When will digital/HD Networks come to E* in major markets?

waltinvt\ said:
Ok you peaked my curiosity. Can you "publicy" disclose whether Dish's HD DNS will be strickly O&O or will true white area subs and / or customers with waivers have a chance ? I live in Vt where most of the affiliates won't even be starting digital OTA for another 2 years and even then, signal reception will be very unlikley for most.
IIRC, The FCC is supposed to come up with "digital white areas" to cover those of us that are stuck in a DMA without service.

SimpleSimon said:
IIRC, The FCC is supposed to come up with "digital white areas" to cover those of us that are stuck in a DMA without service.

IMO, they should just use the "analog white areas" as a starting point and build from that. It's a pretty safe bet that the "digital white areas" will be substantially larger.

NightRyder

datwell said:
Dodge: Do you do installs in Falls Church, VA? Do you absolutely guarantee this will work? Can you perform miracles? LOL!

Seriously, though - some of us have tough OTA situations.

I live a lot further out, and I was kinda suprised by this comment. If you have a good sized attic I can get you a heck of an antenna that does wonders way out here, and I'm 70 miles out with mountains in the way.

NightRyder said:
IMO, they should just use the "analog white areas" as a starting point and build from that. It's a pretty safe bet that the "digital white areas" will be substantially larger.

NightRyder

I agree 1000% but that probably makes too much sense.

Besides my conspiracy theory side thinks some of that legislation was written delibertly ambigious to help the affiliates more than was obvious - which is why the NAB didn't make a lot of noise about the final "hurry up" version that got passed in the lame duck session.

larrystotler said:
They haven't gotten FCC approval. It will probably be at least 2006 before they start adding any Digital/HD LiLs.

http://www.fcc.gov/transaction/echostar-rainbow.html

We are just about at the halfway point for the six month review period. Hopefully, by Labor Day they should give the thumbs up to the transaction and good things should start happening fairly quickly for those looking at the 61.5 bird........

Besides the Rainbow-1 transaction, when is E* supposed to be launching another bird (E-10) this summer or fall? I have to think that with the two new satellites, Dish could possibly offer HD LILs into the largest markets by this fall, before MPEG4.

I also note Scott G's mention of this blurb in the 5/4 Tech Chat: "Dish says Dish will start with 10 markets with HD LIL after Echostar 10 is launched later this year.

Charlie says they may not launch a lot of cities for HD LIL since all their HD receivers have built in OTA tuners."

That was at http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=474487&postcount=6

Airblair said:
<snip>....
Charlie says they may not launch a lot of cities for HD LIL since all their HD receivers have built in OTA tuners."

Actually I wonder why he doesn't go after the rural DMSs first just for that reason. Even though there arn't as many customers there, most of the ones that are out there usually don't have any other HD options - OTA, cable or otherwise. His market share would probably be much higher.

waltinvt\ said:
Actually I wonder why he doesn't go after the rural DMSs first just for that reason. Even though there arn't as many customers there, most of the ones that are out there usually don't have any other HD options - OTA, cable or otherwise. His market share would probably be much higher.
Tunaboy is all about the money. 10% of the city customers is still probably more than 100% of the rest of us. :(

larry stotler said:
with mountains in the way.
Mountain? MOUNTAINS? There ain't any mountains east of the Mississippi! :D

Your HILLS are underground from MY point of view. :p

SimpleSimon said:
Tunaboy is all about the money. 10% of the city customers is still probably more than 100% of the rest of us. :(

They are already taking care of about 95% of the US. Why bother with the rest when they are gonna have redo everything with the ATCS conversion?

SimpleSimon said:
Mountain? MOUNTAINS? There ain't any mountains east of the Mississippi! :D

Your HILLS are underground from MY point of view. :p

Hey, we have some out my way that get to 4500ft. Now, the ones around me are only about 900-1700, so they aren't too bad, but they are enough to kill a signal. That's why I don't get datwell's comment. If he does live in falls church, he must have tried one of those useless Terks. I have a WIneguard out here with a 134" span that does well at the store.

larrystotler said:
I live a lot further out, and I was kinda suprised by this comment. If you have a good sized attic I can get you a heck of an antenna that does wonders way out here, and I'm 70 miles out with mountains in the way.

Larry: I am open to any and all suggestions! We live about half way down a large hill that they built two large bank buildings on top of! These are directly in the line of sight from the transmitter towers. Reception was pretty bad years ago before the buildings went up; however, when they went up that completely killed OTA for us (we do get some radio, however). We live near the 7 Corners shopping center - junction of RT 7 & RT 50. (When the "DC Snipers," Boyd & Malvo were on the loose, they killed the FBI lady in the Home Depot parking lot - just a few blocks away.)

We presently get our locals (Washington, DC) from Dish in SD, so we are not completely blacked out. We do wish we could get the locals in HD - especially when our Redskins are playing!

We have a large attic - what antenna do you recommend?

da Doug

Biggest you can get. I don't normally go that far, but I would be willing to give it a shot. If you are interested, PM me with some contact info. Might be a good excuse to go bar hopping in DC on a sat night.... afterwards of course :D