Where is a good comparison of other options?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
My Offers from DirecTV and Time Warner Cable

With April 30 on the horizon, I wanted to share the offers I got from my local cable company and my previous SAT provider (DirecTV).

DirecTV:

The offer requires a 1-year commitment.

- Free HD DVR (either a Samsung or Hughes). However, currently the DVR can only get the local channels in SD. HD locals should be available in the Fall 2005.

- Showtime free for 6 months

- HBO for $2 per month for 6 months

Time Warner Cable:

This offer comes with NO contractual commitment.

$20 off the regular basic package for 20 months, so instead of $39.99 per month, it would be $19.99 for 20 months

$40- HD DVR with 4 premiums

$9.95 HD pac

Both offer basically the same HD channels. The only real difference is that DirecTV offers Universal HD and lacks TNT-HD, while TWC offers TNT-HD, but lacks
Universal HD.

I wanted to get some feedback on the offers. Which would you choose? Does anyone have any experience with the DirecTV DVR?

joep said:
With April 30 on the horizon, I wanted to share the offers I got from my local cable company and my previous SAT provider (DirecTV).

DirecTV:

The offer requires a 1-year commitment.

- Free HD DVR (either a Samsung or Hughes). However, currently the DVR can only get the local channels in SD. HD locals should be available in the Fall 2005.

- Showtime free for 6 months

- HBO for $2 per month for 6 months
Do I need to call DirecTV in order to get that deal. It sounds pretty good, unfortunately it's not listed on their site.

Klen, that is why US subs of ExpressVu or StarChoice go through address brokers. US residents are permitted to receive and subscribe to any satellite signals from any other countries they can receive, but with Canadian satellite providers the Canadian law is they can not KNOWINGLY sell subscriptions to US residents. So you're allowed to receive it and subscribe to it under US law, but they can't sell it to you under Canadian law.

Unless one is really stupid like calling them, connecting the phone line to the receiver, or order PPV your chances of being terminiated for not being Canadian are nill.

ExpressVu carries WGN-HD so any Chicago sports transmitted on the local version of WGN you could receive.

So, after you pay the reactivation fee, are you entitled to the same deals as new customers?

No, you are then treated as an existing customer. The reactivation fees are intended to keep you from leaving and to punishment you for leaving; Sort of like a "Ha, Ha we told you you would be back" and then they stick it to you.

I was a DishNet subscriber from 1998 to 2001 and a DirecTV subscriber from 2001 to 2004 and a Voom subscriber from 2004-2005. May 1st will actually be my year anniversary with VOOM :cry: Cable isn't an option so it is go grobling back to E* or D*, live with OTA and my FTA set-up on IA-5 at 97w, go with a Canadian provider, or pull in another provider from another country.

VOOM isn't even dead yet!

You guys should wait until Voom shuts down completely and then see if some service offers a special deal for ex-Voomers.

(Not me, tho. HD-lite does not cut it.)

Nayl said:
I really do not expect/want anything for free but would have been a nice gesture atleast to have let former customers cut back on service for free.

Especially E* since it is our satellite they are buying on the cheap. Hum, I wonder if we can complain to the FCC and say "Look at how Echostar is treating former subs who switched to VOOM by charging them a $25.00 'reactivation' IE: punishment fee. This is just more evidence that the transfer of these frequencies will be detrimental to competition in the DBS and Multi-Channel market place."

1080iBeVuMin said:
You guys should wait until Voom shuts down completely and then see if some service offers a special deal for ex-Voomers.

(Not me, tho. HD-lite does not cut it.)

You hit it right there with me HD-lite doesn't cut it. No matter what they offer I don't want it. I have never been under a commitment and will not live under one.

The problem with waiting is some people appear to be unable to live 1 day without 100+ channels being pumped into their homes.

I will most likely be going a couple weeks with OTA only before going to ExpressVu.

danielle_s said:
Do I need to call DirecTV in order to get that deal. It sounds pretty good, unfortunately it's not listed on their site.

This was also posted in another thread. The consensus on this offer to this point has been that there has been a miscommunication and the "free" DVR on offer is not the HR10-250.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=63232

Maybe there was an offer for a waiver of the monthly DVR fee for 12 months? (I believe the current offer is for 3 months of the HD pack and 3 months of the DVR monthly fee for new subscribers purchasing this unit.)

CDH.

I just got offered a pretty good deal from Adelphia (Southern California). 80.10 / month until the end of the year. This includes basic digital package, HD package, HD DVR, High Speed Internet (I am already a subscriber to this but my bill would be lowered) and free starz, and something else til the end of the year. This is cheaper than what I am paying now for Voom and Internet seperatly. Anyways, just thought Id post my new findings for you.

Nick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)