When is DN coming out with Dual HD tuner DVRs?

Once they get this issue solved, they'll have me back as a customer. I need to be able to watch my DVR'd HD content on more then one television.

Scientific-Atlanta offers no such box. They do have a dual-tuner HD-DVR but it only feeds (1) TV. I don't know about Motorola... Who else makes set-tops for cable or FIOS ??

This thread title needs to be changed. A lot of boxes with two HD tuners exist. It is separate HD outputs for both tuners that people want. And I'm not aware of any that exist. Seems few people have or can run an HDMI cable a long distance to another room for a separate TV, so the market for this may be small at the current time.

I'm hoping they come up with the HD dual tuner, single TV DVR. It's been promised... or announced... since at LEAST 2006. Heck there's even a VIP612 in the 2007 catalog. But it never becomes available. I have a dual tuner DVR in the living room and a single tuner DVR in the bedroom.... NOT HD....

I called and they said they'd SELL me another DVR for my bedroom if I upgrade to HD service...a second 622.. for like $549.

I've been a dish customer for many years and have upgraded equipment and programming several times. I'm not giving them $549 for a bedroom receiver. They can kiss my *nightstand* ....

As far as the dual HD output in a DVR? I can't see where this would be helpful to more than a handful of people who have a second HD TV on the other side of a wall where their main TV is located. The cabling for longer runs would be expensive. How much is a 100' HDMI cable? Or 100' of component cable with audio? I'd be happy if they just provide what they SAID they would provide.... the VIP612 ... or their latest carrot... the external hard drive ... either solution would be fine with me as long as it doesn't cost me $549 for the bedroom receiver upgrade.

As far as the dual HD output in a DVR? I can't see where this would be helpful to more than a handful of people who have a second HD TV on the other side of a wall where their main TV is located. The cabling for longer runs would be expensive. How much is a 100' HDMI cable? Or 100' of component cable with audio?
Very good points. Just because something is possible doesn't make it practical. Other fact is, HDTVs aren't *that* common. Sure, more and more people have (1) HDTV but those with multiples are far and away the exception, not the rule.

I've briefly contemplated a 2nd HDTV to replace the TV in our bedroom but then realize I won't have HD programming other than OTA. Well, I could get an HD box from Dish but that's not very likely for me anytime soon.... It would HAVE to be DVR-capable, so that puts me back to (2) 622s (or a 211 with external storage ... when's that gonna happen though ?).

Not me. I don't anticipate having two televisions close enough together to use such a device.

I agree, but this is what people in this thread are asking for.

Factor in how many people actually have an HDTV, then the small subset of people that have 2 or more HDTVs and then the subset of that who can run cables from one DVR to both TVs. It is a very small market I would say.

Last edited:
HeavyC, who are you a customer of now, that is giving you such an ability?

I'm just with Mediacom cable at the moment, but I have 2 HD-DVR's with them. I can at the very least schedule the same recordings on both boxes.

There have been rumors about networked DVR's going as far back as Voom when I was with them. I've heard the same rumors about Dish Network now (at least I"m assuming), and even DirecTV has said something similar.

I've always thought that would be the holy grail that would get me to sign up for whatever service provider offered it first. I could have 2 HD DVR's with Dish Network too, but that's not vastly different then what I've got right now with Mediacom.

So basically I'm decently satisfied with renting the boxes from Mediacom, but the networked HD DVR functionality would get me to cancel them in a nanosecond.

The ViP622 can be used this way.

didn't pick up the whole quote I guess...
It was in reference to a dual tuner, single TV HD DVR.

Yes I know it can be used this way. I use it this way in my living room. I think my point was that this non-existent, single TV DVR .... single OUTPUT, that is.... does not exist despite the fact they've announced it. It's SUPPOSED to be less expensive than simply buying another VIP622.

I have an HD TV in my living room and a smaller HD LCD set in the bedroom (29") and it would be NICE.... though not absolutely necessary to have HD in both locations. I current;y have the non-HD single tuner DVR in the bedroom and it gets used as a DVR several times a week. I'd like to replace it with an HD single DVR, but there isn't one.

I'm starting to think that when I upgrade my service I'll just leave the upstairs receiver alone. It's not worth the expense as long as my wife thinks the current satellite (non-HD) service is "good enough".

Just seems a waste to me.... but what do I know.. I'm just a technology junkie (and a *gasp!* husband!)

:)

There have been rumors about networked DVR's going as far back as Voom when I was with them.
Scientific Atlanta's SA8300HD is "multi-room" capable with the right software (SARA). My local TW uses Passport software which has multi-room abilities in newer versions but most cablecos seem to stay waaaayyy behind what Pioneer has. Worse, the pricing scheme my TWC had would have offered NO financial benefit (to me). Sure, I could "share" recording but for the same price I can rent (2) DVRs. Also, unlike my 622, with TW's boxes, you can't watch HD programs on a non-HD TV or through a non-HD set-top.

Scientific Atlanta's SA8300HD is "multi-room" capable with the right software (SARA). My local TW uses Passport software which has multi-room abilities in newer versions but most cablecos seem to stay waaaayyy behind what Pioneer has. Worse, the pricing scheme my TWC had would have offered NO financial benefit (to me). Sure, I could "share" recording but for the same price I can rent (2) DVRs. Also, unlike my 622, with TW's boxes, you can't watch HD programs on a non-HD TV or through a non-HD set-top.

Yeah, eventually, I may just end up going the dual 622 route. One for the theater in the basement, and one for the general use main floor TV. I've thought about not putting one down in the theater, but that's where the majority of major sporting events get viewed in my house.

didn't pick up the whole quote I guess...
It was in reference to a dual tuner, single TV HD DVR.

I read the whole quote, and exactly what you said is what the 622 can do, but it has slightly more capability. Sounds like you want something cheaper is all. I guess I don't see the point of Dish offering what your asking as it would simply add more hardware to support. How much cheaper can the same box without the RF out for TV2 be? But who knows how Dish thinks and we'll see what they do I guess. Sure it costs a bit to buy another 622, but it is still cheaper than a Tivo series 3 which is dual HD tuner, single TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts