When are the elliptical dish coming?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jimmykce1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
I think voom is now leasing a second satellite and was wondering when its customers will be getting upgraded to the elliptical dish and add a second LNB. Is Voom going to be waiting for MPEG4/WMP first before upgrading the dish? Anyone one heard something on this issue.

Dvlos said:
1rst Qrtr 2005 is the rumor on the dishes I believe.
I thought 1st Quarter '05 is when the SD channels are going to be migrated to MPEG4/WM9? I thought the bigger dish and MPEG4/WM9 modules were going to be implemented starting in October.

I'm so confused. :confused:

nffjm4069:

The orginal rumor was everything was going to happen around October 2004, but it look like it all has been pushed back.

The rumor wasn't rumor at all - it was based totally on Cablevision statements made in their SEC Form 10 filing:

1. Significantly increase the number of high definition and standard definition channels beginning in October 2004."
2. We expect to begin installing the new, larger antenna for new customer installation during the fourth quarter of 2004

"On April 23, 2004, we signed an agreement with SES Americom, Inc. to lease transponders on its Americom-6 satellite. This agreement will give us the ability to offer additional channels of programming beginning in October 2004, when the lease term commences. We do not yet have programming under license for most of these channels. While we anticipate being able to acquire programming for these channels, we may not be able to do so by the lease commencement date and doing so may substantially increase our programming costs."

"We intend to use the transponder capacity under the Americom-6 lease to significantly increase the number of high definition and standard definition channels we offer our subscribers beginning in October 2004 when the lease commences. Because of the proximity of the Americom-6 satellite to our existing Rainbow 1 satellite, which is located at its 61.5 (degree) W.L., our subscribers will be able to access the signal from both satellites with a single elliptical satellite antenna that will be approximately 35" wide by 20" high. This antenna is larger than the approximately 18" antenna we have installed and are currently installing for our customers. Rainbow DBS has not finalized its plans for implementing the use of the new satellite capacity, for the installation of the new antennas or for the switch over of existing customers to the new antennas. However, we expect to begin installing the new, larger antenna for new customer installation during the fourth quarter of 2004. We are not yet providing the new larger antenna so we do not know how much customer resistance to the larger antenna size we will encounter."

It's late October 2004 and no new HD channels yet and no sign of the new dish.
I won't resist a larger dish, they can start with me.

I Need The Bigger Dish. Rain Fade With The 18" Pie Plate Will Have Me Gone Before The End Of 2004

We got out 24" delivered yesterday, sometime today the installer should be coming by to set it up.

They are coming to Tulagi's in Boulder, Colorado on November 6th. Tickets are $10 in advance, or $12 at the door. A new local band called 'elliptical dish'.

'elliptical dish'

The Stone Man said:
They are coming to Tulagi's in Boulder, Colorado on November 6th. Tickets are $10 in advance, or $12 at the door. A new local band called 'elliptical dish'.
Do you think they could maybe set up on my roof. I could always cancel if I still get rain fade.

If V* gets bought out by E*, won't that put an end to mpeg4/wm9? Their choices are 1) have two separate systems. But then, what's the point since Dish subs will get no benefit from the Voom sat and why would E* buy V* if not for the sat capacity, or 2) upgrade EVERYONE to mpeg4/wm9, which would take at least a YEAR given the millions of Dish subs.

What we know is V* is unlikely to survive in its curent state. If E* buys V*, forget wm9. Will the V* STB work with E*? I don't think so. They use different encryption, right? So we'll probably all get Dish STB (I've seen it, I don't care for it) and maybe HD DVR (which I hear ain't so hot). OTOH, we'll gain all the E* SD channels V* doesn't already have, and HDnet.

Maybe Uncle Bill will come to our rescue.

WM9 would be a great idea for ALL of the sat providers given the bandwidth constraints, but one of the things that might hold up V*'s early adoption would be, drumroll please, current negotiations to sell V* to E* (or D*, but this latter option is unlikely, IMHO). The transition will be much longer given a transaction, but it will have to take place sooner or later (where else are you going to get between 4x - 10x the bandwidth equivalent?).

One thought along these lines: If Charlie gets Rainbow-1, will the lease on AMC-6 at 72 degrees be largely worthless? It might be valuable to D*, given that Directv-5 is at 72.5, but I'd be curious whether Americom would be willing to move it (and whether Rupert would be willing to buy it).

What might make sense is a pre-packaged bankruptcy for V* to get out of the lease, but even then, this will make the whole thing take longer.

Later,
Bill

riffjim4069 said:
The rumor wasn't rumor at all - it was based totally on Cablevision statements made in their SEC Form 10 filing:

1. Significantly increase the number of high definition and standard definition channels beginning in October 2004."
2. We expect to begin installing the new, larger antenna for new customer installation during the fourth quarter of 2004

"On April 23, 2004, we signed an agreement with SES Americom, Inc. to lease transponders on its Americom-6 satellite. This agreement will give us the ability to offer additional channels of programming beginning in October 2004, when the lease term commences. We do not yet have programming under license for most of these channels. While we anticipate being able to acquire programming for these channels, we may not be able to do so by the lease commencement date and doing so may substantially increase our programming costs."

"We intend to use the transponder capacity under the Americom-6 lease to significantly increase the number of high definition and standard definition channels we offer our subscribers beginning in October 2004 when the lease commences. Because of the proximity of the Americom-6 satellite to our existing Rainbow 1 satellite, which is located at its 61.5 (degree) W.L., our subscribers will be able to access the signal from both satellites with a single elliptical satellite antenna that will be approximately 35" wide by 20" high. This antenna is larger than the approximately 18" antenna we have installed and are currently installing for our customers. Rainbow DBS has not finalized its plans for implementing the use of the new satellite capacity, for the installation of the new antennas or for the switch over of existing customers to the new antennas. However, we expect to begin installing the new, larger antenna for new customer installation during the fourth quarter of 2004. We are not yet providing the new larger antenna so we do not know how much customer resistance to the larger antenna size we will encounter."

I checked the MPG/DVB website today for any new HD on the AMC 6 satellite and there is no mention of any of the new channels. I would say the plans for the elliptical dish went the way of the DVR and will not materialize. Look for the buyout of Voom by Dish in the near future.

If VOOM is being sold they would not go through the expense of swapping all the dishes for new dishes. This may give us a big clue as to what is going on. If VOOM is sold to Echostar would we need new equipment, ie the dish and receiver to get Dish network, or would we need all new equipment ?

barth2k said:
If V* gets bought out by E*, won't that put an end to mpeg4/wm9? Their choices are 1) have two separate systems. But then, what's the point since Dish subs will get no benefit from the Voom sat and why would E* buy V* if not for the sat capacity, or 2) upgrade EVERYONE to mpeg4/wm9, which would take at least a YEAR given the millions of Dish subs.

Another way to look at it is if Dish buys Voom, uses the new transponders, then eliminates any duplicate SD content - then they won't need MP4/WM9.

re: eliptical dish

I just had a larger dish installed because I live in Florida and rain fade is a huge issue here, and niether the Voom tech on the phone, or the installer had even heard anything about the new dishes.

For what its worth, anyone in south florida only needs to request a larger dish for rain fade issues and its an automatic upgrade.

bbtkd said:
Another way to look at it is if Dish buys Voom, uses the new transponders, then eliminates any duplicate SD content - then they won't need MP4/WM9.
Sat providers will ALWAYS be short on bandwidth. The cable guys have wire-based UWB coming soon that will give them orders of magnitude more bandwidth (the issue is one of patents - while most companies were out fighting for UWB OTA, one company patented it for wireline...).

For D/V/E*, the shift to MP4/VC1/WM9 will be expensive, but not nearly as expensive as putting up more sats for equivalent effective bandwidth. Think about it this way: each provider would love to be able to offer VOD of some sort. However, getting the bandwidth to do it is a challenge. If you have spotbeams, that helps. If you can compress your existing channel lineup into 1/4 its current size while increasing PQ, that helps even more.

The rumor on D* is that it is planning on doing this starting with HD subscribers towards the end of next year or early 2006. E* will need to do it as well since I doubt its customers will have a lot of tolerance for as many, or as big, of dishes as they will need given where all of E*'s new sats are going (it has almost 100 degrees of longitude beween the far east and far west sats). If (once) E* buys Voom, then that solves a short-term need for bandwidth and differentiating HD content, but they will need more pretty quickly...

Later,
Bill

I received an email this morning from Installs, Inc. stating that I had an upcoming service call. Since I have not talked to VOOM lately I called in to see what this was all about. I thought maybe I was getting the new elliptical dish.

At first Installs told me that I had requested the service call. When I told them I didn't remember requesting a service call they wanted to know if I wanted to cancel it, even though they couldn't tell me who by name had made the service call request or what service call was about. After a call to VOOM I found out that this was in response to request I made several months ago to have my dish replaced due to rain fade (Fort Worth, TX, rain fade really bad here).

I asked the VOOM rep about the leased satellite transponders and the elliptical dish. She didn't have a clue what I was talking about. She hadn't even heard about the leased satellite transponders.

Well at least I'm getting a new dish to help me with rain fade. I guess I'm going to have to wait a few more months to hear anything more about an elliptical dish. I figure the wait might be quite awhile since I don't think VOOM would replace my old dish if the elliptical dish was coming anytime soon.

Maybe I'll get surprised and they will install an elliptical dish (yeah, sure they will).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)