"WHEN" can I Upgrade from HR44 to HR54 ??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

DaveTheBrit

Original poster
Mar 22, 2018
Near Houston, Tx
During a very recent 'NEW' upgrade from SD Dish & Receiver to HD Dish & Receiver, even though we said we had a 4K (RVU) TV, they installed an HR44 directly to the TV
Currently we only have that one TV

I am a Sports NUT and see that there are a lot of upcoming 4K Sports broadcasts on 4K channel.

I now read (on AT&T forums) that to watch 4K I only need 'Select' package or higher, AND I could use an HR54 connected directly to the TV but have to pay for an extra TV client.
Yes I know there is an HS17 available BUT I have read nothing but problems about it..

I don't know whether a different Dish is required for 4K?

Being new to DirecTV -- My question is - can I upgrade my receiver/dish at any time?
I seem to remember being told something about only being able to upgrade equipment every 2 years - Is that true ????

You don't need a new dish, but most likely a new lnb, the reverse band type. Normally upgrades are every two years. Was yours designated as a 4k upgrade or just to hd? If only to hd, ask about going to the HR54. Explain that you thought you would be able to get 4k. Although that may not work, it's worth a shot! It would extend your contract to two years from the new date.

Reactions: Jimbo
If you go with an HR54 you'll have to pay for an additional TV. An HS17 wouldn't carry that charge.

You cannot connect the HR54 directly to the TV and watch 4K. You must have a client or use the RVU in the TV for that. Both carry the addition $7/month charge. FWIW, I've had an HS17 since August and haven't had any unusual issues.

During a very recent 'NEW' upgrade from SD Dish & Receiver to HD Dish & Receiver, even though we said we had a 4K (RVU) TV, they installed an HR44 directly to the TV
Currently we only have that one TV

I am a Sports NUT and see that there are a lot of upcoming 4K Sports broadcasts on 4K channel.

I now read (on AT&T forums) that to watch 4K I only need 'Select' package or higher, AND I could use an HR54 connected directly to the TV but have to pay for an extra TV client.
Yes I know there is an HS17 available BUT I have read nothing but problems about it..

I don't know whether a different Dish is required for 4K?

Being new to DirecTV -- My question is - can I upgrade my receiver/dish at any time?
I seem to remember being told something about only being able to upgrade equipment every 2 years - Is that true ????
So Dave,
Do you have a 4k (with or without RVU) TV or not ?

IF you designated to D* that you had a 4k TV when you ordered and wanted 4k then you should be able to contact them and tell them that you have 4k set and cannot watch live 4k with a HR44 and would like to get the right recvr, HR54 to replace it.
As mentioned you would need a C61k as well and thats where the extra cost comes in .... personally I would get that set up vs using the RVU ... you know the client will get updates as time goes by, but you don't know if the TV will .....

As for the HS17 ... thats your call, if you want to go that route is up to you.

I can't, but you can.

Fwiw, they MAY have already installed a RB LNB, maybe .... you can check that in the menus.
Lots of times, like where I live, the RB is all they are using now, regardless of service.

When you first posted I pointed out you would need an HR54 not an HR44 if you wanted 4K. Your chances of getting one now are slim to say the least.

I think the objective was to get the HR54 free

Depending on how long ago they installed the HR44 you may be able to upgrade to an Hr54 and a 4K mini through a local dealer for free.

I have seen the option come up for a few customers I did upgrades for.

I guess it would depend on where the OP is located but quite a few dealers here in ND have them or can get them.

Depending on how long ago they installed the HR44 you may be able to upgrade to an Hr54 and a 4K mini through a local dealer for free.

I have seen the option come up for a few customers I did upgrades for.
There was a time when they considered a HR44 and a HR54 the same, as in a Genie, and would not upgrade, has this changed ?

I suppose they would have to if you told them you wanted to get 4k

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)