What's up with the super stations?

wayne231

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Memphis, TN
Been keeping an eye on Dish's website. The superstations keep changing. Now it say I'm only available the upn out of boston. I'm charged for the superstations and I think I still get them. Just don't know.

just checked my addy and the same thing. the only superstation it lists is BOSTON WSBK UPN 8775
I guess cause that's the only one that's independent?

it says I can only get boston for 5.99 nothing else.this is the only reason I stay with dish.I like ktla and wwor and the other super.If I lose them then I might goto directv.

I keep wondering what the connection is between: first, the disappearance of WWOR from the supers on the qualifying page; then, the movement/renaming of WBZL and KSWB (CW-E/W); and finally, the mirroring of KTLA and WPIX to the 25x channel number range. Now it seems that all the supers but WSBK have disappeared on the qualification page.:confused:

I think it must be related to the many affiliation changes taking place over the last few weeks and DISH Network's attempts to sort them all out.

I don't think anybody will be losing anything that they already have with respect to superstations, but that's just a guess on my part.

Just to echo what others have said: I have tried a number of test addresses, and they all show only WSBK as being available. For me, in the LA market, I can't get either WWOR or WSBK, so no supers show up for me on the qualification page at all. I don't know if the WWOR/WSBK blackout will ever go away since it's really probably more about syndex than any network programming.:(

One final thought: if the closure of the WB and the UPN networks meant that those nets could render affiliation agreements null and void, could this mean that DISH network would have to re-negotiate the carriage of CW-E and CW-W stations, since the CW is a "new" network and would require a new agreement?

mrfish67 said:
Since the CW is a "new" network and would require a new agreement?

According to someone I spoke to at a local Clear Channel station, yes, it requires a new aggreement (and they don't have one).

Right now, DISH is providing us with the CW station from Miami (on ch. 254) instead of the local CW station. That is fine with me and all the neighbors that I have talked to.

People are always saying that the supers are or will be gone. Has anyone actually tried to order them? BTW no Agreement is required to broadcasta superstation. So I am not sure what is driving this but it qould not seem to be the lack of an agreement.

Last edited:
I'm in the Scranton DMA and the only one that comes up on the qualification page is WSBK. We do have a CW station in the locals, but still, I haven't heard of any changes to the law that would abolish superstations. Maybe Dish doesn't want to have to worry about blackouts?

I also notice that they still list WSBK as UPN, and still list the local CW as WB.

I don't think a thing has changed for my address location in Vt.

Local channels currently available in this package: Burlington, VT and Plattsburgh, NY Locals Package - $5.99 per month Station Local Channel Number Dish Channel Number BURLINGTON ABC-WVNY 22 8935 BURLINGTON CBS-WCAX 3 8936 BURLINGTON FOX-WFFF 44 8938 BURLINGTON NBC-WPTZ 5 8937 BURLINGTON NBC-WNNE 31 8943 BURLINGTON PBS-WETK 33 8941 Burlington PBS-WLED 49 8944 BURLINGTON PBS-WCFE 57 8942 STATEWIDE STATIONS Congratulations! This address is eligible for Statewide Channels.StationLocal Channel NumberDish ChannelBURLINGTON PBS-WETK 33 8941 SUPERSTATIONS Congratulations! This address is eligible for all Superstations.
Superstations - $5.99 per month Station Affiliate Dish Channel Number DENVER KWGN WB 235 LOS ANGELES KTLA WB 232 NEW YORK WPIX WB 234 BOSTON WSBK UPN 8775 NEW YORK WWOR UPN 238 Regional Sports Network with America's Top 60 Plus and higher Station Fox Sports New England NESN

Edit: Well I see that didn't stay neatly organized - sorry about that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts