Whats your thoughts on 360 price dropping?

If I didn't having either consoles and walk into the store looking for a next gen console, I'd probably choose a PS3. Almost a no brainer. $399 for a console *and a BluRay player. I think MS will have to have another price drop in 08 to compete.

If I didn't having either consoles and walk into the store looking for a next gen console, I'd probably choose a PS3. Almost a no brainer. $399 for a console *and a BluRay player. I think MS will have to have another price drop in 08 to compete.

They've definetly got the press and PR on their side, their newer commercials are sooo much better than the floating black box in the white room.

There's been so little Xbox stuff that I'd expect a big marketing campaign to launch soon or something.

The whole premise of the thread is faulty. Why does the collapse of HD-DVD have anything to do with the 360? The whole point of making no internal HD-DVD drive is so the future of the 360 would NOT be tied to the future of the format.

The overall package for of the ps3 looks pretty good these days. In fact I think the 360 pro ($350 IIRC) needs to drop $75-100.

Well it wasn't just the fault of the mother board. Its the placement of the gpu to the mother board, the gpu producing so much heat on the board to bend the mother board and bust soldering on the board. Really a design issue not just a hardware issue. But I guess if the new mother board places everything differently inside then that would work but I would think a new case design would have to be implented aswell possibly.

The whole premise of the thread is faulty. Why does the collapse of HD-DVD have anything to do with the 360? The whole point of making no internal HD-DVD drive is so the future of the 360 would NOT be tied to the future of the format.
Has everything to do with it. If HD-DVD had won, MS would be sitting pretty right now and Sony would be in serious trouble. The 40GB PS3 is $399. The premium 360 is $349. I'm sure MS will come out with a add-on BR player. Let's say it'll be priced at $150. That puts the 360 at $500 w/ a Blu Ray. I believe they'll need to drop the price to compete with Sony.

Has everything to do with it. If HD-DVD had won, MS would be sitting pretty right now and Sony would be in serious trouble. The 40GB PS3 is $399. The premium 360 is $349. I'm sure MS will come out with a add-on BR player. Let's say it'll be priced at $150. That puts the 360 at $500 w/ a Blu Ray. I believe they'll need to drop the price to compete with Sony.

The PS3 had everything on the line with blu-ray.
If Blu-ray lost the war, then it would have been bad for sony.

The 360 is a great gaming system, but I agree, the price should be dropped around 250-299$ for the pro system.

Its a bummer that you have to pay 99$ for the WIFI.

Has everything to do with it. If HD-DVD had won, MS would be sitting pretty right now and Sony would be in serious trouble.

Sony would be in serious trouble if BD had lost but the 360 wouldn't necesarily be the benefactor. People connect the 360 and HD-DVD way too much. It's just an add-on drive. It is not an integral part of the product.

The PS3 had everything on the line with blu-ray.
If Blu-ray lost the war, then it would have been bad for sony.

The 360 is a great gaming system, but I agree, the price should be dropped around 250-299$ for the pro system.

Its a bummer that you have to pay 99$ for the WIFI.

I forgot about the $99 WIFI adapter. That puts the 360 at $449 plus whatever the cost will be for the add-on BR player. The 360 price starts to become less attractive. Can't argue with you. 360 is a great system. I have 2 of them. If Sony gets it right with their Home release ( I think that's what it's called ) this could be the year for PS3.

Also it is not finalized that Microsoft is getting a Blu-ray addon.
I think Sony will keep Blu-ray for themselves for a while until they grant licensing the M$.

Sony doesn't grant the licensing, the BDA does. Sony is only one of many members. They get a cut of every unit sold, so why wouldn't they grant one?

And its official today that microsoft will no longer make hd-dvd add on players for the 360.

Microsoft to stop making HD DVD players for Xbox 360 - Feb. 24, 2008

SEATTLE (AP) -- -- Microsoft Corp. said it will stop making HD DVD players for its Xbox 360 video game system after Toshiba Corp. ceded the high-definition video format battle to Sony Corp.'s Blu-ray.

Microsoft (MSFT, Fortune 500) said Saturday it would continue to provide standard warranty support for its HD DVD players. Toshiba President Atsutoshi Nishida last week estimated about 300,000 people own the Microsoft video player, sold as a separate $130 add-on for the Xbox 360.

"HD DVD is one of the several ways we offer a high definition experience to consumers, and we will continue to give consumers the choice to enjoy digital distribution of high definition movies and TV shows directly to their living room, along with playback of the DVD movies they already own," Blair Westlake, a corporate vice president of Microsoft's media and entertainment group, said in a written statement.

Microsoft was one of HD DVD's main backers, along with Intel (INTC, Fortune 500) and Japanese electronics maker NEC Corp., and its support for the format was seen as a big win for Toshiba's format.

But support for the HD DVD waned as major movie studios -- Sony (SNE) Pictures, Walt Disney (DIS, Fortune 500) Co., News Corp.'s (NWS, Fortune 500) Twentieth Century Fox and Warner Bros. Entertainment -- picked Blu-ray to distribute high-def DVDs. Wal-Mart (WMT, Fortune 500) Stores Inc. struck what seemed to be the final blow just over a week ago when it said it would only sell Blu-ray players and discs.

Microsoft said it is looking at how the HD DVD technology it has developed, such as HDi, which adds interactive features to HD DVDs, and its VC-1 video encoding technology, can be applied to other platforms.

The Redmond-based software maker said the decision to stop selling HD DVD players won't have a material impact on its video game business.

That's too bad, with those 300,000 HDDVD addons in use for the 18 million console owners, Microsoft would have been 'sitting pretty'.

Meanwhile, the victor, revelling in their glory:

Harrison claims Sony invented Wii social gaming… then resigns - GAMER.BLORGE.com

....1 week notice, nice!

My 360 is plugged into a wireless access point, so for about $25 my 360 became wirelessly connected... much less than it would cost to make each of my controllers rumble if I were a PS3 user. It's no excuse for the high price of the wireless accessory, but someone try and explain away the high price of a Sony branded HDMI cable - everyone just blurts out 'Monoprice' like your average buyer has ever heard of it. Additionally the HDDVD is now $50 at retail, so that drops the price of your little comparison as well. But hey, with 300k owners, it's clear where the emphasis is for the 360, and why it will continue to get the publishing support it has.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)