Where did my HD channels go?

stevegd007

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
San Deigo, Southern Calif.
OK. My issue is I have a marginal signal on the 129. An this seemed to have affected my HD channels, only some HD's were working. Anyway, one day I noticed all the HD channels, that I can receive, suddenly began to work just fine, everyone on them. This was good. I have had great HD channels now for months. Well now suddenly everything switched back to marginal HD channels, just like before.

What happend? There has been no changes in my dish, receiver or anything else I can see. Did Dish move things around on the satellite programing...or what?

Just wondering what might have happened!

Good questions. The LOS is not a problem as the tree that is in the way is a live Oak and has leafs year around. I have put off triming this tree, but maybe now I will. Anyway the Dish has not been moved, the signal strengths seemed to go up (for the 129 for a while) (the 129 was like at 10 and it went up to 25 and now its back down to 10) and now its back to what I had a few months ago., the Dish is mounted on my roof, running just one dish with 3 LNB's.

Its just one day the HD's (all my subscribed) were there, after not being available (well just a few were), then suddenly I had all the HD's, and now everything has gone back to what it was a few months ago. Just totally weird. Cause I have not done anything to change my reception and nothing has moved.

Its like Dish has moved things around on the satellite, changed different transponders, or the programing or something. There is no way for a regular guy to know what they have been doing.

Some of the HD channels are on 110 and some are on 129. Check to see if the ones you have lost are all on 129 or 110. You probably need your dish fine tuned or there are some branches in the way. Can you fine tune it yourself. If not you wll need to get a service tech to do it. In California, you should be getting at least 50 or even 70 signl strength on 129.

Thanks, jerryez. I know that the HD's I lost were coming in on the 129. I was just wondered if Dish has done something different with the programing.

My 129 signal strength is really low, yeah I know this, I am thinking I will have to trim my offending tree and then bump the Dish a little further west to catch the 129 with a little stronger signal.

I was just wondered if Dish has done something different with the programing.

No. Even your highest signal is way too low. A good signal is around 50. You should call for a service tech. They will be able to tell for certain if you have a LOS problem or if it needs re-peaked. Don't mess with it yourself...you might make things worse. Also, 129 is lower to the horizon than 110, which make LOS more the suspect. The dish may need to be relocated to another part of the house, if possible.

Its like Dish has moved things around on the satellite, changed different transponders, or the programing or something. There is no way for a regular guy to know what they have been doing.
Actually, its more like your dish has moved/settled or the oak tree has grown enough to impede the signal. Suffice it to say that if the satellites are working for most everyone else, there's likely something wrong with your installation.

It's pretty easy to find out where a channel is coming from, but knowing and 90 cents won't get you a cup of coffee.

Good questions. The LOS is not a problem as the tree that is in the way is a live Oak and has leafs year around. I have put off triming this tree, but maybe now I will. Anyway the Dish has not been moved, the signal strengths seemed to go up (for the 129 for a while) (the 129 was like at 10 and it went up to 25 and now its back down to 10) and now its back to what I had a few months ago., the Dish is mounted on my roof, running just one dish with 3 LNB's.

Its just one day the HD's (all my subscribed) were there, after not being available (well just a few were), then suddenly I had all the HD's, and now everything has gone back to what it was a few months ago. Just totally weird. Cause I have not done anything to change my reception and nothing has moved.

Your dish needs to be adjusted or the tree is growing into the signal. 25 is too low as los happens just below 20.

Also, 129 is lower to the horizon than 110, which make LOS more the suspect.
Low in the sky doesn't really apply in San Diego. The difference is 1.3 degrees and 129W appears at 49.8 degrees elevation. You would need to be right up against an obstruction.

I live in San Diego and have no problems with any of the HD channels. I have a single dish for 129/119/110

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts