What's Up With The Lack Of 3D Broadcasting

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I didn't count each list but it looks like there's fewer 3D movies in 2012 than 2011. Shouldn't it be the other way around ?
I'm not a mathematician, and don't have access to the tools required for the following complex calculations. But, with less than four months into 2012, it appears that this year is on its way to surpass 2011 pretty easily.

Again, that's without the use of a slide rule or Cray supercomputer. So, my calculations could be a little off.

I'm not a mathematician, and don't have access to the tools required for the following complex calculations. But, with less than four months into 2012, it appears that this year is on its way to surpass 2011 pretty easily.

Again, that's without the use of a slide rule or Cray supercomputer. So, my calculations could be a little off.

Based on a quick google and some box office searches there were 40 domestically released (there were a few overseas only films) 3d films in 2011. As of today there are 36 3D films for 2012, but there are also gaps in the theatrical release list that may or may not be in 3D.

Based on a quick google and some box office searches there were 40 domestically released (there were a few overseas only films) 3d films in 2011. As of today there are 36 3D films for 2012, but there are also gaps in the theatrical release list that may or may not be in 3D.
Until 2012 is over, one cannot accurately count the number of 3D films released. I'm sure the number of 3D films announced at the beginning of 2011 was not the same as the number actually released that year.

Sorry if my making sense has thrown you off. I realize that logic and rational thought is a bit unusual for these sorts of forums and for the Internet in general.

Be a smart-ass all you want. The list includes dates up to December so it would appear to be a "complete" (to some extent) list. Movies aren't made and released with 3 months notice so there won't be dozens and dozens of add'l 3D movies that no one knew about....

The big question is will these 3D movie releases create enough interest in the technology to spur TV studios to start broadcasting prime time shows, as opposed to just sports specials, in 3D? Naturally nobody knows for sure so we are forced to speculate based on only a few things that we do know. Whether or not you personally like 3D is point a moot point to this question. I think the stars are aligned to make 3D a success. Obviously some disagree. It really boils down to content provided. Just like in the movie, "if you build it they will come".

You are using astrology plus a ghost story in support of your position? :eek:

Be a smart-ass all you want. The list includes dates up to December so it would appear to be a "complete" (to some extent) list. Movies aren't made and released with 3 months notice so there won't be dozens and dozens of add'l 3D movies that no one knew about....
You have the "smart" part right, anyway.

There may not be "dozens and dozens". But, the number will surely change. And, until we approach the end of the year, comparing the number of 3D releases between last year and this year, which is barely more than a quarter spent, is merely an exercise in the-opposite-of-smart.

I didn't count each list but it looks like there's fewer 3D movies in 2012 than 2011. Shouldn't it be the other way around ?
Yes, and there at least two on his list already released NOT in 3d. Cabin In The Woods most recently. Gross revenue trumps 3d hard *ns. 2011 was down 18% from 2010 in grosss revenue which was only 19% of the average total gross per film, average. We need more business degrees around here.

Last edited:
It would seem to me just the fact we are talking a few 3D movies either below, at, or above last year is not a good sign for 3D. Shouldn't it be much more, with no question there is an ongoing increase in 3D?

Until 2012 is over, one cannot accurately count the number of 3D films released. I'm sure the number of 3D films announced at the beginning of 2011 was not the same as the number actually released that year.

Sorry if my making sense has thrown you off. I realize that logic and rational thought is a bit unusual for these sorts of forums and for the Internet in general.

I used common sense... As I mentioned I counted every announced 3D film and even removed the changes (such as Cabin in the Woods) which were initially released as 3D. At this same point in 2011 there was actually 1 less 3D release than this year; however as Hall pointed out the list is fairly complete and accurate up until December 2012. Like with Cabin in the Woods the number may go down.

I'm not trying to slight 3D in any way in fact I wish there was more as well but the actual numbers are there regardless of how want to "calculate" them.

You shouldn't need a supercomputer to multiply a two digit number by four (unless you're from California where they don't teach multiplication tables).

It would seem to me just the fact we are talking a few 3D movies either below, at, or above last year is not a good sign for 3D. Shouldn't it be much more, with no question there is an ongoing increase in 3D?
Good point. The trend is certainly worth looking at. But, I wouldn't start calling it dead, if there were only a few more, or even the same number of 3D titles as last year. It could be due to wait-and-see from the studios.

OTOH, if, by the end of Q3, it appears there will be less total 3D titles in 2012 than 2011, it may be something that needs to be taken seriously by the 3D user community. Denial ain't just a psychology buzzword in Egypt.

Boy the Nay Sayers are grasping at straws. 1st they say there is no content. Then are shown 63 films over 2 years. Then they say that 2012 is less than 2011. intimating 3d is going out of business. well 2012 has less total films planned than were made in 2011. so I guess the whole movie business is going out of business. Come on get real. In addition every major sports and entertainment events in the future will be in 3d.
"Sci-fi nerds will be glad to known that Samsung and NBC Universal aims to make 3D versions of shows like Battlestar Galactica for purchase or streaming through Samsung’s Media Hub later this year."

harshness said:
You shouldn't need a supercomputer to multiply a two digit number by four (unless you're from California where they don't teach multiplication tables).

No need to insult the intelligence of millions of fellow Americans!

Rumor has it the reasoning behind the 1000.2 EA dish was to free up room on the 77 orbital for 3D programming. Only thing on the 77 is latino dos right now

This seems like a good time to re-ask my original question. Why do you think so little 3D is coming our way from the networks? I mean, if they have such a vested interest in the success of 3D, and it seems that they do, what are they waiting for?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)