when will the SD stretching on HD channels ever end?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ehren

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2006
Wisconsin
These new discovery HD channels like Animal Planet, TLC and Discovery Channel show commercials and shows in 16x9 SD and I am so sick of it. A&E-HD sucks the bag but they atleast have black bars on the side when a program is not HD!!!!!!!! I am happy that VS/Golf does this as well. When will something be done about this?

When they all can afford to buy new HD cameras. These cameras were so expensive that only the richest networks could afford them. Now they have come down in price, so many more can afford them. That is the holdup !!!! MONEY !!! When everything gets shot in HD, commercials, field work, etc, no more stretchovison

money has nothing to do with whether they decide to display something at correct aspect ratio or stretched.

baby steps, people! the fact that we even got six new channels is good news. this is a progression. its going to take months to years.

i guess you'd rather have nothing, and live with the SD channel until a network had all their programs in HD, and all their commercials in HD?

i agree, current situation is not optimal, but progress is being made. :)

These new discovery HD channels like Animal Planet, TLC and Discovery Channel show commercials and shows in 16x9 SD and I am so sick of it. A&E-HD sucks the bag but they atleast have black bars on the side when a program is not HD!!!!!!!! I am happy that VS/Golf does this as well. When will something be done about this?

Well, when you get named in class action lawsuits because you are showing SD content at 4:3 on everyone's plasma tv and it is causing horrendous burn-in, you change the aspect ratio FOR the viewer even thought they could have done it to prevent their own tv demise.

More HD content will solve this problem, we just need to be patient as they add it.

I am watching "Blue Planet" on the HD Animal Planet channel right now. This was not shot in HD but they have done a good job of up-converting. It isn't stretched at all. There are small bars on the left and right and some loss of picture at the top and bottom, but it is a much more watchable picture than the SD Animal Planet channel. Quit your bitchin'.

I am watching "Blue Planet" on the HD Animal Planet channel right now. This was not shot in HD but they have done a good job of up-converting. It isn't stretched at all. There are small bars on the left and right and some loss of picture at the top and bottom, but it is a much more watchable picture than the SD Animal Planet channel. Quit your bitchin'.

A bitchin' sailor is a happy sailor!

i too dont mind hd stretch, anythings better than bars imho

And, IMHO, anything is better than distorted picture....to each his own.

But....I'm willing to wait & let these new channels get thru the shake-down period before I worry about the aspect ratio. Will see how it looks in a couple of months.

And - really psych'd for History HD. Alot of there stuff already appears to be in 16:9.

if you guys watch anything on those channels that was made in the past two years im pretty sure everything is in HD. its the 3 year and older programing that seems to be stretch-o-vision.

But thats just what i think. if anyone can confirm it would make me feel better :)

So are shows like Deadliest Catch in HD on Discovery? I was watching earlier and it looked better than SD, but didn't look as good as a show on DHDT. Been noticing the small bars (smaller than 4:3) on commercials and some programming on Disc, TLC, etc... IMO this is horrible, just leave the commercials and the programming in 4:3 if its not HD!

i too dont mind hd stretch, anythings better than bars imho

Any decent tv can manipulate pillarboxed 4:3 content to stretch, zoom, crop it to your hearts content. No tv can correct the proprietary non-linear stretching of TNT of the chopped heads of the Discovery networks. Should the folks that prefer their content in the OAR be ignored so people like you don't have to suffer the inconvenience of pressing a button on your remote?

Let's see.. New Channels lit up yesterday.. Complaints are already starting.. I seem to remember Scott making a comment just the other day about how long it would be before the stretch-o-vision complaints hit.. Well.. I think they started 30 seconds after the channels lit up.. And here they are continuing.. What exactly does Dish have to do to make some of you happy. By the way.. It's the channel thats doing the stretching so I guess Dish is actually not at fault in these cases.. I am just happy that Dish added them.. Remember

If you build it.. They will come.. And they will come around eventually. It's about the content. And right now the HD content is sparse.. But we are headed towards the promised land.. You just have to give them a chance to catch up.

Smile and be happy.. It's all good and it will get better. :)

say it to my face!

Damn, your reply was a waste of keyboard strokes, you should be stroking something useful. Or does that need medical attention?

Ok, calm it down. No more of the attacks on each other.

Lets just take a breather and get back to the discussion...

On that point, I am confused by the discover channels -- they don't look stretched to me, but they look like they have had text chopped off on top and bottom. Some of the commercials definitely look stretched, this looks like they did some kind of conversion to 16x9, and it didn't quite work. No?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)