what's up on ku-x4?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

neil_kc1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
KANSAS CITY AREA
I just got skyvisions newest catalogue, and they are offering digital package of 4dtv on ku-x4. looks like some channels i might be interested in. What is the miminum i would need to get set up to pick them up? I am already watching ku mpeg free 2 air all over the sky. I do not want a bud, or anything else on c-band and was wondering if anyone knows of a receiver that does both mpeg and 4dtv? I have a pansat 3500s receiver coming to upgrade my system. Any suggestions?

To my knowlege, no one makes a receiver that will do both DVB-S and DCII. Both are mpeg 2 receivers. Your best bet, would be to get a 4dtv receiver and slave it to your mpeg 2 receiver and subscribe to a digital package and you'ld be all set to watch X4 programming. However, you would not be able to use the EPG (program guide), because you would need to go to G1 C-band to upload the program info. If other ku sats become available, you might not be able to get the proper maps unless you could go to G1 C-band to upload the info. You could also use a dedicated dish for X4, then you wouldn't have to slave the 4dtv to your mpeg 2 receiver. If you did slave it, you would have to watch the same polarity of the mpeg 2 receiver.

Al

If you are dead set on 4DTV less the bud, you might see if there is a chance in heck of getting DC lock on G1-3 with a 1.2M dish fixed on G1. I think it may be doable, but for sure it isn't a reccomended setup.

With my 5' Prime focus I'm able to lock G1-3, get the guide, and sometimes watch some of the pay channels I've subbed to on G1. Luckily G5 carries many on the Starz / encore channels too and I don't have any problem seeing those :).

Basicly - to get the guide and I believe the authorizations to see the programming you want to sub to, you need to be able to lock G1-3 (C-Band).

Beyond that you could likely use the 4DTV slaved to the Pansat for the X4 channels but it would kind of suck becuase the polarities would be all over the place. If the 4DTV will control a voltage switched LNB you could use a dual LNBF on the Ku dish and be all set there.

I'm not even sure that the 4DTV will work with a voltage switched LNBF though. Maye the 2 Ku and 2 C band LNB setting would work since that almost implies some kind of multiswitch.

One last note... If you ever did go this route, you'd be kicking yourself in the butt for not going c/Ku and getting it all.

Yep...

voomvoom said:
To my knowlege, no one makes a receiver that will do both DVB-S and DCII. Both are mpeg 2 receivers. Your best bet, would be to get a 4dtv receiver and slave it to your mpeg 2 receiver and subscribe to a digital package and you'ld be all set to watch X4 programming. However, you would not be able to use the EPG (program guide), because you would need to go to G1 C-band to upload the program info. If other ku sats become available, you might not be able to get the proper maps unless you could go to G1 C-band to upload the info. You could also use a dedicated dish for X4, then you wouldn't have to slave the 4dtv to your mpeg 2 receiver. If you did slave it, you would have to watch the same polarity of the mpeg 2 receiver.
Al

Yep...what voomvoom said!
That KU pkg is not a bad deal either! 4DTV still lives! ....Easy trick (if I do not screw up the birds names) is get to G4 on the c band side (4dtv of course) then setup for X4 and DO NOT MOVE the dish cause you are already there! Saving this position for X4 should be pretty close and you can fine tune away! The 4dtv simply adjusts everthing that X4 needs when you save the channel!. There is a Shepard's channel on G4 that is a boomer and I used that when setting up and again, and again!!
Jeff
Jeff

Last edited:
ku 4dtv

I don't think you can get your 4dtv authorized without receiving galaxy 1 channel 3 (c-band). I believe all authorizations come from G1-3 (c-band).

the x-4 package is great though.

The DSR-922 is compatible with lnbf's. You go into the options screen, system setup and choose "c-band lnbf" or "c and ku lnbfs".
This way it does not send anything to the servo outputs but changes coax voltage 13 volts=vertical and 18 volts=horizontal.

Hope that helps a little. Trucker

truckracer said:
I don't think you can get your 4dtv authorized without receiving galaxy 1 channel 3 (c-band). I believe all authorizations come from G1-3 (c-band).
the x-4 package is great though.
The DSR-922 is compatible with lnbf's. You go into the options screen, system setup and choose "c-band lnbf" or "c and ku lnbfs".
This way it does not send anything to the servo outputs but changes coax voltage 13 volts=vertical and 18 volts=horizontal.
Hope that helps a little. Trucker

You can also use G0-5 for authorizations, and for maps I think all movie channels have the maps, though G1-3 is the only place to get the IPG.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts