This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

When will we get true local weather on 8s

I feel Dish Network should do the same thing. It'll be a lot better than what Dish has right now.

Josh

Will it happen any time soon?
If Dish is working on something equivalent to cable or even close to D*'s, they're keeping it secret. On the other hand, Dish claimed that what they offer today is "just like you get on cable" and maybe they don't feel anything more is necessary.

i like to see Dish improve their Weather Channel Interactive feature to include weather alerts for the area. that would be the best thing for Dish Network to do.

That's one of the reasons I keep cable.

You said it. No single provider has it "all." Each will have advantages and disadvantages, and "true" local on the 8's provided by local cable operations is one of them, among others. There are some Dish subscribers (usually on the west coast), about as many as those who request "true" local on the 8's (meaning close to less than 1% of all Dish subs, IMHO) who consider satellite's use of only the east coast feed (with a few exceptions) of channels to be source of complaint, and they prefer the pacific feed instead. Well, that's another reason to keep cable or other service that provides the feed for your region of the country, if that is what one wants because satellite just doesn't have the capacity to provide all regional feeds--in HD, no less-- any time close to soon with the current DBS infrastructure.

Please, let's put this in the pile with "When is Dish gonna provide it's own broadband internet solution with speeds like DSL or cable?" and "When will Dish provide VOD the way my cable company did?" or "When will Dish play my community's local commercials advertising restaurants in my neighborhood like my cable company did?" etc.

Those things are not easy to provide with the current DBS infrastructure that was designed over 15 yeas ago while today satellite has considerably more pressure form customers and competition for more HD channel capacity, especially ALL LIL's in HD, and especially all PBS locals in HD ASAP pressure coming from Congress (and subscribers) applied to Dish.

If such features as the 8's, etc., are really that important, then would seem to be better off to wait for DBS to solve these problems. Yes, perhaps, doable, quite a bit in the future, but not soon enough for a demanding individual customer to make him happy. In such a case cable would be the ideal service provider for that person.

Last edited:

I understand what you are saying, but I can't get cable. But I still would like to see Dish do, like what Directv did. I don't see what they couldn't do something like that.

But I understand it's not easy to do, and there is lots of other things that are more important.

What DISH has is pretty much crapola. Nearly everytime I click on the interactive icon my signal goes out and the receiver has to reboot. It's never worked good for me and when I have seen it,it's not much,IMO. I just use the computer.

Well I don't want Dish to do anything like DirecTV is doing because I still believe DirecTV has not solved their DVR slowdown problem.Who knows? that slowdown problem might be directly related to"Weather on the 8s".

With my 625 I can access weather for my area and see radar for my area(who cares about the radar elsewhere?,I don't)I can get the five day forecast for my area,If I need more I open the window and look outside! or use the computer because I want my DVR to operate like a DVR not a computer.That's where I believe the problems are coming from trying to make a DVR work like a computer,then you get a slowdown problem and the rest is history and so is your DVR customers!.:rant:

rdinkel has a legitimate complaint.

We live in a rural area.
A few times during the summer a severe thunderstorm or tornado watch / warning would be released by our local stations.
Of course, simultaneously our satellite reception would be spotty or go out entirely due to the bad weather.

We get Dish because of the DVR and programming that isn't available on cable and I am well satisfied.
But, I admit the ability to get up-to-date weather on cable seems a little more resilient than satellite reception.

Don't get me wrong, I am very pleased with Dish. We have 4 HD-DVRs and tons of programming. I was just looking for an update to when Dish would sort out the locals-on-the-8s. It has been a couple years since Dish said they would implement it. What reminded me of this was sitting in a local steak house that had a cable feed of the weather channel on.

That is what the Internet is for. For me anyways, fo some that don't have internet that may be a problem. But the weather on the 8 even when i had cable wasn't that usefull. You can go to so many sites and get free weather, much of it way better then anything you can get on TV. For true local weather weather.gov, then there is so many sites beyond that.

Get a Weather Alert Radio

DISH Network's Interactive weather is not too bad -- it's certainly not perfect and does not come close to cable's "Weather on the 8s". However, I do wish DISH Network would have kept Accu-Weather's interactive weather -- it apparently saved DISH Network some money to drop it about 2 years ago. I think Accu-Weather's local forecasts are more accurate than The Weather Channel's. For those of you wanting weather alerts, you need a weather alert radio. It IS the most reliable method of getting severe weather watches/warnings, particularly when you are asleep. These radios have become more sophisticated over the past decade - the user can program one or more counties, and can now even allow or block certain weather alerts on select models. Based upon features and quality, weather alert radios range in price from $30-70.

Pretty much the reason I stopped relying on TV (or radio, even) for weather. The Weather Channel iPhone app has the ability to give me a local forecast similar to local on the 8's, along with a regional and national forecast, and weather radar. I also get weather email alerts from weather.com. I'm pretty much running out of reasons to rely on TV for much of anything since I can get it all online or through other means.

Yes, I know all about getting weather off the Internet. However, it would be nice to have it on the Weather Channel--just like cable does.

Satellite is what it is, as is cable and FiOS, and AT&T Uverse. Thank goodness the government doesn't require satellite to do the local weather thing like cable can do. This is why there is choice and competition.

I know you said you can't get cable, but accepting the fact that you choose to subscribe to Dish, you have to adapt to satellites' shortcomings. For example, stop relying on TV--since you can't get cable or other similar TV service in your home--for your emergency weather info, and purchase one of those radios that tunes to the weather service and will automatically receive emergency weather updates and play them to warn you. Start thinking out of the box because Dish, most likely, has weather on the 8's just like cable near the bottom of the list of things to do. Wishing that Dish would get to the business of local on the 8's won't help you when the weather is bad today or in the foreseeable future. One has to ask what you are doing now regarding your weather info since you can't get what you want from Dish? Is it not satisfactory, or is it that you just would prefer it on your TV because it may be easier since you are in your easy chair?

I've been almost a year with dish after many years with cable. Yes, initially I missed the weather on the 8's. Central Florida also has a local News13 from the cable company that had weather on the 1's which was 'more local'. But with that gone, I've gone more to checking on my phone - didn't use that feature much before. Also, after getting an OTA antenna, our local ABC affiliate has a 9.2 channel which is a near 24 hour traffic and weather loop. Stumbled on this accidentally and now I check in on it frequently. Maybe there is something in your area. I have used the Dish interactive weather, and it's ok, but these other methods are better for me.

I have stopped watching the weather channel.

All I usually find is Storm Stories and other fluff filler.

It seems real weather is in the back seat.

I have stopped watching the weather channel.

All I usually find is Storm Stories and other fluff filler.

It seems real weather is in the back seat.
I was going through the channels the other night and the movie Deep Blue Sea was on The Weather Channel. That's the first time I've seen a movie on that channel and I thought why are they showing a hollywood movie on the Weather Channel.