Whats your opinion on best dish for high wind/snow area

Status
Please reply by conversation.

drhydro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Hey folks,
What do you feel (in your opinion) is the best 30" dish to be used in a high wind load / heavy snow zone area? Winds can easily hit 50 mph. This dish is going to be mounted on a roof with a fairly steep pitch (only place with a decent LOS), will a universal roof/wall mount work?

Initially this dish will not be motorized. When the dish is motorized, is there any reason to buy a motor rated as USALS such as the STAB hh90? I am leaning towards the winegard for the dish, and either a STAB hh90 or the sg2100 at a later point, but would like to hear your opinions. Ive read LOTS of reviews, but hearing from an end user is always best.

as always, THANKS

Winegard makes a real good dish. I have one of these and a hotdish. We can get pretty nasty winds in MN and I had to bend out the hotdish one time. The winegard is great! Highly recommend.

USALS is a feature on the receiver, not the motor. Diseqc 1.2 means you can use a motor, USALS moves it for you. I have a SG2100 and it work real good. Worked all last year (even during the week it was -20 at night) :)

I have had my SG2100 for around two years and it has never budged, I reset it once but in reflection I think the problem was with my setup rather than the motor, highly recommended, just like Iceberg I also can vouch for the quality of the American made Winegard dish. If the wind and snow is really bad I motor my dish way to one side or the other to reduce the profile and wind drag, I then repoint the dish into the sun and the snow just melts off!

An old Primestar dish is not too bad. Can't say I have one mounted but there is one about a block away I have my eye on and it't been up for years. I live in central NY and the winds can get up to 50 + MPH at times.

Make me wonder if there is a dish around 30" mesh you can buy?

Ken

Thanks for the replies and clarifications. I guess my confusion comes from reading too much :) .

One of the sites I had visited said that a receiver and / or motor should be USALS rated for USALS to work properly. The same site also said that terms such as "go to x" and "diseqc 1.3" (not 1.2) did not mean the items were USALS rated, and that problems could arise with automatic positioning when using said products.

Hmmmmm, guess I will listen to the voices of experience, and not an anonymous website author ;) By the way this was the usals.info website.

Thanks for your insights !

The term USALS is a "Stab" owned name (Universal Satellites Automatic Location System) As long as the motor is DiSEqC 1.2 it will work with USALS, DiSEqC 1.3 is a newer version, go to X is an earlier method of dish moving, but the SG2100 does works with USALS!

you guys rock, thanks so much for the prompt replies and helping me to clear the confusion of too many information sources :)

I need to chime in also. Winegard is the only dish to get. It was worth every penny I spent.

One winegard 30" dish / .5 standard lnbf ordered and on the way! I also picked up a sf 95 sat finder, hopefully that will help a bit in finding those elusive birds :)

Well folks as you know from other threads i have my Winegard dish set up and working. The only thing i found that i didnt like was that the lower bolt holding the feedarm to the dish was too long to permit me to hit an elevation of 18 degrees, replacing that 1" carraige bolt with a 3/4" bolt took care of that problem.

My main concern was how well this dish and its mount would handle high winds. Well yesterday we had gusts in my area that hit up to 62 MPH, and the Winegard handled that very well. So thanks folks, your advice on this thread was dead on.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)