When my contract ends . . .

family guy

Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
What can I expect from Dish when my contract comes to an end in March '09? Will they start sending me promotional items or will they call me to try and get me to sign up for another contract?

Are there any success stories out there with the renewal of a Dish contract? Will the floodgates of opportunity open for me or will they offer nothing to stay?

I'm considering the all out switch to Uverse (phone, internet, cell and TV) but am not opposed to keeping Dish as my TV service. If I decide to drop Dish in March how does one go about getting the Dish off of my 2nd story home and returning the 722? Will they come out and get it themselves? Would they charge me for it?

Dish has you on a two year commitment, not a contract. Once your commitment is up, you are on a month to month and you are free to drop Dish service if you want. When/if you want to upgrade your equipment, then Dish will extend or start a new two year commitment. It is if you want to drop Dish during your commitment, Dish charges you about $10 per month for the remain months.

You can pretty much expect nothing. Unlikely you will get a special offer, in my experience.

I doubt you'll be happy with Uverse- read up on this forum about them.

If you call Dish to drop, the CSR will likely pass you to Retention, who might make you an offer. I doubt that the entire dish will disappear- maybe just the LNB, maybe everything but the foot, or somewhere in between. Maybe the entire thing will be left. You don't want the entire thing removed, you'll have holes in your roof. And be making a possible future reinstall more difficult. They'll likely send you a box to return the ViP722, or a guy might come out to pick it up as he picks up the LNB, etc. YES- they will charge you for any unreturned STB, so make sure, if you hand it over, that the guy signs something acknowledging he took it. And any return shipping should include proof of delivery.

Stick with Dish. You don't sound unhappy. Anybody else will give you a lesser DVR. In any event, I suspect by March we'll all be hearing good news out of Dish anyway. And more than just the Microsoft deal.

-Wow, I type slow. Two answers while I'm typing mine!

Dish has you on a two year commitment, not a contract. Once your commitment is up, you are on a month to month and you are free to drop Dish service if you want. When/if you want to upgrade your equipment, then Dish will extend or start a new two year commitment. It is if you want to drop Dish during your commitment, Dish charges you about $10 per month for the remain months.
Do you know what he does with the ViP722 after his committment is up and if he decides to drop the serivce? Do they require it shipped back, charge him for it, or let him have it?

When my contract ends I will be leaving and getting DirecTV for more HD and better service. Since Dish dropped VOOM it just isn't the same and the HD that is available often breaks up.

When my contract ends I will be leaving and getting DirecTV for more HD and better service. Since Dish dropped VOOM it just isn't the same and the HD that is available often breaks up.

I feel about the same way.

I am glad to see that the OP created this thread, I assume I would have made one like it in a few months (closer to the end of my commitment).

Family Guy, if you're happy with the service...stay with E*, but there are plenty of good deals to be had these days. Personally, I see another solid quarter (subscriber numbers) for DirecTV, FiOS, and U-Verse...and another 25,000 leaving Dish Network. Hopefully Dish Network will restructure their packages, pricing, promotions, and customer retention efforts after the New Year.

Answer is Nothing........I have been out of committment since March, have Top 200+Platinum HD, and always paid my bill on time and have received no enticement beyond 3 months of HBO and Showtime free to re-up my committment. You would think Dish would be offering carrots to loyal customers not under committment to get them under one in order to guarantee they will not flee to the first awesome deal DTV, U-Verse, or FioS throw their way........ but then again, their decisions of late have defied logic in my mind.

I have a 622, but not interested in a 722 upgrade (which they will allow me to do for a mere $199....), but why upgrade? I have already paid my EHD fee and hooked one up.......

I've been month-to-month for a year now and just committed to two years with the HD upgrade. India offered me $50 off the upgrade fee for the 722 and waived the first year of DVR service fees when I made some noise about rethinking the commitment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts