When will we get C-SPAN3?

steve4810

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 27, 2006
Not to say those knot-heads are doing anything useful but it's free and it often is the only place to see important committee meetings when both houses are in session and C-SPAN's charter requires that 1 & 2 stay live from their respective chambers.

Moderator,

Please could you change the title from "will be get" to "will we get"

Thanks

I dont know why neither provider carries it...you figured it would be one of those "lets pay to be on satellite" channels

on a side note....Its amazing that only CSPAN is in the clear on big dish (C-Band)....CSPAN2 & 3 are scrambled.

I dont know why neither provider carries it...you figured it would be one of those "lets pay to be on satellite" channels

on a side note....Its amazing that only CSPAN is in the clear on big dish (C-Band)....CSPAN2 & 3 are scrambled.
Makes no sense at all, which is to say it's standard operating procedure for the cable industry.

To me honest, I thought all the C-SPANs were important channels to me, but I've had Dish for over a year now and never noticed that it doesn't carry C-SPAN 3, so I guess it isn't that big of a deal to me.

It does seem odd that they can't get the channel, though. I always thought it was basically done as a public service and dirt cheap for providers to offer. Like why wouldn't they offer it?

Unless C-SPAN3 actually does discriminate against satelite, which would seem really odd for a channel that shows live congressional hearings with no advertisements. Like it's basically supposed to be a public service and you'd think their mission would include getting it out to as many people as possible-- cable, satellite, digital subchannels OTA, free streaming online, etc.. I didn't think it was a for-profit entity (Maybe I'm wrong about that).

It does seem odd that they can't get the channel, though. I always thought it was basically done as a public service and dirt cheap for providers to offer. Like why wouldn't they offer it?.
From their web site:
"The cable television industry created C-SPAN(Cable-Satellite Public Affairs Network) in 1979 to provide live, gavel-to-gavel coverage of the U.S. House of Representatives."

And this:
"C-SPAN is a private, non-profit public service of the cable television industry that covers the political process. C-SPAN receives no funding from any government. C-SPAN’s operating revenues come from license fees paid by cable systems and satellite companies that offer the network to their customers."

So the reason why is the usual reason why: $$$

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)