When will Dish get better at lettting us reecord a whole football game

odbrv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 21, 2004
Lubbock, Tx
You would think by now Dish would get better at recording a complete football game. I used PTA to record the Thursday night NFL game. With about 9 minutes left in the 4th quarter Dish stopped recording the game. For the service that advertises how they do sports so well, they don't.

They did not add 1 hour last night . The time bar read 2 hours 50 minutes when the recording stopped. Everyone knows that NFL games run longer than that. With PTAT we have no control of recording anything after the game. We have to trust Dish to know what to do and they failed last night on both of my HWS.

Dish and your receiver have no way to know when the football game will end, I always set a timer to record the show after a football game, just in case the game runs long (overtime, etc.) so I can have the recording to watch if needed.

I don't think PTAT automatically adds 1 hour to a live broadcast like normal tuners do.

Sometimes we just have to fend for ourselves.

You would think by now Dish would get better at recording a complete football game. I used PTA to record the Thursday night NFL game. With about 9 minutes left in the 4th quarter Dish stopped recording the game. For the service that advertises how they do sports so well, they don't.

Interested in how you think DISH (or any provider) knows when a game will end. This game could have just as easily gone another 1/2 hr etc.... or could have ended earlier. I can't speak for PTAT but DISH already pads the length of games, I see it all the time on NESN.
Sometimes the user just has to take responsibility and make changes for something they don't want to miss, and actually sports is the easiest because you know it can go over time allotted. Sometimes an unforeseen event changes the timing of a show, those are much harder to account for.

I thought most people liked watching sports LIVE?

I like to watch live but I do record some sports to save some time. For example I watch my Boilermakers live until they fall more than 3 scores down, usually before the end of the first quarter. I then occupy my time elsewhere but if it happened that they came from behind to win I have the recording to watch. I haven't had to look at any lately. :(

Reactions: SpencerCat
Never depend on PTAT to record a live sporting event.
I think that you are right. The same thing for Sunday shows on CBS. Due to Sports overruns, the only reliable way to get all the shows like Good Wife in their entirety is to set up a manual timer for my ota CBS and I always get all my shows.

I thought most people liked watching sports LIVE?

After using a PVR since 2000, I can't take the seemingly endless commercial breaks. I watched the ALCS game last night, which ran close to five hours live, in a little less than 3.5 hours by recording it and watching 90 minutes late. I ended up about five minutes behind live.

After using a PVR since 2000, I can't take the seemingly endless commercial breaks. I watched the ALCS game last night, which ran close to five hours live, in a little less than 3.5 hours by recording it and watching 90 minutes late. I ended up about five minutes behind live.
I guess I can see that ,but I was just going by what my 75 year old dad always does. He watches live sports every chance he gets and only uses the dvr to skip back on a play he wants to see again and then skips back to live the first commercial break he gets.

On a related note, when watching, say, a football game that's also being recorded as part of PTAT, why does it stop at 11:05pm and pop-up the end-of-recording screen ?

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I always wonder the same thing. For example, what would happen in this scenario tonight at 10pm?

21672341992_64f8f392ab_b.jpg

Even though the local news is set to record at 10:15 pm, am I going to miss 15 minutes of the game? Will PTAT record until 10:15 or will it stop at 10:00?

Also, even if I set up a separate timer specifically for the Giants game and set it to record 60 minutes after the scheduled end time, the Hopper won't create a separate recording because it's a part of PTAT. I cannot tell you how many ends of games I have missed because of this PTAT.

Dish does a great job with the Hopper, but they really need to address ball games and PTAT. At the very least, allow us to add minutes at the end of our PTAT recording. Like 7pm to 11pm instead of ending at 10pm.

Taking this topic on a different tangent, I am getting really tired of ESPN's annoying habit of moving games around. Say your game was scheduled to start on ESPN 2, but for whatever reason, they move it to SEC Network for the first quarter, to ESPN U for the second quarter, and back to ESPN2 for the rest of the game. Try DVRing that!

ETA: This is totally not Dish's fault, Tribune Media's fault or the Hopper's fault. It is all on ESPN.

Reactions: Tampa8