When will SD "go away"?

I am betting that the hd version is the same as the sd version but in down converted letterbox version.

Even if it is Dish is still uplinking it twice on both EA & WA. Its not like locals where they can be remapped 2-3 times (like when dealing with state PBS stations where everyone in the state gets the same PBS but on different channels)
The SD is on 72.7 but the HD is on 61.5

And if you live in a EA market and dont want HD they send you a 211 as the "stock" unit and turn off the HD option in the menus

DISH doesn't put SD locals up on the eastern arc sats at all if they have hd counterparts, so why would they put sd versions of hd channels up there too?
Of course you are making way too much sense for Dish Network. If I read the uplink report correctly, these SD channels are indeed separate data streams, and this makes no sense whatsoever for eastern arc. Edited to add: I see Iceburg beat me to it.

Anyhow, this abject stupidity is done elsewhere, such as the numerous broadcast TV stations that waste bandwidth and reduce quality by sending out an SD version of their HD channel. :eek: Even the free CECBs could decode and downconvert all 18 ATSC modes for SD receivers.

Last edited:
It will probably have to be after 2013. They need SD LiL to meet requirements while they work on getting the new satellites up to do all the markets in HD. A full conversion today for Dish would probably still be in the $1-2 billion range to replace all the SD receivers. A big step will be when they convert to 8PSK, that will probably cost them $500 million or more.

They are essentially doing the conversion now, just slowly replacing everyones set top boxes.

They are essentially doing the conversion now, just slowly replacing everyones set top boxes.

I can vouch for this. I've been putting in more 222s and 211s than ever, and most of them are going to people who do not have an HDTV, and don't say they plan on upgrading. If someone has a bad 301 or 311 we're instructed to replace it with a 211. Dish is slowly getting rid of the MPEG2 stuff.

not the same but still clearer than SD channel
I think we are talking about two different things. I am talking about individuals that stretch an SD program on an SD channel and thinks they are watching HD, not a network stretching SD on an HD channel.

By what I see on my TV screen(50") when a channel goes HD even though I am SD I am seeing

a downrezzled HD picture even though the provider has not added that channel yet to their

HD lineup.

Alot believe that if all SD was eliminated they would get their HD channels that they want faster?.

Good Luck with that idea you will get them when the contract is signed providing the channel

provider has that channel is HD.;)

Also Dish's 625 is the most awesome DVR on the market.This is my opinion after

using DirecTV's R15/R22/HR10-250.The main reason is the 625 has a 2 hour pause

and 2-120 minute live buffers.:D

I shall truly miss this DVR(625) when the change comes and may return to a standard

receiver(no DVR).:(

Anybody care to speculate on when the SD channels will give way to mostly HD?

- Shorty

I'm glad you qualified that. While most programming for TV was film based (including such classics as "I Love Lucy") many (The Honeymooners) were analog quality video broadcasts. Also there were many aspect ratios (Hogan's Heroes) I'll be happy when all video has its best possible digital conversion for SD or HD.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)