When the NFL and CBS Parted Ways in 1994

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
I was doing some research on when CBS lost the rights to broadcast NFC games after the 1993 season, with the last telecast a 49ers/Cowboys NFC Championship Game.

(It was almost fitting for me- it was the end of an era, for a few months later, my family moved from Buffalo to Wisconsin. Fittingly, by the time we had settled in Kenosha, FOX was starting a new era of football televising)

When this happened, I know there was a lot of talk about this:

How could CBS lose so much sports coverage?

Is FOX doing the right thing?

And so on and so on.

Couple of questions:

1. How did YOU feel when CBS and the NFL parted ways back in '94?

2. Do you think FOX has done a good job of covering the NFL since?

I knew the Sunday Ticket was on it's way after the failed attempt by CBS in 1990. It only cost $99 to start.

CBS Suspends Plans to Scramble Telecasts Television: Network blames lack of affiliate `de-scrambling' equipment for decision.
Los Angeles Times - Sep 1, 1990 - MICHAEL GRANBERRY

"At this time, there is insufficient `de-scrambling' equipment in place to allow the CBS television network to implement fully its plans to scramble all of its NFL broadcasts. Accordingly, CBS will not be scrambling all such broadcasts at the start of the NFL season Sept. 9."

Jules Moreland, programming chief for KFMB-TV, the CBS affiliate in San Diego, said the reference to "insufficient de-scrambling equipment" refers to the inability of local stations to receive scrambled feeds and pass them on to the viewers at home.

Anheuser-Busch officials would neither confirm nor deny the boycott's monetary impact, but [Tom Lange] said, "We would like to think that fans and sports-bar owners realize that Anheuser-Busch is opposed to scrambling, and we have gone to the networks to express that concern."

NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue, speaking for the first time on the subject, said Wednesday that scrambling was done at the urging of major advertisers-which Anheuser-Busch denied.

League spokesman Jim Heffernan said he knew of "no conversations between the NFL and Anheuser-Busch," but added, "That doesn't really mean anything. I'm just not aware of any. And if I was, I probably couldn't comment anyway. But I also know of no announcement by the league."

Scrambling of NFL Telecasts Opposed Television: San Diego congressman, citing wide support in Washington, will introduce a bill to prohibit such action.
Los Angeles Times - Aug 29, 1990 - Michael Granberry -

Congressional opposition to scrambling was also heard from Senators Arlen Specter (R-Penn.) and Albert Gore (D-Tenn.). Roy Neel, administrative assistant to Gore, said the senator "respects the NFL's lawful right to protect its copyrighted signals" but to "freeze out" millions of rural viewers across the country who watch games via satellite dish would be "a terrible blow."

The Miami group has been involved in litigation with the NFL, as have interests in other cities. But as Val Pinchbeck, the NFL vice president in charge of broadcasting, said, the league has won "each and every" court case in which television was an issue.

[Glenn Jensen] said the NFL's stated reason for scrambling-that it protects local affiliates and thus local advertisers-is "nonsense." He said the league's sole reason for not offering a de-scrambling package is its fear of antitrust legislation, "which is its No. 1 concern and always has been. It's a monopoly that has to protect the monopoly. The only way to do that is through an antitrust exemption."

------------------------------
Tagliabue Seems to Be Scrambling Over Scrambling Issue NFL: He says advertisers wanted to make telecasts unavailable to satellite dish owners, but a major sponsor denies that.
By Michael Granberry - LA Times - Aug 30, 1990

"Anheuser-Busch as a company was not involved at any point in the decision made to scramble these satellite transmissions (of NFL games)," said the spokesman, who asked not to be quoted by name. "It's strictly an NFL and network decision. Since Anheuser-Busch is not involved in that decision, we would like to believe that a boycott of our products is something we have no control over."

Norman Lebovitz, a San Diego restaurateur who has organized a Southern California grass-roots effort called the Assn. for Sports Fans' Rights, said Wednesday that his group advocates the boycott of Budweiser beer and other Anheuser-Busch products advertised on NFL telecasts. Lebovitz said that his group was planning to join forces with the Miami-based United Sports Fans of America, "which will put our membership over 4,000."

"We're going to boycott Budweiser and other NFL sponsors," said Dan Scott, whose 150-member Green Bay Packers Pacific Boosters Club meets fall Sundays at a restaurant in West Covina, Calif. "They're one of the biggest NFL sponsors. We buy their beer and drink their beer, along with other sponsors'. Now it's time for them to support us."

--------------------------------------------
NFL, Networks Say Outcry Won't Halt Scrambling
By Michael Granberry - LA Times - Aug 24, 1990.

Officials for the NFL and the major television networks said Thursday that they were stunned by the response of sports-bar owners angered over the scrambling of NFL telecasts.

Rep. Jim Bates (D-San Diego) said he had heard from constituents outraged over the NFL's decision. As a member of the House Committee of Energy and Commerce, Bates said he planned to ask the subcommittee on telecommunications to investigate NFL scrambling and decide whether it was legally appropriate.

"I have real reservations about it," Bates said. "So I'm considering legislation to prevent the league from doing it. At this point, it depends on public reaction. If it continues to come down soundly against the NFL, I think the bill can pass. It seems to me the NFL got hysterical and is going against the majority and the needs of consumers."

How could CBS lose so much sports coverage?

The CBS baseball deal, that's how. CBS lost a ton of money on that contract, and because of it wasn't able to bid high enough to renew it's NBA coverage (right around the time CBS televised it's last NBA game was the time it's MLB coverage started) and this coupled with Fox's higher than expected bid led to the NFL granting the NFC package to Fox.

Is FOX doing the right thing?
They started out right, with innovations such as the "Fox Box" which showed the score and time left in the game constantly in the corner of the screen. But now you can argue that all the graphics and sounds on their broadcasts are overkill.

Couple of questions:

I was 4 at the time, and therefore unaware, but looking back on it, it was a huge event in the history of American sports broadcasting. For the longest time three things were a given with the NFL: 1. Most AFC games were on NBC. 2. Most NFC games were on CBS. 3. If the game was on Monday Night, it was on ABC.

Fox changed all that, and it's been a juggling act ever since. In '94, the NFC goes from CBS to Fox. CBS is SOL until '98 when they take over the AFC package from NBC. Then, in '06, ABC loses Monday Night Football to corporate brother ESPN, while NBC gets Sunday Night Football. Meanwhile, the Sunday Night game becomes the new prestigious game of the week, while Monday Night Football becomes the old Sunday Night Football that ESPN used to have, except on a night all to itself, with more needless crap like interviews in the booth, and Kornheiser making 2,372 references to Brett Favre a game. (9,229 during games Favre is actually playing in)

2. Do you think FOX has done a good job of covering the NFL since?
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh...... It's alright I guess, though admitedly I watch the NFL on CBS more often because that's where the Steelers usually play. A lot of the lower tiered announcing teams weren't all that good but it's slightly changing. Their baseball coverage meanwhile is a good test for your gag reflex, especially anytime Tim McCarver speaks.

In regards to pre game, I have moved from Fox to CBS....I like my entertainment, but CBS does a nice job for me of balancing the "entertainment" factor, funny spots where FOX just seems to want to yaulk it up with Mr. Bradshaw

well I remember all these commercials about how to get the NFL when it moved to Fox. Here in Minneapolis the NFC went from WCCO CBS (which is VHF and with its 2 satellite stations cover probably 80-85% of Minnesota) to this station called "Fox" which was a UHF station (channel 29) and only covered Minneapolis. Lots of folks had at the time (and a fair amount still do) use an antenna for TV so it was confusing to alot of folks.

When Fox got the NFL, most areas in Minnesota didn't have access to it unless you had cable. I remember Duluth, MN had the ABC station carry the Fox games (Duluth only had the big 3 + PBS at the time) and then when NBC lost the rights to the AFC then they carried the games until we got a Fox Network in 99

Don't give Fox too much credit for creating the constant score/time graphic. ABC/ESPN used it during their World Cup broadcasts that summer. That's the first I remember seeing it. I agree that all the graphics now are overkill, the broadcasts look like video games now, which appeals to young people I suppose.

Nothing really changed for those of us in Atlanta. Right after Fox got the NFC package, the local CBS Affiliate WAGA-5 switched to Fox. So we didn't even have to change to another channel to watch the Falcons lose.

I did not care that Fox was replacing CBS, it makes no difference.

I remember TV Guide, which was still a legitimate magazine back then, ran what I considered the stupidest article of the decade when it bemoaned that people would be too stupid to figure out that the games had moved to a different channel number.

The only thing people cared about was whether Pat Summerall and John Madden would still get to call games together. When CBS lost the rights to the NFL everybody assumed that was the end of the road for Pat and John. Once they signed with FOX everything was OK.

Am I the only one who thinks this should be in the good ole days forum?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts