When will the 922 be out & will I be able to watch HD on more than 1 TV?

It's starting to sound like AT&T's UConnect beats everyone if you have more than one HDTV? Anyone agree?

It's starting to sound like AT&T's UConnect beats everyone if you have more than one HDTV? Anyone agree?

Not from where I'm sitting. At least in this part of Ohio they can't record more than HD stream at a time. Furthermore, you'll still need a converter box for every HD television. Seems to me that if you're willing to accept a box at each location, then why not stick with either D* or E*? (aside from software issues on the 612, I'm quite content with with having 722's and 612's)

Most people aren't going to want to run HDMI cables through the house. I don't think that is practical. At least the current system uses existing wiring for most people.

If I upgrade to the 922, I will probably try the Sling Catcher route. Once more details come out, I may change my mind.

I would hope that you could use the 922 to sling HD Video and Stereo Audio to a Sling Catcher and watch HD on TV2 from the 922 DVR. I only want one DVR. I don't what to guess which TV I will watch a TV show later when I setting the DVR to record.
I was under the impression that the 922 would have the ability to Sling in two directions - that is, it would have an integrated SlingBOX and SlingCATCHER. Is this not the case?

I already own two SlingBoxes. I am way more interested in what I thought would be the SlingCATCHER ability of the 922. If it won't have it, I'm not interested in it. The 722K would be enough for me, in that case.

Ok whatever you say.
here have a look. EETimes.com - Monster and Gennum enable longer distance HDMI cables
Ten bucks. Again, you get what you pay for.
Now that is not to say there are not less expensive methods. Cat 5 can be used to carry component video and stereo audio over distances with good quality and less expensive than HDMI. I have seen that done. Perhaps that would be the way to go rather than being locked into HDMI.
Cheap HDMI cables are exactly that. Cheap.
NOTE**** I am not one of the electronics need a perfect picture people either.
I don't even know why someone would pay a fortune for HDMI when component gives a pretty good image. If you want WOW!, get HDMI...JMHO

Note that your article restates exactly what I said. It makes a difference OVER 50 FEET. You stated you should pay $60-100 for "mid grade" cable, and I still call bull.

CNET Quick Guide: HDMI and HDMI cables: What HDMI cable should I buy? - CNET Reviews

Should I dig up links of Monster audio cables loosing out to a coat hanger or do you get my point? Under 50 ft, go to Monoprice and buy away. I have a Pioneer Kuro and have compared Monster Cables to cheap, no name brands and it is hard, if not impossible to discern any difference (I am using 10 ft of cable). There is no better review then first hand experience and if you haven't done the same, take my advice: Don't buy into the hype. I'm trying to save you (and others) money, you won't notice the difference!

Note: I'm not using my TV's name to claim I am a videophile or anything, simply that I DO have the equipment to get the most out of this test. I use a Panasonic DMP-BD35 [a very nice if expensive player, by the way] for movies, and have connected it both directly to my TV and through my AV receiver.

If you have contrasting experiences, please share.

Anybody? Anybody? Beuller?
I don't know the answer, but it is an interesting question. If it did, then in theory all of your programs on any DVR (assuming you have all 922's) would be accessible from any other DVR on your account; which would be great! My problem is that there isn't such a thing as an HD sling catcher (I don't think), and without that, it wouldn't be the complete solution.

yeah a low grade cable.. Sure can.
A good mid level cable of 6ft is between $60 to $100 retail. Sure there are cheap cables out there. You get what you pay for.

Total nonsense. The cables from monoprice are great and dirt cheap. If you are paying more than that then you are getting ripped off period.

There is already an HD SlingBox. And, I believe I read that they had HD planned for a future FW update to the SlingCatcher. So, I suppose it is certainly possible to use Sling technology for HD MRV (multi-room viewing)
in Dish DVR's.

But, for me, being able to catch a SlingBox stream directly with the 922, instead of adding a SlingCatcher to my HT, would be ideal. That would be the major value-add for me with the 922. Without it, I'm not that interested in the 922, and would probably be fine with a 722K.

So what Dish should do is come out with a quad tuner box and use sling catchers or sling catcher turbos to display programming on each TV. You get whole house DVR and a simplified setup. Anyplace you have a power outlet, you can plugin a sling catcher turbo.

How about they just enable streaming through the Ethernet jack from one DVR to another, Sling or no Sling, 922 or just a 622. I'm sure that it is possible since ReplayTV did it many YEARS ago. Dish justs wants to add another fee to tack on.

Once again we're talking about a retro fit. Not new construction. And I don't give a damn what you think you know about HDMI. You're a homebuilder. Stick to that
Back off. You want to get snippy, do it on your own time. Conversation terminated.
What is it with you people? Have a differnce of opinion and you go off.
Sorry I forgot , your the installer that thinks your worth a million dollars. :rolleyes:
I will stick to building , and any house I build , Will have HDMI and Cat 6 Ran Throughout the walls, just so you don't have to lift a finger. Enjoy!

For very good quality HDMI cables, HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!
For high quality cables, Blue Jeans Cable -- Broadcast-Quality Cables at Reasonable Prices

Anything more expensive than these two places is marketing hype profiteering.

$200 for a 6 foot, 10 foot, 15 foot, 30 foot, 50 foot, 100 foot HDMI cable is a rip off from a company who learned how to make a better grade cable than the free stuff and then charge 1,000 percent profit by marketing.
Ahh so there we have it. Evil companies trying to make a profit. Oh my heavens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)