When it rains it pours!

NR2D

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
Laurel Springs NJ
Boy did I have problems Tuesday with satellite receivers. On the way to work my Garmin 756T died from what turned out to be a firmware problem.:mad: When I got home from work Tuesday I found both of my 211Ks were dead. No satellites could be seen and would not pass the switch tests. No bad weather between Monday night and Tuesday night.

I have a 411 hooked up to a different dish and that was working. I also found out the second output of this LNB is bad!:mad: Looks like a bad switch. So I hooked up the good feed line from that dish to each 211K to make sure the receivers were OK and they were.

I started troubleshooting and found that my +15 year old feedlines from my C-Band satellite days were open. Darn how could that happen to both at the same time.

Friday I spent the morning digging the old feedline up and installing brand new feed line for both receivers. Next Friday I will replace the SW-21 on my 3rd dish to fix a problem there.

BUT the point of this thread is I have a question. As of a couple Fridays ago the only way to watch broadcast TV is now thru my receivers. Thats another story but the problem I ran into is this. When both 211Ks saw they could not receive any satellites they would not let me get past the searching for satellites screen. I could not watch over the air stations.

What could I have done to get past that screen in order to watch local OTA stations?

BTW The Garmin GPS receiver is working now with a firmware upgrade :) but my spare GPS receiver that had the same problem had to go back to Garmin for repair of the failure.:mad:

In times of rain or down pours, if you don't turn to an ota station pretty quick , you won't be able to. The guide data is from the satellite and when there is not satellite connected, no ota. On my dvrs I hit: menu then program guide and then the ota station of my choice during these rain times.

Can't say I've had a downpour knock out signal long enough to wipe out all the guide data.

I use the menu trick though too. It's also possible to change to another sat channel as a stronger transpoder or different sat may still have enough signal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts