When will digital/HD Networks come to E* in major markets?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Ncc1701

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
One would think that with the acquisition of Rainbow 1, Ergen would quickly add the HD local digital feeds for ABC, NBC, & FOX. D* already offers all of them and E* only offers CBS. (I'm in New York City)

Has anyone heard when this might happen? Thanks!

Probably won't happen until the MPEG 4 update is complete and you will probably need a MPEG 4 receiver.

dodge said:
Dont hold your breath
go ota with an antenna, yor bset bet
its free and no more waiting,
Sure - I'll pay you $1000 if you can get me OTA digital TV here.

You city people (definition: anyone that is close enough to get OTA without a huge mast and 10' antenna) burn me up sometimes.

SimpleSimon said:

You city people (definition: anyone that is close enough to get OTA without a huge mast and 10' antenna) burn me up sometimes.

Agreed or no local HDTV!

Who needs the locals ? I wish they would concentrate on adding all the national HD channels. Most of us can pick up the locals with an OTA antenna anyway. I want nationals.

SimpleSimon said:

yep, a lot of people don't realize that for many of us OTA is NOT an option. Where I live, not even cable will come! So my solution was to stop waiting for dish/direct and just get ExpressVu.

Fgsilva said:
yep, a lot of people don't realize that for many of us OTA is NOT an option. Where I live, not even cable will come! So my solution was to stop waiting for dish/direct and just get ExpressVu.

How is the PQ on the HD locals on the Vu??? How much do they cost if you don't mind me asking?

I've come to the cynical conclusion that HD is about
money paid to congressmen. Those ads about how
there are two sets of laws...one for cable, one for
satellite is so true.

Birkoff

birkoff said:
I've come to the cynical conclusion that HD is about
money paid to congressmen. Those ads about how
there are two sets of laws...one for cable, one for
satellite is so true.

Birkoff
Nothing new about that - the NAB started it decades ago. :(

SimpleSimon said:

The best HD antennae only can cover 60 miles, so a lot of people are at the mercy of Charlie and his ilk for television of any sort.

HD Locals = Yes!

I too cannot receive my locals via OTA as I am on the back side of a large hill. In short, I have no OTA TV at all (some radio though). I for one, will be very happy when E* adds the Washington, DC locals in HD.

da Doug

I can't get OTA HD channels either, although I do live in the "big city". I'm located at just under 2,000 feet in the foothills of Rancho Cucamonga, Kalifornia and do not have direct line of site to the transmission towers on top of Mt. Wilson. None of the providers, be they cable or satellite, will truely serve their customers properly until they all offer HD locals through their respective networks. Consumers want a SINGLE solution for their HD content, which, by the way, is the new standard. They don't want to get some HD channels on cable, some on satellite and yet others OTA. Direct seems to think that HD content is some sort of upper class product that should be sold at premium prices for both hardware and service -- they don't seem to see HD as the new standard for the masses. Dish, by contrast, lets people into HD service and hardware in a far more cost effective model that seems to recognize that HD is the new standard for all the peeps and not just for a premium-upscale audience.

Beginning late this fall and through the spring of next year, you can bet the farm that Dish will have their channels and sats all realigned to deliver HD locals and distants, the current HD pak, the full VOOM pak, and any other channels that go HD, such as HGTV and SciFi and others -- remember, HD is the new standard and we will see a flood of HD content coming over the next 18 months.

After nearly two years of HD content stagnation, the flood gates are poised to open.

Everyone needs to tell Direct to shove their $99 HD football fee and move to Dish.

I cant publicly disclose anything but nationals are coming soon with LOL HD.. WHEN? i cant tell you... How ? Cant tell you eather but... if you think about it.. you will see it cauz its so obvious.. Charlie still has Aces up his sleve..... When he will run out of them.. no one knows.. but where I truely see things going is... god forbid... Dish being the # DVBS provider in america by 2007.... Scary EH?

ota hdtv

You city people (definition: anyone that is close enough to get OTA without a huge mast and 10' antenna) burn me up sometimefar from it

I am 55 miles west of downtown chicago, I have a winegard hd7084 on a Tv tower 35' up in the air.

People mess around with those silly stupid terks, winegard sensars and other wanna be tv antennas and when they cant get any ota they bitch and moan, get a real antenna.

Go to radio shck or your local winegard dealer and get the largest outdoor metal tv antenna you can and get it up on your roof, I think that you will find that you will get some hd ota. i have put h10 units in about 75 miles west of the city and outsied of the quote on quote dma, and received 4 out of 5 of the local hd stuff. Thats what people used to use before this pay tons of money for cable or satellite came along.

Hey Dodge - you might want to look up where Florissant is. ;)

There's about a zillion tons of granite between me and the DTV towers, and a lot of it is a mile higher than either them or me.

A few local affiliates have 1mW (that's milli not mega :D :p ) transmitters on a couple of mountains around here, but those are strictly analog, and are down much of the time. I expect those to be decommissioned when ATSC becomes mandatory.

Dodge: Do you do installs in Falls Church, VA? Do you absolutely guarantee this will work? Can you perform miracles? LOL!

Seriously, though - some of us have tough OTA situations.

da Doug

goaliebob99 said:
I cant publicly disclose anything but nationals are coming soon with LOL HD.. WHEN? i cant tell you... How ? Cant tell you eather but... if you think about it.. you will see it cauz its so obvious.. Charlie still has Aces up his sleve..... When he will run out of them.. no one knows.. but where I truely see things going is... god forbid... Dish being the # DVBS provider in america by 2007.... Scary EH?

Ok you peaked my curiosity. Can you "publicy" disclose whether Dish's HD DNS will be strickly O&O or will true white area subs and / or customers with waivers have a chance ? I live in Vt where most of the affiliates won't even be starting digital OTA for another 2 years and even then, signal reception will be very unlikley for most.

SimpleSimon said:
Hey Dodge - you might want to look up where Florissant is. ;)

There's about a zillion tons of granite between me and the DTV towers, and a lot of it is a mile higher than either them or me.

A few local affiliates have 1mW (that's milli not mega :D :p ) transmitters on a couple of mountains around here, but those are strictly analog, and are down much of the time. I expect those to be decommissioned when ATSC becomes mandatory.

Your right SS, people that live in the flat lands have no clue. I live 80 miles from the Portland broadcast towers and have 5000' mountains on three sides. No antenna, amplified or otherwise, will work here.

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)