Where can I buy the cheapest HR20?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bertbarndoor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
I need clarification on a few items...

1) Is it a buy or a lease--I think they are all leases now.
2) I see some people posting that they got it for something like $99 or less??? Is this possible and how can I get one. I am a new customer.
3) I need to do the install myself. Will Directv ship me the equipment and let me do the install? Please don't offer advice on how I should get them to do it. They can't and that's it. I would if I could.
4) People told me to go with Value Electronics, but if I go directly with D*, they have a credit of $100 which brings the price below D* by $50.

Ideas?

Last edited:
Do you mean the HR20 - you can get the H20 just about anywhere for $99....and almost all new boxes are leased, you can buy them I believe but the prices are very high.

Deals on the HR20 for existing customers are basically "by negotiation" through DirecTV, people have got prices as low as "free". But DirecTV has to do the install (they will install the AT-9 dish also). And for new customers an install is mandatory.

Even if you already have an AT-9 they seem to insist on doing the install.

If you have to do the install yourself (maybe you are in Canada??) then your options are very limited. I'm not even sure Value Electronics will ship to a new customer without installation being included, you will have to ask them. The VE price includes the AT-9 dish, if you buy at Best Buy I believe the dish will be extra.

texasbrit said:
Do you mean the HR20 - you can get the H20 just about anywhere for $99....and almost all new boxes are leased, you can buy them I believe but the prices are very high.
Deals on the HR20 for existing customers are basically "by negotiation" through DirecTV, people have got prices as low as "free". But DirecTV has to do the install (they will install the AT-9 dish also). And for new customers an install is mandatory.
Even if you already have an AT-9 they seem to insist on doing the install.
If you have to do the install yourself (maybe you are in Canada??) then your options are very limited. I'm not even sure Value Electronics will ship to a new customer without installation being included, you will have to ask them. The VE price includes the AT-9 dish, if you buy at Best Buy I believe the dish will be extra.

Yes, sorry, I meant the HR20 (changed header). So DirecTV is out if they can't do the install. If everything you said is gospel, then I guess my options are limited. Thanks though,
Rob

bertbarndoor said:
4) People told me to go with Value Electronics, but if I go directly with D*, they have a credit of $100 which brings the price below D* by $50.
Ideas?
One advantage of ordering the HR20 from Value Electronics is you can set it up yourself, and you only need to call D* to activate it. When I called to activate my HR20, they did not even mention the AT9 dish (I have a Phase III). After paying $499 for my first HD rcvr, thought $299 was a bargain for a HD DVR, even if it was a lease! :)

Last edited:
The advantage of going with DTV is that while they'll insist you get an installation, you could probably negotiate a better price. Mine was $15 out of pocket. The installer dropped the box off, left me 150' of RG6 and compression connectors, and left. :)

Technically you can buy a machine, I "bought" my H20, but in retrospect it really didn't gain me much. Yes, I registered the H20 with D* as a bought machine and it wasn't a problem but it didn't really save me anything. Since I use it as my primary there's no direct mirroring or lease charge (no $4.99 extra) as that charge is hidden in the basic D* package. If I'd used it as my secondary I'd still be paying the mirroring charge of $4.99 or the lease of $4.99 (you pay one or the other but not both). My advantage, if any, is that the machine is registered as an owned machine and I can sell it if I want to. Problem is that I've never sold any of my 6 receivers. The better ones have been passed on to my brother-in-law to upgrade his system and the others (I have 2 extras right now) are in my storage area. One is an HD Samsung but was acting wierd so I'm not sure why I even put it in storage, and the second is an obsolete Sony. Personally, I've probably "bought" my last machine. I have an H10 that I need to replace and plan to go to an HR20 but I'm waiting for the dust to settle and will look to D* for some kind of deal after the first of the year.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)