When is DN coming out with Dual HD tuner DVRs?

Count me as one who could care less about a dual-HD-output DVR.

Have never (and will never) use my 622 in dual mode. When I get an HDTV for the bedroom, I will want another dual-tuner HD DVR dedicated just for that TV. I realize that there is some cost savings with using the 622 in dual mode to feed a 2nd TV. I want to be able to watch & record at the same time/have PIP/do whatever the hell I please when I'm watching TV. When used in single mode, the 622 is a tech marvel! Good GUI/Recording 3 tuners/watching off the HDD at the same time/etc.

What i think would work out great would be a 211 that could "talk" to a 622 via your wireless router. They have USB and and ethernet ports and i'm sure it's just a matter of writing the software.

I would get another reciever then which would be another $5 a month from me. Until then i'll be happy with modulated 622 output for whole house distribution as there's only 2 of us in my house.

I am also waiting for a dual HD output DVR. I currently use my 622 in dual mode and love the fact I don't have to have a seperate box in my bedroom. Nice clean wall mounted LCD and the fact I can access the DVR is a feature i can't live without. The only true drawback is not being able to use an HD set to it's full potential. Please dish, make a dual HD output DVR.

On Tech Chat they implied that their solution would not be a dual HD output DVR, but instead it would be that two 622's could "share" recorded programming, possibly through the ethernet port.

They did not come right out and say that, but I inferred it from their implication.

On Tech Chat they implied that their solution would not be a dual HD output DVR, but instead it would be that two 622's could "share" recorded programming, possibly through the ethernet port.

That solution would be fine with me, once I get that second HDTV I've had my eye on. Two 622's equals four sat tuners and two OTA tuners. There are times when the missus is using both 622 tuners and the 501 tuner in the bedroom, and I can't watch any TV. Arrgh.

And the nice thing about shared recordings is that you can choose where to watch a show you've recorded; that way I can lock myself in the bedroom if the kids are driving me crazy.

Plus, Dish would love sharing between two 622's (or a 622 and a 211) because they don't have to develop/introduce/support even more hardware.

While I understand the skepticism some of you have towards a dual-HD output DVR, I think the next step in the evolution of the DVR will be towards whole-house sharing. Tying a DVR recording to one particular TV is irritating; it's like having E* on one TV and cable on another. If I'm paying all that money for E* programming on all my TVs, I want to be able to watch all my recordings on all my TVs, as well. I say, Bring it on! (Once I can afford that second HDTV, that is.)

There is a company called Digeo in Kirkland, Wa that supposedly is coming out with a true dual tuner and output DVR box (Moxi). They have some sort of remote device or repeater which can extend HD over RG6 or ethernet, the STB also has usb connections for additional HDD storage without restrictions. I think they plan on going big into retail soon to compete with Tivo..

I was a technician for D* up until last year, a little after they released HR20 IRDs and I believe they are dual HD tuners. Reason for this post was that I would love to be able to record 2 HD contents at the same time. I could care less about dual HD output as it will be used for single tv. As more contents become available in HD, it would just make thing so much more enjoyable. I am now a E* tech... I am loving it.

Last edited:
There is a company called Digeo in Kirkland, Wa that supposedly is coming out with a true dual tuner and output DVR box (Moxi). They have some sort of remote device or repeater which can extend HD over RG6 or ethernet, the STB also has usb connections for additional HDD storage without restrictions. I think they plan on going big into retail soon to compete with Tivo..

And before the first one goes on sale, there will be a court order against them for copyright violations under the DMCA.

Back in 02 when the had all the techs company wide retest for all levels one of the training manuals referred to the dual tuner and then said that they were working on a three and four tuner receiver but nothing ever came of it. The only practical use for a dual hd output receiver would be for those who have two sets side by side, back to back such as living room and bedroom or above and below such as living room and man cave, outside of that it makes no logical sense to have.

I was a technician for D* up until last year, a little after they released HR20 IRDs and I believe they are dual HD tuners. Reason for this post was that I would love to be able to record 2 HD contents at the same time. I could care less about dual HD output as it will be used for single tv. As more contents become available in HD, it would just make thing so much more enjoyable. I am now a E* tech... I am loving it.

You can do that with the 622. Actually you can record 3 HD programs at once (2 sat and 1 OTA). You just can only watch it in HD on one tuner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)