When are the elliptical dish coming?

jimmykce1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Well from all the news on this foreum, Voom will be signing a lease agreement for another satellite on October 1, 2004. So when are we going to be upgraded to the new ellipitcal dishes? Has anyone heard any news on this??

I want to know as well. I have some rain fade issues with my dish but if were getting these new ones anyways I can wait a month or two because it doesnt rain too much here in TX.

Well the lease agreement is a done deal, it STARTS October first, that means to me on Oct 1, 2004 Rainbow Media cuts a check for that leased space already.. now Ilya and Scott G. have said the Voom users won't be benefiting from that probably until early 2005. If you have bad rain fade issues in your area (like South Florida hurricane center!) Voom upgrades you to a 24" dish that helps it alot.

Dvlos said:
Well the lease agreement is a done deal, it STARTS October first, that means to me on Oct 1, 2004 Rainbow Media cuts a check for that leased space already.. now Ilya and Scott G. have said the Voom users won't be benefiting from that probably until early 2005. If you have bad rain fade issues in your area (like South Florida hurricane center!) Voom upgrades you to a 24" dish that helps it alot.

So were not gonna see it until early 2005? If so Im gonna go ahead and get the 24 now... but the closest Installers Inc place is 2 hrs away so it has to be scheduled here ahead of time. Do I just call a CSR and tell them I want a upgraded dish? Or is there an easier way to get the process started?

I would start with the CSR, explain how many days you get rain fade, now torrential rains will always knock out a dish.. bad rain fade I think is when you got rain clouds in the sky, and you're losing signal, a few drops and you're out.

If this is happeneing to you, and frequently enough (give dates and stuff you were watching to be specific) the CSR will schedule the call. Next tell them you've read on the internet lots of people having problems getting dishes or upgraded OTA at times because of Installs Inc. Tell her you want her to confirm the appointment with Installs INc (you'll hold) and make sure they understand that it's for a 24" dish.

The CSR will tell you, "Installs Inc will make the approval based on location and blah blah blah" if you live in a rain zone you will be approved. When they call you back (and they did call me back, my caller ID said "Cablevision") have them e-mail you the confirmation appointment.

Dvlos said:
The CSR will tell you, "Installs Inc will make the approval based on location and blah blah blah" if you live in a rain zone you will be approved. When they call you back (and they did call me back, my caller ID said "Cablevision") have them e-mail you the confirmation appointment.

When I called, basically they said they would send out an installer to see what the problem was. I tried to tell the CSR I needed the 24" dish but apparently the CSR can't just submit a work order for a 24" dish based on the customers recommendation-only a work order to check out the problem. I then called my installer (I am on good terms with him and he is a nice guy) and told him Voom would be contacting him and I need the 24" dish. That will save you time if you call your installer personally and have him bring a 24" dish with him.

--Dan

So I guess Voom will start the upgrade process starting sometime next month?

Maybe it is the cynic in me, but I think they have not started changing over existing customers to the elliptical dish, because of the cost. If the company will not be around very long why change all the dishes to the 28,000 customers ? Think about what the cost it would be to them. Since VOOM is on shaky ground I think we will see the company go out of business before they ever change all the dishes.

I disagree to save Voom and gain more subs they are probably going to launch an SD lineup comparable to D* and E* on their new bird and use WM9/MP4 to do that. Offer all the FSN SD, kids channels, HGTV, Food, Lifetime.. blah blah blah, and still have the most HD.

Dvlos said:
I disagree to save Voom and gain more subs they are probably going to launch an SD lineup comparable to D* and E* on their new bird and use WM9/MP4 to do that. Offer all the FSN SD, kids channels, HGTV, Food, Lifetime.. blah blah blah, and still have the most HD.

I agree. They also shouldn't price it out of the stratosphere. Honestly if they offer maybe 3-4 months free programming with free install add on a two year commitment to protect themselves and I think you have a winning promotion. Voom HAS to get market-share from d* and E*. They MUST get aggressive. The technology alone will not buy over Joe Six-pack. You have to give him incentive. Undercut the competition damn it!!! Start a free Voom giveaway. Offer free TV's. DO SOMETHING VOOM!!! Just don't sit on your hands!!! :mad:

-Chris

Free TV is insane, but free 3 months with 2 year and DVR would be awesome. Maybe they are just waiting for more pieces of the puzzle to be ready before launching a massive attack?

Bigger dish

Well, I have also gotten tired of waiting for the bigger dish so I called and asked about getting upgraded due to my rain fade problems. The csr checked and I'm not in an, "approved area," to get the upgrade. I asked them who I could talk to about it then since I get rain fade when it's light rain outside and it's very annoying. They put me on hold for a few minutes and came back and scheduled an appointment for an installer to come out and determine whether I should receive a bigger dish. I'll be sure to, "convince," the installer I really need one.

btw, I live just outside of NYC so I can understand why I'm not in an approved area, however, the rain fade is ridiculous. I just can't stand it any longer.

The Rickster

When the installer comes stand in front of your dish and pee on it, watch as signal gets lost.

Rickster, you can pick up a 24" for about $30 if Voom won't do it for you. It's well worth it, I bought one for Dish when I was getting their HD from 61.5 and it works much better than the 18".

Darrel P if that is all it costs for a 24" dish hell I go and buy one myself,where can I get it?? Thanks Slick

Lol!

I won't have to pee in front of it, just wet my hands and shake the water off in front of it! :)

And Darrell, that's exactly what I'm planning. I figure I'll give them a shot at it first then I'll spend the money.

I'm more concerned with the OTA problems I have. I still have problems picking up stations and I'm 10-12 miles from the transmitter. I'm aware of some of the issues but I'm thinking a better antenna and/or someone who knows more about OTA reception may be able to help me out. I just can't find anyone in my area. I've posted in the Voom in Your Area forum as well as the Yahoo! Group. Got someone who said there was someone they knew the next town over but never was able to get the details from them.

I plan to ask the installer if there's anything he may be able to suggest. I think it's the same company and, if it's the same guy who did the install, he seems to have a clue. Maybe he can help.

The Rickster

Any news on these new dishes and going to mpeg4/wm9??

I believe Voom has another satellite their leasing as of the 1st of Oct.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)