Where is a good comparison of other options?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

faithntim

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 27, 2003
Granger, Indiana
I'm feeling bummed like all of you, and wondering if there is a good comparison already developed on current options for programming and equipment with Dish vs. Directv vs. Cable.

Also, I was a Dish subscriber for about 4 years...and just turned it off last fall. Will there be any deals available to me since I'm not officially a new customer?

Here's what I posted over @AVS, comparing my two options - Dish is one of them:

DTV looks like crap, no question about it, next to Voom, even worst than Dish AFAIK, so I won't even consider it until they will start offering new HD channels.

OFF
And as somebody said already earlier since AS OF TODAY DirecTV doesn't even deserve to be mentioned on the same page with the word "HDTV", I don't see why would anybody in his right mind to consider to go with DirecTV when it offers crappiest PQ, very expensive equipment, the least HD. Future options - I heard the same story when I left them last year - stop it, I don't but it anymore. :)
ON

I already dropped DTV from my "alternative provider list for post-4/30 era if no miracle happened" - leftover are TWCNYC and Dish...

So my big question is: Dish or TWCNYC?

Based on channels TWCNYC looks better a bit:

Base TWCNYC HD
Ch. 701 HBO*
Ch. 702 CBS
Ch. 703 Showtime*
Ch. 704 NBC
Ch. 705 Fox
Ch. 706 Discovery HD Theater
Ch. 707 ABC
Ch. 710 TNT HD
Ch. 713 Thirteen
Additional HDXtra package ($9/month):
ESPN HD:[Ch. 725]
INHD: [Ch. 721]
INHD2: [Ch. 722]
HDNet Movies: [Ch. 723]
HDNet: [Ch. 724]

Pros:
they are offering 14 channels including cable-only InHD (which I don't know - is it any good?) - from which I already have 5 OTA, so it's really 9 channel and they don't have UHD if I'm correct.
They offer free (rented) HD-DVR.
No need for another (3rd) BUD - ok, these arent really big anymore :) - on the roof.

Cons:
No DVR networking.
I haven't heard anything about future HD channels.

Price is unknown, due to the most retarded pricing page I have ever seen in my life: http://www2.twcnyc.com/index2.cfm?c=dtv/pk_pr&area=BQ
Ridiculous - whoever did this, should be fired for this crappy, low-quality, retarded webpage. :mad:

Dish:

Pros:
reasonable priced ($91.98 per month) "uber" package (everything w/ locals + HDpak + rental fees but before taxes, of course)
there are some rumours that Dolan may have convinced Ergen to offer their syndicated (and perhaps reduced) Voom exclusives for additional cost - which would be a deal maker for me if I can get my favorite 8-10 Voom HD channels for another $10-15 per month.
They have East-West feed, it seems.
No contract.

Cons:
to get two 942 and an SD receiver I have to put down $300 and I will get back $50 in programming credit. SUX.
HD lineup is really pathetic: no TMCHD, CinemaxHD, StarzHD, UniversalHD. POS, period.

faithntim said:
Also, I was a Dish subscriber for about 4 years...and just turned it off last fall. Will there be any deals available to me since I'm not officially a new customer?

Yes, a $25 reactivation fee. I haven't had E* for about 4 years and they want that damn $25 reactivation fee. You are kept in their computers forever.

Just wait till VOOM subs that left E* or D* find out they will have to pay an additional fee for going back. I like to spend money, but I don't just throw it away.

bryan27 said:
Yes, a $25 reactivation fee. I haven't had E* for about 4 years and they want that damn $25 reactivation fee. You are kept in their computers forever.

Just wait till VOOM subs that left E* or D* find out they will have to pay an additional fee for going back. I like to spend money, but I don't just throw it away.

There are a couple of things you can do -

If you are married, have a room mate - put it in the other person's name.

Or ... what we did, we put Dish in a hibernate mode. We were not sure about Voom, and talking to Dish they said this was the best way to do it... it cost $5 a month, and then there was no fee if you wanted it turned back on. They also waived the first 3 months of the fee.

The problem is - Dish's HD package sucks. You get 6 channels for $12.
Not worth the money. That is why we wanted to try Voom in the first place.

There is not a good option. I guess we will just live with the OTA antenna until something happens down the road.

roland

bryan27 said:

So, after you pay the reactivation fee, are you entitled to the same deals as new customers?

-k

Alsio take a look at at Starchoice and ExpressVU from Canada. There is another thread on them. I plan to check that out carefully.

True, there is no option. the only thing that comes close to voom is C-Band (without voom 21 of course), but most of us are resricted from installing a 8 to 10 foot dish in our yards... so much for competition in the market place...once again another FCC joke. Pathetic

Dish Network vs. DirecTV? I'm not saying that what happened to us will happen to everyone. Some people may LOVE being a Dish Network customer, and that's great for them. I however did not and you can read our opinion here:

http://www.dufoenet.com/dishnetwork.html

As a side note: Since switching BACK to DirecTV, we've been above and beyond HAPPY!

I remember when I first logged on these forums all the trolls complaining about how much Voom sucks etc.. now that it's over and we have to contemplate going to a new provider, we realize just how much everyone else sucks in comparison.

I came from DTV/Cable. In my area cable has made some improvements, its really between Dish and Cable because of a DVR, and I'm leaning more towards cable so I can switch the broadband with like 5mb down/768k up for the same price as DSL.

Unfortunately the quality of the signal, and lack of HD channels is going to have me howling at the moon for months.

Is Starchoice and ExpressVU from Canada an option? I called starchoice and they told me i need to be a canadian citizen...?

You have to go through brokers to get Star Choice or ExpressVu.

Check out the Other Satellite forum here.

gutter said:
Alsio take a look at at Starchoice and ExpressVU from Canada. There is another thread on them. I plan to check that out carefully.

I must say, my wife has been a good sport over the last 7 years.
After having Primestar (rip), E* (trees grew in and blocked my signal), and Voom (rip), my only choices are:
1) D*
2) Comcast cable
3) Going back to E*, but the dish would be in my front yard. (not going to happen)
4) One of the Canadian providers, which I doubt would carry any Chicago sports, but neither did Voom.

I emailed ExpressVU to see if I could get their service, and I got the following form letter in response:

Dear **** ******,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. Your inquiry is
appreciated.

Bell ExpressVu would like to welcome all potential customers as
subscribers. However, as per the Canadian Radio and Television
Telecommunications Commission (CRTC), we are only licensed to broadcast
our signal in Canada. As well, as part of an agreement with our
programming suppliers, we do not have permission to broadcast their
networks/channels via our signal outside of Canada.

As per our "Residential Customer Agreement", "ExpressVu reserves the
right to verify that the service address is in compliance with ExpressVu
policies, which currently require the address to be in Canada. If any
Subscriber is found to be in violation of these policies ExpressVu may
disconnect your access to the Programming immediately without notice to
you."

You may find this information in your Bell ExpressVu user manual, which
was provided for you with the purchase of your satellite equipment.

In the event that Bell ExpressVu is made aware of these activities, we
will be forced to voluntarily disconnect your account. Should you
return to Canada and wish to reactivate your services we will be more
than happy to do so. A reconnection fee of $35 will be required at the
time of reactivation.

If you are travelling throughout the United States and will be returning
to Canada, you always have the benefit of using our ?vacation
adjustment? option. For more details please contact our Customer
Service Department.

If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to
contact us at our toll free number 1-888-SKYDISH. Our Customer Service
Department is available 24 hours, 7 days a week, for technical concerns
and activations. For all other inquiries, our office hours are Monday to
Friday 8AM to 9PM, and Saturday from 9AM to 6PM, your local time.

Thank you for choosing Bell ExpressVu as your satellite provider.

mwgiii said:
You have to go through brokers to get Star Choice or ExpressVu.

Check out the Other Satellite forum here.

Settling for one of the "normal", mainstream U.S. providers just sounds so boring and predictable, but maybe not a bad idea after the roller coaster that v* was.

So, you can "back door" one of thoseCanadian providers? Sounds intriguing. Which is better?

-k

klen said:
So, you can "back door" one of thoseCanadian providers? Sounds intriguing. Which is better?

-k

There is a thread started in the VOOM forum on expresvu and Starchoice. Iceman seems to be the expert on this. Also check the "other Satellite Forum" for more info. I did. I am seriuosly looking at it especially since my locals don't provide their networks currently in HD.

Sad part of all of this is D** or Dish will not offer former subs to them anything besides what was said above a 25.00 reconnect fee.I really do not expect/want anything for free but would have been a nice gesture atleast to have let former customers cut back on service for free.In the end us former Voom people are pretty much screwed every which way we turn I hope people remember that myself included next time cablevision tries to sell me on anything again and that includes voom21

gutter said:
There is a thread started in the VOOM forum on expresvu and Starchoice. Iceman seems to be the expert on this. Also check the "other Satellite Forum" for more info. I did. I am seriuosly looking at it especially since my locals don't provide their networks currently in HD.

I've been looking at this avenue also, especially since I have C-band and the HDD-200 works with BOTH the 922 4dtv AND the StarChoice Receiver. Star Choice seems to be better PQ--its stand-alone HD receiver, the DSR500 looks identical to the VOOM box--on the outside only. I don't know if it has Caller ID and it does NOT have the DVI output sadly, BUT the new DVR coming out in May DOES--but it is spendy--$700!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts