Where is ESPN2 HD? Am I missing something?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

absolutic

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
Hi, I guess, I have not been following this forum very closely, but I've seen posts where Universal HD and ESPN2 HD were supposed to be on around this time. Universal HD is here (not sure if forever or just for duration of olympics) but I cannot find ESPN2HD. Or maybe ESPN2HD is MPEG4 only so I am not finding it because I have DISH811?

Universal HD is available to all HD subscribers for the length of the Olympics, however once the Olympics are done it will only be viewable by a new MPEG4 receiver.

ESPN2HD is also up and available to those with MPEG4 receivers.

Well you'll need the new recievers to get both Universal HD and ESPN2

universal is only on your 811 now because of the olympics

That's what I figured. I paid 400$ for my 811, I kinda don't want to pay $300 more to get 622....
and my 811 has a combined guide including HD locals over the air. Per Scott's review 622 won't have this guide which I find very helpful

absolutic said:
That's what I figured. I paid 400$ for my 811, I kinda don't want to pay $300 more to get 622....
and my 811 has a combined guide including HD locals over the air. Per Scott's review 622 won't have this guide which I find very helpful
The 211 ($49 upgrade) is the replacement for the 811. But you won't get locals EPG with that either, without Dish locals.

How do you get the upgrade? Do you just call them and they send you a new one in the mail? Or you have to schedule an installation and pay them $$ for that 2? I can install my own damn receiver.

final question: my 811 sends signal through DVI and Components at the same tv (so I can watch my HDTV in 2 rooms). Does 211 support this feature or you can only use either DVI or Component

absolutic said:
my 811 has a combined guide including HD locals over the air. Per Scott's review 622 won't have this guide which I find very helpful

The 622 will be like the 942. It will have HD OTA locals in the EPG as long as you subscribe to the E* locals.

absolutic said:
final question: my 811 sends signal through DVI and Components at the same tv (so I can watch my HDTV in 2 rooms). Does 211 support this feature or you can only use either DVI or Component
HDMI and component are both active at the same time, but there's only one set of audio outputs on the 211, so you'd need a 'Y' adapter to split the audio.

There is one set of analog audio (RCA jacks). There is also an optical audio output if you are connecting to a receiver or processor via digital. There is also an audio stream within the HDMI connector, if you have a TV that can decode this.

And just in case you are wondering, if you are using the RCA jacks audio output, you can split them with a Y-Adapter with no negative effects on the audio, unlike if you try to split a video output.

I am glad HDMI and components are active at the same time. I will keep my 811 for as long as they keep MPEG2 HD channels (I have both HDPACK and VOOM). Once they start phasing out MPEG2 to go to MPEG4 I will have no choice but to upgrade....

Well I have a 411 and I have never had a issue with either Channel ESPN2HD or UNIHD.

absolutic said:
Hi, I guess, I have not been following this forum very closely, but I've seen posts where Universal HD and ESPN2 HD were supposed to be on around this time. Universal HD is here (not sure if forever or just for duration of olympics) but I cannot find ESPN2HD. Or maybe ESPN2HD is MPEG4 only so I am not finding it because I have DISH811?

OK, let's try to make this as succinct as possible........

E* has added new HD channels. E* also wants to start moving the installed base to a more bandwidth friendly Mpeg4 HD receiver.... Soooooo, E* decided that the new HD channels will only be available in Mpeg4 so only the new receivers can see them. Except that the Mpeg4 streams are still too buggy (THAT is a frightening statement coming from the less than rock solid E* technology dept.), so they will be broadcast in Mpeg2. Um, but we're gonna LABEL them as mpeg4 to trick your receivers into not being able to see them.

Also, E* promised a special olympics HD feed for the Olympics. Um, not the handi-capable Special Olympics, but a special channel for the Olympics. But evidently, NBC decided NOT to get yelled at for showing a 24 hour delayed, 3 hour block of HD programming like they did in Athens. So they decided INSTEAD to blow it off entirely which is so much better! (sigh). SOOOOOO, in order to fight off the potential lawsuits, they copied the mpeg4 labeled Universal HD mpeg2 feed, relabeled it to an mpeg2 mpeg2 channel, and it is in the clear for HD subscribers. At least until after the Olympics when it won't be anymore.....

Ow. My head hurts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)