wheeling/steubenville locals

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mikedz4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
When will directv launch wheeling/steubenville locals and will they include the SV pittsburgh locals?

the answer hasnt changed on the D* site since the last time you asked

Wheeling WV-Steubenville OH — Oct 2010

and in most cases no Pittsburgh wont be used since the market has all 4 nets available to them

Ice - just an FYI, the SV situation was also discussed to death on another board:
upper ohio valley channel changes august 10th - dslreports.com

Mike - contrary to what some of the folks (m of m particularly :rolleyes: ) over there got drummed into their heads, I GUARANTEE you will NOT be getting ANY P'burg SV's, on EITHER D* or E* - period! Just because cable carries them, DBS is NOT required to do so, period! It's been this way since day one, & I HIGHLY doubt they are going to do any special for your DMA. As Ice told you, since DBS will have all of the big 4 nets, DBS has determined there is no need for importing duplicate nets, except for a very few rare cases.

If you want P'burg locals so bad on DBS, sign up & then just "move" your account to a P'burg DMA address & PRESTO, you'll have EVERY P'burg local available. Do a search on moving on this board for details...

Last edited:
Ice - just an FYI, the SV situation was also discussed to death on another board:
upper ohio valley channel changes august 10th - dslreports.com
I read some of that...oh boy!

Mike - contrary to what some of the folks (m of m particularly :rolleyes: ) over there got drummed into their heads, I GUARANTEE you will NOT be getting ANY P'burg SV's, on EITHER D* or E* - period! Just because cable carries them, DBS is NOT required to do so, period! It's been this way since day one, & I HIGHLY doubt they are going to do any special for your DMA.
yep. Cable and satellite have different rules. If you look at what Dish did when they added the market they did the 5 channels (Big4 + PBS)
SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - Dish Network Wheeling, WV

and D* will do the same. The only time they import anything is when there is a "short" market. Example is Parkersburg, WV. They have Fox & NBC. The other 2 come from Clarksburg
SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - Dish Network Parkersburg, WV

As Ice told you, since DBS will have all of the big 4 nets, DBS has determined there is no need for importing duplicate nets, except for a very few rare cases.
exactly. Even though there are numerous counties outside of the Minneapolis DMA (and have other cities locals) that qualify for SV for MInneapois, they're not carried.
We have one case here in Minnesota...and its due to a technicality. Mankato, MN is 90 miles SW of Minneapolis and its own DMA...its CBS & Fox and is 4 counties. The county that borders the "main" county for Mankato is Niccolet County. That is in the Minneapolis DMA yet the CBS studio is in that county. So both D & E* give you Minneapolis locals and KEYC12 CBS (not Fox since its a subchannel) as a SV. Thats the only spot I know of in MN where they do it.

If you want P'burg locals so bad on DBS, sign up & then just "move" your account to a P'burg DMA address & PRESTO, you'll have EVERY P'burg local available. Do a search on moving on this board for details...
I agree

what about the cw and my network tv and the fact that ONLY KDKA carries steelers' preseason games and there are some sundays that wtrf out of wheeling carries browns or bengals instead of steelers?
Those are a couple reasons directv should carry some pittsburgh locals.

If you wan to play the SV card I got that hand beat :)

CW & My cannot be considered SV....When SV came out it was only the Big 3 (NBC, ABC, CBS) so technically thats all they can offer as SV

as for the NFL stuff, that is a NFL issue on what teams are consdiered secondary/primary markets. Plenty of examples like that so you're not alone
info on secondary markets
NFL on television - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sorry no matter how much of a hissy fit you throw or posts you make SV on satellite is a very rare exception more than the rule. A example was already given if you want Pittsburgh so bad. "MOVE" to Pittsburgh. Plenty of folks have done this.
They "move" to get one market and use OTA for the "local" market (yours truly included) :)

if i wanted to move i'd move to columbus or erie but this is all hypothetical since i wont even consider directv until i get my own place.

Will they consider offering them for a additional fee? Like say an extra $1.75 a month gets you the pittsburgh locals as well?

I didn't know they can't do that but maybe giving the situation and knowing that 90% of this dma is steelers fans and trying to one up dish they will allow this dma to also get pittsburgh locals.

I can see directv saying "dish doesn't carry pittsburgh locals and comcast makes you pay extra for them but they are included with our packages."

would that be a good strategy for directv since comcast charges extra for pittsburgh channels (and they don't have fox53) and dish doesn't carry them yet?

Also someone a dslreports told me directv is trying to launch them sooner not sure if it is true or not though.

You JUST DON'T GET IT!... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

if i wanted to move i'd move to columbus or erie

Then WHY THE HELL DO you keep pestering all these message boards about your fricken P'burg channels then??? Geeze... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You DO realize we are not talking about "physically" moving to P'burg, right??? :confused:

Last edited:
would that be a good strategy for directv since comcast charges extra for pittsburgh channels (and they don't have fox53) and dish doesn't carry them yet?

I dont think you understand the rules of which locals can be carried. Sadly cable is using different rules then satellite per the FCC

cable rules are from the 60's which are "if you can pick it up OTA you can have it on cable"...thats why my uncle's podunk cable has 2 NBC's and 2 Fox affiliates (yet only 42 channels total)

satellite rules are you can only carry one market in each DMA. The markets are made up from Nielsen..There are some rules with SV but as noted they are more the exception than the rule unless they are part of a "short" market where a market doesnt have the Big 4 Networks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)