When does the Nexstar Dish contact run out?

Darrell S

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 13, 2004
Parts Unknown
I have a feeling it will be soon, since I lost the local Mission Fox station on Dish not too long after Directv pulled it.
I lost my nex NBC channel tonight on Directv. I'm so tired of these greedy local free OTA stations who can't make it on ad sales extorting programmers.
It's kind of hard to get an OTA signal when you live 70 miles away behind a ridge.
Rant Over you may return to your regularly scheduled programming

Reactions: That American Girl
I have a feeling it will be soon, since I lost the local Mission Fox station on Dish not too long after Directv pulled it.
I lost my nex NBC channel tonight on Directv. I'm so tired of these greedy local free OTA stations who can't make it on ad sales extorting programmers.
It's kind of hard to get an OTA signal when you live 70 miles away behind a ridge.
Rant Over you may return to your regularly scheduled programming
Dish signed a multi-year contract in December of 2020 with nexstar. However that's basically the only info we got. It's 2023 now which is enough to already be considered multi-year. So no telling when and if they'll pull channels again.

Reactions: charlesrshell
They are currently doing the "pre-pull" dance with DirecTv/Uverse on our CBS affiliate here in Indy.

Exactly - I love the fact my VIP211k has the built-in tuner. The only channels I don't receive reliably here are ION (which I never watch) and NBC, but I can work around that.

Nexstar contract for Dish - I wouldn't be surprised if it ends at the end of this year or early next year, somewhere around the end of NFL season or NFL Playoffs/Super Bowl time. There have been patterns in the past of contracts being 3 years long. No idea if this one is, but if it is 3 years long it would end right around that time.

Dish doesnt have any major contracts with locals for the rest of this year. Beyond December I have no clue though.
Contracts aren't with local stations themselves. Each local affiliate is owned by different companies. For example nexstar may own fox in one market but own cbs in another market plus many other non local stations. Then mission broadcasting might own your local nbc but own abc in the next market over. So it all just depends on who actually owns your locals in your area. You can find out by just searching each station on Google and finding the Wikipedia page for that station.

Absolutely. You even have the guide for most channels and subchannels.
But the dongle only has two tuners. you can only record 2 OTA channels sumultaneously.

The problem with having more internal tuners (to the dongle) is the heat generated by each tuner and the splitting of the incoming signal to four parts instead of two cuts the signal strength again in half making some weaker signals impossible to receive without an external OTA amplifier which introduces the amplification of the background noise