT said:

I aggree with you about the possibility of cable taking the Voom originals. Which is why I figured on going ahead with my Comcast installation today. That was until the installation guy showed up at 1PM for a 7:30AM to 10:00AM window. I called them around 11 and the Comcast people seem even more smug and unapologetic than the D* folks (some). I was so pissed that by the time that the Comcast guy showed up (again with no apology), I informed him that I has just dropped Comcast and signed on with Dish (which I did at 12:30 through about 12:50). Still not sure I made the right decision. My Dish installation is for the 10th of May. I chose the America everything with 942 HDDVR plus 2 other HD receivers for rooms 2 and 3. I think that for $12 per month (the cost of equipment protection) I can switch to a plan with no one year committment. Just have to return the equipment (which you have to do anyway since it is leased for $250 in the case of the 942).
Wayne

Shawn95GT said:
I still don't see why a DVR is such a live changing event for people.

I mean, as I type this I'm watching something I recorded last night off INHD2 but it's not like I'd be hanging myself if I didn't have the programs stored to watch.

In some cases the DVR is a PITA. We set the box to record 'The OC' the other night and the president's speech messed up the schedule. We went to watch it later and got to see the tail end of 'that 70s show'.

I'm probably going to tell Cox that they can keep their digital service / HDDVR and just do OTA, analog cable, and FTA. Analog cable is $10/mo vs $70/mo and all I gain for the extra $60/mo is the DVR, 5 HD channels, and about 4 channels that I care about including the HD ones!.

Yeah those DVRs are quite complex. Ya better give yours up...

I agree and will adopt a wait-and-see attitude. I'll stick with cable for now in hopes they'll add at least some of the Voom channels. Getting the cable HD DVR with no up-front cost is the clincher. The Dish 942 seems like a nice product, but after getting burned by buying the Voom doorstop, I wouldn't pay $250 for a DVR that will be worthless in a year or less when Dish switches to MPEG-4 unless they guarantee they will replace it with a like-kind unit at no charge. Oh, the cable HD DVR has working firewire - something no sat HD box has - so I can archive HD to D-VHS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)