When can I "negotiate" a new agreement with DTV, and what can I expect to get?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

wope

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
Louisiana
I first got DirecTV back in April 2010. Since my contract is expiring, I would like to get the HR34 box, as well as add another box to another room in my home which has no box at the moment (currently have an HR22-100 and an HR21-200). How soon can I call them to try and agree to a new contract? Will I be able to get the same, or at least a similar deal that a new customer would get? I suppose if I couldn't, I could just cancel and open a new account in my wife's name? I currently have the Choice Extra package, and am happy with it, but if I could get a deal with some of the premium channels, I'm all for it.

Anyone else negotiate a new agreement lately? What were you able to get? Am I going to have to keep threatening to cancel, or is it usually fairly easy when your contract is up?

Thanks for any info!

You can call now and get a pretty good deal on an HR34 you don't have to wait for your contract to expire. When you get to the automated lady and she asks you to describe why your calling say: "cancel" or "close" so it routes you directly to the retention department. Your account is rated from a 0-5 this is based on package, payment history, number of active receivers, location, tenure ect... not the length of time remaining on your current agreement. If your rated a four or five you can get up to $250 in credit towards your order, if your commitment is about to expire you probably have a tag on your account which means there is one receiver already available to you at little to no cost. That could be used for your third room, and the agent can use the credit towards the HR34. The new customer offer is exactly that, a new customer offer so don't expect to get it again, although they do have really great deals for loyal customers. Do not threaten to close and reopen an account in your wife's name, you only get one new customer offer per household, if you try to do this 99% of the time it will immediately void the pending order as fraud. The HR34 is SWM only so if you don't already have it you may have to fork over the funds for a mrv upgrade. Good luck!

Last edited:
You can call now and get a pretty good deal on an HR34 you don't have to wait for your contract to expire. When you get to the automated lady and she asks you to describe why your calling say: "cancel" or "close" so it routes you directly to the retention department. Your account is rated from a 0-5 this is based on package, payment history, number of active receivers, location, tenure ect... not the length of time remaining on your current agreement. If your rated a four or five you can get up to $250 in credit towards your order, if your commitment is about to expire you probably have a tag on your account which means there is one receiver already available to you at little to no cost. That could be used for your third room, and the agent can use the credit towards the HR34. The new customer offer is exactly that, a new customer offer so don't expect to get it again, although they do have really great deals for loyal customers. Do not threaten to close and reopen an account in your wife's name, you only get one new customer offer per household, if you try to do this 99% of the time it will immediately void the pending order as fraud. The HR34 is SWM only so if you don't already have it you may have to fork over the funds for a mrv upgrade. Good luck!

How do I know if I have SVM? If I don't, how much might that cost me? Thanks for the info!

wope said:
How do I know if I have SVM? If I don't, how much might that cost me? Thanks for the info!

An easy way to tell is how many lines run to your DVR's? If 1 then it's SWM, if 2 then it will need to be converted to SWM to get an HR34

Is the hardware needed for the multi-room DVR etc going to be inside, or is it all out side? I ask because I have limited space inside.

wope said:
Is the hardware needed for the multi-room DVR etc going to be inside, or is it all out side? I ask because I have limited space inside.

It's not that big and its in the back so you don't see it.

Attachments

• image-4149130574.jpg
    image-4149130574.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 237
insider66 said:
It's not that big and its in the back so you don't see it.

That's a power inserter, that's a must in a SWM system. At most you'll end up with receiver deca's. I forgot what receivers you said you had but unless you have 24's or 25's you'll need the deca's. No worries though, like said above, they're small and you make get the new deca 2 model. Them are even smaller then the first gen

No you shouldn't be charged for an MRV install. I've only heard of that for an upgrade to SWM. The hr34 installer will just toss a couple decca's on the pre-24 receivers. Not exactly heavy lifting...

I'm going to call tomorrow. Should I transfer straight to retentions or just try a random CSR?

wope said:
I'm going to call tomorrow. Should I transfer straight to retentions or just try a random CSR?

Say cancel when the automated lady asks you to discribe why you're calling, and it will transfer you right to retention. A regular CSR won't be able to offer much.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts