Where is all the OTA antenna pics...?

TheHamNerd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 15, 2014
Yukon, Oklahoma
Here is my pics of a simple OTA antenna! I am not far from the broadcast range. The OTA antenna is mid mast . The top antenna is 2 meter ham radio. Just happen to be in the picture. OTA2_1.jpgOTA3_1.jpg

TheHamNerd

The antenna is a Winegard Free-Vision outdoor HDTV antenna.
It has okay specs:
Antenna Gain (dB) 6
Range (miles) 30
[h=4]PRODUCT OVERVIEW[/h] The FreeVision by Winegard is an ultra compact outdoor HDTV antenna specifically engineered for digital TV reception. The FreeVision pulls in top rated shows from your local broadcast stations in better quality than cable, satellite and streaming with NO monthly fees or contracts. It's compact size makes it easy to mount in a variety of locations including your attic or roof and can deliver signal to multiple HDTVs.

• Patented element design with reflector for increased gain
  • Ultra compact design blends with housing exteriors and fits into attics with ease
  • Easy DIY installation
  • Made in the USA

Terrestrial digital DB8 with a Radioshack amplifier. I'm in New Britain, CT and it's pointed straight toward Springfield, MA to get those stations (PBS especially). Even though it's aimed north I still usually get MyTV out of New Haven. Not a blip of 38 out of Hartford, though, and no VHF.

ant.jpg tvfool.jpg

well lets see....
right now I have a simple HBU22 on the roof of the house I am renting. Could easily use rabbit ears as I am 2 miles from the towers

When I lived in Minneapolis suburbs it was that same HBU22 then upgraded to a 8 bay UHF antenna and a 5 element VHF one. Had to chop off one of the elements due to not being able to fit in the closet (lived in an apartment)

Attachments

• PICT0006.JPG
    PICT0006.JPG
    862.1 KB · Views: 288
  • PICT0011.JPG
    PICT0011.JPG
    805.2 KB · Views: 281
When I lived in my house (up until Dec 2012) I had 3 antennas

-HBU44 for Minneapolis (29 miles away) but mainly used for pickling up distant stations
-HBU33 also for Minneapolis. Reason I did that was I had 6 spots the antenna needed to go to. The AM21 on the back of the Directv, the tv in the living room, bedroom, computer room, basement and my neighbors garage. Lived in townhouse and neighbor couldnt get good reception so we were able to get a line into his garage (the bedrooms sat on top of the garage so it was pretty easy to do). 4 lines from the HBU33, 2 from the HBU44 (TV and AM21)
-10 element VHF only antenna aimed SW for KEYC Mankato (the only station in that market...CBS main Fox subchannel)

Attachments

• PICT0101.JPG
    PICT0101.JPG
    676.7 KB · Views: 273
  • PICT0154.JPG
    PICT0154.JPG
    326.2 KB · Views: 264
This is pretty basic stuff a Channel Master 4221Hd about 40 ft up aimed almost due south toward Buffalo. I have a clear shot across Lake Ontario. It also picks up local Toronto stations off the back side from the CN tower. During temp inversions and ducting Rochester (100 miles away) comes in even though it is due east.

Attachments

• CM 4221.JPG
    CM 4221.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 254
If you look through the dish, you can see my Winegard HD8200U on the edge of the roof. Somewhere I have a better picture, but couldn't find it. :rolleyes:

attachment.php

I'm only 3/4 of a mile from Sutro Tower - it's plainly visible out of my living room window (except when the fog comes in) - and a short piece of wire picks up all 11 channels from there. My roof top antennas are for the more distant stations to the north, north east, east and south.

Larry
SF

I've posted this elsewhere in the forum in previous posts, but I'm still rather proud of it.
100_0891.JPG
I receive more than 40 channels from the Detroit and Toledo markets. I still find myself wondering why I pay for TV at all. Most of the time, I find myself watching OTA.

I've posted this elsewhere in the forum in previous posts, but I'm still rather proud of it.
View attachment 97476
very nice
I receive more than 40 channels from the Detroit and Toledo markets. I still find myself wondering why I pay for TV at all. Most of the time, I find myself watching OTA.
how are the combined? Since both markets have VHF & UHF stations wouldnt they try to clash (like the VHF from Detroit and the VHF from Toledo)

interesting. When I tried to do that (combine 2 antennas) I had some signal issues. I ended up using a separate VHF/UHF combiner to combine the antennas I have in post 5

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)