When did Dish move from Tribune to Gracenote?

Huh? Gracenote is owned by Tribune. They provide music data. Has there been a change where they do EPG data now?

Not at home. Interesting. I wonder if there will be any practical effect?

Just visited web site. Sure looks like it, although they mention DirecTV, but not Dish. Yet.

Gracenote is part of Tribune and the guide listings service are now run through Gracenote. I saw something from the owner of Schedules Direct mentioning it, while updating my nextPVR installation and looking to see if it was worth changing the way I currently get listings. Also while trying to get guide info updated for LAFF network that was recently added in Tulsa. Of course no listings from Dish, but my Tivo, NextPVR and Zap2It listings are also all blank for over 2 weeks now and all tribune contact info for guide listings redirect to Gracenote.

Gracenote is part of Tribune and the guide listings service are now run through Gracenote. I saw something from the owner of Schedules Direct mentioning it, while updating my nextPVR installation and looking to see if it was worth changing the way I currently get listings. Also while trying to get guide info updated for LAFF network that was recently added in Tulsa. Of course no listings from Dish, but my Tivo, NextPVR and Zap2It listings are also all blank for over 2 weeks now and all tribune contact info for guide listings redirect to Gracenote.
I have been getting EPG on my Hoppers for LAFF at 7.3 since day one. But this sort inconsistency has been widely reported. Almost forgot to say, that is 7.3 in Los Angeles.

IMHO, I think Tribune wants to get the Gracenote brand out there among consumers more and moved the television EPG for that reason, as well as it making some sense for music and TV metadata to be together at ONE company. I would not be surprised if this is the start of some move to make Gracenote a direct to consumer product with subscriptions from consumers in addition to the current model of only licensing to manufacturers and receiving royalties/payments from them for use on the lifetime of the CE devices. I never saw that (payments from manufacturers only) as a sustainable business model, especially when some devices would DROP Gracenote access from subsequent device MODELS. Yeah, Apple and a few other companies are likely to never drop Gracenote anytime soon, but I would not be surprised if Apple, somehow, creates is own metadata database for it users only at some time in the future.

FWIW, Gracenote itself can be pretty UNreliable for metadata, especially for Classical music: wrong art work, wrong album altogether, foreign language listings, poor and inconsistent track listings, etc. This is primarily due to the fact that Gracenote is still a Wiki, and so is profoundly dependent on the quality of the info the "amateurs" are uploading. The terrible irony is that Gracenote is better than SOME other music metadata providers. Maybe the budget which would presumably be for BOTH TV EPG data and music metadata means they can hire SOMEONE to actually clean up the many dependencies with Gracenote metadata.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)