What's wrong with the box in my bedroom?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

x3ro

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
Here lately, the box in my wife and i's bedroom has been going haywire..

Whenever we record a program, and go to watch it, it gets all blocky and the video and audio go haywire and make it pretty much impossible to watch.. And at random intervals, it says "part of this program has been lost due to signal loss" or some sh*t.. All the while, our box in the living room is recording the EXACT same show at the exact same time w/o a single problem...

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh... Help?

Check your check switch and see if you are having problems with your lnb. IF you are losing the tuners on say tuner 2 and not 1, then it would be the lnb. I have had to replace my lnb a month ago and my parents lnb tonight. Both dishpro plus twins , and both had problems with signal loss and pop ups that say part of the program was lost due to signal loss. I had a check switch problem that showed on one of my tuners no 110 sat while the other one had both 110/119/129 satellites. I would check your lnb as it is most likely the culpert.

If one receiver is having a problem but not the other then it would not be the lnbf as the other receiver would be picking up the same channel without a problem. It could be a problem with an output on the switch but most likely a problem with a wire going to that receiver or the tuner in that receiver itself going bad.

We need more information such as the type of satellite dish (Dish500, Dish1000, SuperDish, etc) and what type of satellite receiver you are using (522, 625, 721, 501, 508, 510, 921, 942, etc) in which you are having the issues with.

Also what type of switch is in between the dish and the receiver(s)? Is everything DishPro or is everything legacy?

If the receiver that you are having issues with is a dual tuner receiver then check to see if it is doing it on the second tuner at the same time as the first tuner. If it isnt then either the tuner has went bad or the wire or connector in between the switch and receiver is bad. To make sure it is a tuner issue and not a wire or connection issue then switch the wires on the receiver to see if you see the same thing happening on the same tuner. If it is happening on the same tuner still then it is a bad tuner. If the problem goes to the other tuner then it is a problem in the wire or connector. This only applies if you have the dual tuner receiver.

If you only have a single tuner receiver then you could swap the receivers in the rooms that they are in to see if the problem follows the receiver or stays in the room that it is in. If the problem stays in the room then it is a problem other than the receiver. If it follows the receiver then the problem is in the receiver itself.

Stargazer said:
If one receiver is having a problem but not the other then it would not be the lnbf as the other receiver would be picking up the same channel without a problem. It could be a problem with an output on the switch but most likely a problem with a wire going to that receiver or the tuner in that receiver itself going bad.

We need more information such as the type of satellite dish (Dish500, Dish1000, SuperDish, etc) and what type of satellite receiver you are using (522, 625, 721, 501, 508, 510, 921, 942, etc) in which you are having the issues with.

Also what type of switch is in between the dish and the receiver(s)? Is everything DishPro or is everything legacy?

If the receiver that you are having issues with is a dual tuner receiver then check to see if it is doing it on the second tuner at the same time as the first tuner. If it isnt then either the tuner has went bad or the wire or connector in between the switch and receiver is bad. To make sure it is a tuner issue and not a wire or connection issue then switch the wires on the receiver to see if you see the same thing happening on the same tuner. If it is happening on the same tuner still then it is a bad tuner. If the problem goes to the other tuner then it is a problem in the wire or connector. This only applies if you have the dual tuner receiver.

If you only have a single tuner receiver then you could swap the receivers in the rooms that they are in to see if the problem follows the receiver or stays in the room that it is in. If the problem stays in the room then it is a problem other than the receiver. If it follows the receiver then the problem is in the receiver itself.

Forgot to mention the hardware in the first post.. It's a Dish500 w/ a 522 reciever... Not sure about the other stuff... It was a brand new install, so I think it was all DPP stuff :dunno:

Now it's doing more weird stuff... For instance, my son was watching tv in his bedroom (using the same reciever that's in our bedroom, it's a dual tuner), but the picture on my TV went out and gave me errors, but his was working just fine... Later on it flip-flopped. His tv went out, and ours in the bedroom worked fine...

Weirdest sh*t I've ever seen...

Sounds like your having intermittant signal loss to one of your sat (IN)puts.

Run a check switch as previously mentioned (menu, #6, #1, #1). If one checks out "ok" but the others do not...

Check your connections at the reciever of course.

Find all exterior connections, check those for rust etc.

If all checks out you could have an lnbf problem.

Swap ports on the lnbf (or if there are two lines to the reciver swap those in back (easier)) and run another checkswitch. If the problem "moves" well then, there you have it. That's if your 522 is 2 line installed. It could be DPP which requires one line.

If they stay the same it could still be a line/connector problem or the reciever itself.

If both inputs on your 2nd checkswitch turn out bad consider that not only do you have a line problem but, you also have a lnbf port problem due to a short of somekind.

Of course you can always call in a TC to DNS for a technicians help.

G'luck.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)