Where do I start for C band?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
on the 1st dish picture (the good looking dish with all the panels) is that a 12ft orbitron?

Hi 1captain, I have the dish at home and I'm still not sure what it is? Shown is the measurement from the center (minus about 3-4" as I was by myself and had to hook the tape to the inner circle).

I'm in the planning stages to start digging as the frost is now gone. I'm planning on getting a 15' pole. It will be installed at the right front corner of the garden shown in the second pic, right in front of the metal ring. I would need some advise or pointers at this point as to how deep and how big of a pad I should have? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Marc.

Attachments

• 100_0063.jpg
    100_0063.jpg
    863.2 KB · Views: 135
  • 100_0064.jpg
    100_0064.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 131
I would need some advise or pointers at this point as to how deep and how big of a pad I should have?
Rule of Thumb is 1 - 60# bag per foot of Dish, 12 bags :0
That may be a little much, depends on the ground, soft and sandy, rocky, heavy frost lift.
The deeper the better. Depending on where you are located and Line of Sight, about 6ft above ground will give you about 2ft clearance when at the far East West Sats.

I was thinking of planting a 15' pole, 5' deep in ground in a 2' diameter hole and having 10' above ground in concrete. For the last 2' or so I was thinking of creating a round concrete pad of about 6' in diameter.

I'm in a city enviroment (Cornwall, Ontario. Canada). Winds can reach 100 KMH but not the norm in the Seaway Valley. The soil is hard packed here near the river.

Does this seem to be right? Any advise would be appreciated. Marc.

Reason I suggested only 6' above the ground is for service purpose, adjusting the Feed / LNB and so on.
What is your frost line? You should be below that.

For the last 2' or so I was thinking of creating a round concrete pad of about 6' in diameter.
I would not recommend that, the Frost will probably lift it.
See the shape in the link below....
C-band Satellite Installation

Good advise Lak7 and thanks for the link. The pad idea is out! I will do some reading there.
My research indicates the frost line is about 45"-48" deep so 5' will be a must.
In the Pic attached, I can see the grounding rod is about 4' away from the pole, and this dish was out in a field. (Why would he have put a 2' deep ground rod in when the main pole is planted deeper???) So it seems like 5' deep X 4' diameter should work. I will do some math to see if 11-12 bags of concrete will fit in that size of a hole.
The 10' pole above ground is for the purpose of still being able to use the garden as my real estate is only 50' x 90', better line of site as 50W will be the best I will be able to do, AND,,, just the right height for being able to try walking under the thing and still bang my head on it!! LOL. Marc.

Attachments

• 100_0061.jpg
    100_0061.jpg
    910.5 KB · Views: 110
Search SatGuys for some info on Grounding the Dish. I think 'cause the Pole is in concrete, a Grounding Rod is used.

So it seems like 5' deep X 4' diameter should work
That's about 12 - 60# bags, to me, plenty, even over kill.
Don't forget, like I did, to put a Cross Bar through the bottom of the Pole.

The 10' pole above ground is for the purpose of still being able to use the garden.....
Just keep in mind you will have to tweak the LNBF, so have a tall enough ladder.
You can always cut the Pole after being installed, if need be.
You are gonna need friends to lift the Mount and Dish to position.

Here is a link with a Ton of info.......
http://www.geo-orbit.org/

Thanks Lak7. Lots of info to say the least..
I'm still planning on where to plant my BUD. There is a factor involved, (line of sight / trees).
The question is,, if anyone can help. Being 45.0189 Lat. x -74.7087 Long. Should I be thinking of looking East anymore than 61.5 W? Lyngsat indicates that I shouldn't be! Is that right? If not, then I'm ok. Please advise. Marc.

58 and 55.5 have enough to at least try for.
That's as far as I can physically go with the BUD.
Lyngsat just breaks into different Zones, doesn't mean you can't get them.

15' pole, 5' deep in ground in a 2' diameter hole
. . .
So it seems like 5' deep X 4' diameter should work.
These two statements shocked me.
I don't know what sort of ground you have, but PLEASE consult the web sites above (including the Geo Orbit I listed) for advice.
You are not installing a 700 lbs commercial dish, so I cannot see a hole diameter of such dimension.

I'm considering a one-foot hole... or less if I can dig it.
Uses less concrete, too.

I can see for miles, and miles, and ...

Being 45.0189 Lat. x -74.7087 Long. Should I be thinking of looking East anymore than 61.5 W?
Lyngsat indicates that I shouldn't be! Is that right? If not, then I'm ok. Please advise.
Lyngsat just breaks into different Zones, doesn't mean you can't get them.
OMG! - :eek:
Yes, there are birds to the east of 61°w you can get!
I input your lat/long to a sat calculator, and you can see out to 20°w with a 15° elevation (if that's appropriate)
30° w Hispasat at 22° elevation would be interesting!
Wish I could see so far to the east!

Hi Anole. The reason for the DIG is because I'm close to the river. Winds of 100+ KMH are normal at any given time, some times more on the mighty St Lawrence River. I have shattered many rotor gears on my HAM beams in the past and have have equipment bend. A repeat of this kind of installation I don't want to do. If the dish rips apart, then I will get another,, I sure don't want to plant another pole. This is a 1 shot deal for me !
The pics posted above, zoomed in, will show that pro installs in my area suggest this. Most likely from experience and recalls.
I have surveyed others and they are done the same. Geography I'm sure varies as you have suggested. I'm don't want to take chances!! For a liitle bit more concrete and get a back hoe and a cement truck in here for a 1 time, I'm going for it!

I must be sick, but spotted other dishes that seem to be in better shape. One seems smaller. Still don't know what the heck I'm going stick on the pole. Bigger seems to pull me for KU/C band but thinking??? Ideas??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)