What's the trick to figuring out signal strengths

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lorie

Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
NY
Hi all..... I can't seem to get a signal and would like some advise as to what I am looking for - pretty sure the dish its self is pretty much good.

: welcome to Satelliteguys Lorie!

We need more information. What type of setup do you have, was it working before, are you getting any signal strength numbers at all?

Since Lorie hasn't responded to the request for more information I say that the dish must be mounted plumb.
Now we can go from there as to what's needed.

However, being in Alberta could be a problem.

I find it amusing that residents of Canada who are unauthorized to receive programming from both Dish and Directv, yet they insist on trying.

I find it amusing that residents of Canada who are unauthorized to receive programming from both Dish and Directv, yet they insist on trying.
Must show how truly bad Canadian TV is ...
Then again, there's always the desire to have what you can't have.

Must show how truly bad Canadian TV is ...
Then again, there's always the desire to have what you can't have.
Actually..... I have found that the organization of channels and programming on Canadian Satellite to be far superior and am really sorry I went to all the trouble, just because I wanted a better sports line-up. If Shaw had not dropped the majority of NASCAR content I wouldn't be in this predicament. The question I really just wanted to know was of the available satellites 99(ca), 99(cb), 99(s), 103(s) 103(ca), 103(cb), 101 and 119 should I be looking for good signal on? 17: Slimline-3S (SWM).

For the SWM set up you lock on to the 101 and fine tune the 99 and 103.
Thank you so much..... so get a good signal on 101 and then go to 99 and 103 and fine turn from there? This is great info, because we were fine tuning on 119 and felt like it wasn't helping.

But, wait...... What if I actually have 18: Slimline 5S (SWM) and what does it mean when the set up has Odd / Even and it is all red X's?

But, wait...... What if I actually have 18: Slimline 5S (SWM) and what does it mean when the set up has Odd / Even and it is all red X's?
You have a 5 lnb set up is all, still use the 101 as the base line.

Generally the red X means your signal is not high enough for the installers to pass. .... did you have any signal Strength on the Sats with the red X

Yes, on 101 we have hi 80's.... on 119 only 60% and on 103 40%, but just seems nothing we do can make it any better.

Yes, on 101 we have hi 80's.... on 119 only 60% and on 103 40%, but just seems nothing we do can make it any better.

make sure the tilt is accurate and mast is plumed(sp?) before you start, otherwise your going to be going all over the map.

Status
Please reply by conversation.