When Is The Next Wave Of Hd Coming On E*

HDTVFanAtic said:
I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but there are 20 HD LIL markets already committed to.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=615001&postcount=3

Others Still Planned
(list is by size, date of addition may not be so)

Cleveland/Akron/Canton, OH
Orlando-Daytona Beach, FL
Pittsburgh, PA
Baltimore, MD
Charlotte, NC
Milwaukee, WI
Cincinnati, OH
Greenville/Spartanburg, SC/Asheville, NC
Norfolk/Portsmouth, VA
New Orleans, LA
Memphis, TN
Oklahoma City, OK
Buffalo, NY
Providence, RI/New Bedford, MA
Louisville, KY
Jacksonville, FL/Brunswick, GA
Austin, TX
Tulsa, OK
Springfield, MO
Burlington, VT/Plattsburgh, NY

Could you please explain where these 20 HD LILs Markets are going and where all this extra capacity is?

Ummm..did you forget maybe 118.7 like Detroit and St. Louis have???

And who said those 20 markets are deffinetly going up in 2006

Dish has been known to not actually complete projects within their own time frames ;)

psumattDE said:
Ummm..did you forget maybe 118.7 like Detroit and St. Louis have???

Actually, no I did not forget about 118.7

There are 4 HD-LIL already taking up 4 Tranpsonders there.

Did you forget 118.7 has internationals?

Or perhaps you think 118.7 has 50 transponders?

Again, it appears you need 20+ transponders for HD LIL already committed to - I don't see 20 transponders (or reusable spotbeams) in any chart that anyone has posted anywhere.

That says serious no more channel capacity to me. Again, I'd love to be wrong - just show me where they are all going - even if theoritically. And remember, for every transponder you pull from 61.5W for spotbeam, if that is in deed possible, you end up loosing 4 national mpeg4 positions.

Last edited:
BFG said:
And who said those 20 markets are deffinetly going up in 2006

Dish has been known to not actually complete projects within their own time frames ;)

It's still a committment. And if they are committed to it, then where is the plenty of space. That's all I am asking - use your chart and show me where they are all going - even if theoritically. Slot every one in a hole.

If the fit and there is room left over, then they have capacity for more. If you cannot, then they are filled. There really are no shades of grey here.

juan said:
ummm what about 118?..perhaps you should do a search b4 talking out of you a$$
I guess you didn't hear there's been a recall on the Dish 1000 Plus. Maybe YOU should search before talking.

Anybody know what kind of bit rates Dish is achieving on their MPEG4 LiLs these days?

We really need to compare, say, a CBS affiliate during Letterman on an MPEG4 LiL and their national CBS feed. Have these numbers been posted already?

Maybe these channels are already running lean enough that they can cram more onto each transponder. Though I doubt it, I am sure that Dish is still tuning their locals, for bit rate as much as quality I'm sure, as my 1080i LiLs continue to look better. Still soft, but no more of the nasty frame rate issues that made it unwatchable. The NHL playoffs on NBC looked like a Chaplin film. NBC HD golf a few weeks ago was still pretty bad. But Leno and Letterman have looked pretty good to me recently, though I don't watch either regularly.

who_the said:
Anybody know what kind of bit rates Dish is achieving on their MPEG4 LiLs these days?

I dont have any HD LiL to test, but StarzHD is coming through at 15mbit or so. I would guess thats about the same for the HD LiL 1080i channels as well. Basically, no space savings at all, at this point in time.

I just called Dish and there is no recall on the Dish Plus line.

Don't know where this info came from, but I am told it is false.

I also logged into the retailer site and also no mention of anything there.

Scott Greczkowski said:

I for one didnt believe the post above claiming there was a recall. Sorry, but info like that from a 2 post new member doesnt cut it as fact for me! :D Thanks for checking to verify it though Scott!

Dont suppose while you were on the phone with them that you found out any new juicy info??? :D

Maybe recall was too harsh of a word, but we have been informed not to install anymore at this time as the brackets that hold the DP Duals breaks off at the slightest bump. We have already broken 3 out of our office alone.

Sean7065 said:
I guess you didn't hear there's been a recall on the Dish 1000 Plus. ......

Scott Greczkowski said:

Sean7065 said:
Maybe recall was too harsh of a word, but we have been informed not to install anymore at this time as the brackets that hold the DP Duals breaks off at the slightest bump. We have already broken 3 out of our office alone.
IMO, maybe this should re-posted as a new thread, so other installers and retailers could comment on whether they are having the same problem ?

MODS: what do you think ?

Last edited:
Sean7065 said:
I guess you didn't hear there's been a recall on the Dish 1000 Plus. Maybe YOU should search before talking.
Definitely something going on. My Dish1000+ install has been rescheduled 4 times now and they called today saying it will most likely be October before they get the new "new" dish1000+ dishes in stock. It may be time to look into buying it.

packman95 said:
is there a difference between the 1000 and the 1000+ you guys are refering to?
1000+ is a bit larger and gets the satellite at 118.75 which has internationals and the HD locals for Detroit and St. Louis.

Maybe someone cal help me out with a few questions.

I am currently a Directv subscriber. I am displeased with our HD (or lack there of). I am sure most here know that Directv has "hd lite" so they down rez their HD channels for bandwith reasons.

I know Directv has launched new satellites, and MPG4 is here. I am on the list to get my locals in high def through the satellite this quarter.

Now that Dish has ESPN2, and NFL Network HD. I am considering moving to it. I am not sure the value I will find in the Voom HD channels.

My Question are: When does Dish plan on having HD locals for different markets? Do they MPEG4 deployed, or is it still in development? And, do I need more that one dish to get all the HD channels, or a bigger dish than the normal ones you usually see on rooftops?