What's the status on the Hopper guide update?

Many people have become accustomed to "Windows" style buttons and panels that look dimensional. It is a visual cue that said square is a button and not just a square. That being said, dimensionality is being abandoned by all GUI makers in favor of a flat interface.

From what I am hearing they are rewriting a lot of it for performance increases. Can't wait to see it myself.
Summer officially starts on June 21st and Fall starts on September 23rd. So anywhere in between for the update.
Any previous mentions to it being released during some timeframe are clearly thrown out the window if they're re-writing it like Scott mentions.

Naw... Not on this release... give it 3 months and it will be getting all the people who "were not ready for it", even though they had notice since January that things are going to be different, complaining about their new UI. If anything, I would say the music apps, and the remote would get pushed back possibly, but the GUI will be out..

i just hope the dish music whole home app is coming real soon i want tunein and iheart so dang bad getting tired of listening to sriusxm all time.

For me, that is how it should be. On both devices actually. It's easier on the eyes for me. Granted I likely have perception issues, as I have difficulties driving at night a lot of times.
Thanks to Centex for answering your question. Yes, I understand that the reason so many non mobile devices are using the Flat display is that it is a design many people are familiar with and so it can seem very comfortable or at least seem easy to adapt since so many people use their mobile devices. I just thing Flat Display may work for mobile because of its space limitations, but it is so cartoon like for non mobile devices with large displays. Yes, ChadT21, you are exactly the user Dish and so many others are making the Flat Design (I think I said Display earlier?) for. I know I may be in the minority, but a very LARGE minority as I can tell you as far more people than I realized agree with me on the Flat Design for non-mobile devices not looking for good. But I am glad that at least you will be happy :). Do enjoy when we finally get the new UI.

i was reading june issue of the hopper magazine and it shows a couple of screen shots of the new carbon ui and it says there alot of perks its says late summer when it is coming.

Reactions: lazydogmot
I really hope they address their DVR list (adding a list view option) and allow for more than 5 folders as well as stackable shows (for series). I had Dish years back (722 I think) and was very pleased. I had to step into the DTV world an was not impressed. When I had the opportunity to jump back to Dish I took it. I like the Hopper and Joey setup and most of the features and functionality.
But I cannot get past the DVR management...it seems to be a step back. The icon view just doesn't work. I have family (wife, kids, mother) putting the pressure on to switch back to DTV...I am holding out for the new UI with my fingers crossed....if Dish does not deliver I think they'll loose a customer.

I really hope they address their DVR list (adding a list view option) and allow for more than 5 folders as well as stackable shows (for series)...

I'm waiting with baited breath for the new UI as well, but I have a pretty strong feeling that Dish will not take the suggestions of its customers and create a option for list view or one icon to represent many recordings in the My Folder view (or whatever their new "my" areas will be called). Other areas they do though. Been posted about and addressed many times.

I have to think Dish is taking the approach that they are going to create an interface that they think is best and icons will be the primary (if not only) form of program identification. Like many of the mobile devices we use today. I've said it many times, I understand you cannot please everyone. But like a PC, Dish should allow the customer to experience the Hopper and all of its features in the way they want/need. Understand things like the menu are best with icons, but the DVR side should be developed to be more configurable. I HATE having to scroll pass dozens of icons to get to what I want to view in My Folders. Even if they had a "to bottom" function on the remote so we could at least get to shows at the bottom of the list quickly I'd be happier.

Maybe they will surprise us. Gladly willing to eat crow if they do decide to integrate more options for us to customize our experience.

Reactions: Jim S.
Many people have become accustomed to "Windows" style buttons and panels that look dimensional. It is a visual cue that said square is a button and not just a square. That being said, dimensionality is being abandoned by all GUI makers in favor of a flat interface.
Yep, I call it the cartoon kindergarten picture-book interface.

Reactions: osu1991 and KAB
I am fine with Icons. However, to allow only one size of Icon is the problem. I think the 4 sizes Windows has is more appropriate. On small screens you can use extra large( 3 Icons on one line), on medium size screens you can use large Icons ( 8 Icons on 2 lines ( 4 per line)), on large screens you can use the current medium Icons ( 15 Icons on 3 lines (5 per line)), on extra large screens you van use the small Icon ( 24 Icons on 4 lines( 6 per line)). In the guide there should also be more than one size option as there is on the VIP series. On my small screen HDTVs I would love to see 3 lines for 2 hours on my extra large HDTVs I would like 9 lines for 4 hours. The current 7 lines for 3 hours is ok for medium to large TVs. All should be options for user selection. We all have different eyesight capabilities.

I prefer the icons over list view.

Exactly my point. Different people have different needs/wants. Allowing a simple setting to let us chose is the right way to go. Now, I will say I do like the icons, but not icon Hell! One icon per series, then click that to show all the episodes for that show as icons or a list view like they do already in some areas of the interface. It's the constant page down, page down that makes for a bad user experience.

I'm looking forward to it but not to the headaches it's going to cause in my house with "how do you do this" every five minutes. This is going to be the same as when we upgraded to hoppers, and I'm also sure there are going to be bugs that I'm going to be blamed for. I can't fix it I'm not dish network.

Just remember, when it releases, there will be new bugs, and things that are by design that are going to piss people off and make no sense to you when it releases. There will be a million posts about how stupid it is, before anyone really gives it the opportunity to figure it out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)