When will the first major title be released on Blu-ray only?

When will a major title be released exclusively on Blu-ray?

Votes: 11 22.0%

Votes: 8 16.0%

Votes: 6 12.0%

Votes: 5 10.0%

Votes: 5 10.0%

Votes: 1 2.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2015 or later

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Never

Votes: 7 14.0%

• Total voters
Actually, DVD revenues are declining. That's why the studios are interested in HDM.

lol @ 8 people so far selecting 08 or 09.
Studios like R&B Films (that released "Nature's Journey") or any other specializing in eye-candy releases (i.e. no real storyline to talk about) can do such a release tomorrow.
And all those 12 (by now) people will claim it is a "major title"... :)

Diogen.

I don't think that would be an intentional move though, they make so much money on their DVD sales it's unreal. I understood the post to mean a new release, since catalog titles have been coming out for months without a new SD counterpart.

Yeah, I picked up a copy of The Omega Man on BD a couple of weeks ago. Don't think I ever saw that on DVD, but then again not a major release.

The cost of BD releases must come down significantly, and there must be a portable player of some kind, before I start switching over exclusively to BluRay. I won't say it will NEVER happen, but far enough out that it probably won't matter to me.

Yeah, I picked up a copy of The Omega Man on BD a couple of weeks ago. Don't think I ever saw that on DVD, but then again not a major release.

The cost of BD releases must come down significantly, and there must be a portable player of some kind, before I start switching over exclusively to BluRay. I won't say it will NEVER happen, but far enough out that it probably won't matter to me.

Omega man was out on DVD back in 2000.

Portable players were shown, but no one wanted to release them particularly while the "War" was on. And no word on MSRP.

Omega man was out on DVD back in 2000.

Portable players were shown, but no one wanted to release them particularly while the "War" was on. And no word on MSRP.
Yeah, 1920x1080 in a 9" diagonal screen. Optimal viewing distance: 12"

How about one of the Sony 11" OLED flat screens with the BD player built-in?

Back on topic, I said 2011 because it's two years after the NTSC cut-off. The last CEA report I saw said that 50% of households now have a TV with a digital tuner (not all are HDTV sets) so I'm not sure if the death of old analog TV will fuel the death of SD DVDs.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts